Eternal White Belt

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When young students asked me how it felt to be a black belt, I would say "I don't know--I'll always be a white belt." 'Course I know that most people who want to keep learning go find another art they like. I went a different way. I've stuck with WingChun, but let it lead me into non-MA fields. It wound up providing me with a dissertation for my Ph.D.

Are there others in MT who have gone a research route?

Eternal White Belt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No Ph.D., but I've been researching the history of the various martial arts for about 15 years.

P.S. - Love the title. :ultracool

OP
yrwca

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No Ph.D., but I've been researching the history of the various martial arts for about 15 years.

P.S. - Love the title. :ultracool

Hey, That's great.
Ever consider writing something for, say, Journal of Asian Marital Arts?

Thanks. Maybe I should have used that as my handle. Wasn't thinking creatively at the time.

Hey, my version of that 15 years is what led to the degree. I just happened to share what I was doing with the right person over lunch. I'm serious! I didn't go looking for it. I just sorta walked into it.........like something sticking out ya hit your head on. :)

So who knows, ya know?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
When young students asked me how it felt to be a black belt, I would say "I don't know--I'll always be a white belt." 'Course I know that most people who want to keep learning go find another art they like. I went a different way. I've stuck with WingChun, but let it lead me into non-MA fields. It wound up providing me with a dissertation for my Ph.D.

out of curiosity, what is your PhD in?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When you get your PHD...will you accept this rank/title? ...If you do? than How come you cannot accept the rank of a Black Belt?

You sound like you had earn it? ...don't be ashame! You are missing the point ( one of these years...you will understand).....growing up and accept responsiblity for yourself.

If you did learn scuba and earn a master diver ( will you still consider yourself a white belt? in Scuba? and not accept this?

You may have a thousand years of training...but no title to back it up..

Why get a PHD for? it is only a title/rank???

There will always be ALL KINDS of Black Belts,..some will be awasome, some just good, many may not last in a real fight. But it is something you EARN!!

Just my thoughts on this...."Sorry"....people should learn to accept what they earn.........YOU work and train so hard for...Aloha

OP
yrwca

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, StillLearning!
Look at my first post. I was talking to a children's class. They understood immediately because they had the context. The context was their assumption that once you were ordained an "expert" that you knew-it-all, had nothing else to learn. I was saying to them that there was always more to learn--the farther you go, the more appears before you. It expands, it doesn't contract. It's just a matter of where you go next. Looking at your penname: "StillLearning" and your profile including a 2nd Dan, I think you know what I mean. Yes, I worked my guts out for it. But I know that what I earned was access to a whole new level of work. Someday I will die long short of any "summit". It's the trip that matters. Ever heard of an old poem called "Ithaca"? I like that one. I wonder if I can find my old copy.....

A friend once told me about his 1st Dan test. Afterward, his instructor took him aside and told him, "Now you're ready to begin." Wish I had met that instructor.

I do accept it. But I'm still a little startled when someone addresses me as "Dr. ....".

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Sorry ..It is just there are so many people who says I don't like promotion to be a black belt or once they get there...they feel getting to the next rank is not important..even if there Sensi said take the test..

When someone says they will aways be a white belt....? UM...when will you reach the next level? The learning never will end.....achieveing a higher level is always our goal!

Sorry again...Yes you are right...I still got alot more to learn..and the learning never ends...learn a lesson here....Thank-you and Aloha

PS: A white belt is learning the basics...a black belt than learns to master the basics...one of the purpose of the different colors and ranks...which helps the Instructors with your learning and what to teach you next....

OP
yrwca

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Sorry ..It is just there are so many people who says I don't like promotion to be a black belt or once they get there...they feel getting to the next rank is not important..even if there Sensi said take the test..

Surely you know by now that there can be a whole lot of other factors on whether to test or not...on both sides, the student and the Sensei. Some of those factors maybe "shouldn't be there" but they are. Life is, whether we ok it or not.

When someone says they will aways be a white belt....? UM...when will you reach the next level? The learning never will end.....achieveing a higher level is always our goal!

Sorry again...Yes you are right...I still got alot more to learn..and the learning never ends...learn a lesson here....Thank-you and Aloha

Aloha to you, too. You are always Whole. That can not be taken from you.

PS: A white belt is learning the basics...a black belt than learns to master the basics...one of the purpose of the different colors and ranks...which helps the Instructors with your learning and what to teach you next....

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was made the official Historian for Yasashii Do Martial Arts, and I really enjoy delving through the histories of the various arts I've studied - usually finding something that really perks my interest whereby I have to fish it out. Then I rinse & repeat with the next item.

OP
yrwca

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was made the official Historian for Yasashii Do Martial Arts, and I really enjoy delving through the histories of the various arts I've studied - usually finding something that really perks my interest whereby I have to fish it out. Then I rinse & repeat with the next item.

"rinse and repeat"--interesting phrasing. I can read that more than one way.

Eternal White Belt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey, That's great.
Ever consider writing something for, say, Journal of Asian Marital Arts?

Hey, my version of that 15 years is what led to the degree. I just happened to share what I was doing with the right person over lunch. I'm serious! I didn't go looking for it. I just sorta walked into it.........like something sticking out ya hit your head on. :)

So who knows, ya know?

Actually, I'm leaning toward publishing a book. If I can ever get to the point that I'm comfortable with submitting an outline to a publisher. If only there were more time to devote to it.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes.

Doctorate in chemistry, working with protein structures, and cancer research. Between the research and the martial arts, there's very little time to spend elsewhere, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The most difficult times were when I was a postdoctoral fellow. Money was very, very tight, rent in New England was expensive, and the dojo where I was training, was a good distance away. Still, I found the time to train twice a week, and thankfully, my sensei was (and always will be) a very understanding lady (thanks, Sensei Fran!), and patient with my financial situation.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have been studying the MA for about 30 years..I refer to my self as a 10th Degree White Belt..

Latest Discussions