Epic Win! Student uses Westboro Baptist Church visit as Fundraiser!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brilliant protest strategy.

UIC student Jason Connell used the appearance of the hate group to raise money for queer rights groups such as Human Rights Campaign, International AIDS Foundation and Chicago based Jerusalem Open House. Donations were named in honor of the Westboro Baptist Church and community thank you cards will be sent from the non-profits to WBC leader Fred Phelps. Connell called it a, "Lemons to Lemonade" situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Of_2ykZpQ&feature=channel

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow!! That is fantastic!! What a great idea.

Well done :) :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though I don't support homosexuality, I think this kids strategy is genius. I hate Westboro and what they stand for. They give us Baptist a bad name. I amglad to see someone stick it to the Westboro "Church".

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anything that shafts these worthless mother****ers is AOK in my book.

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Though I don't support homosexuality, I think this kids strategy is genius. I hate Westboro and what they stand for. They give us Baptist a bad name. I amglad to see someone stick it to the Westboro "Church".

I believe every Baptist organization of note has condemned the WBC for its antics.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe every Baptist organization of note has condemned the WBC for its antics.

I'm not sure they're even a legitimate Baptist group. Virtually every member of the WBC are the family members, extended or not, of the leader. The outrageous lawsuits they open are the means through which they live.

OP
Gordon Nore

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure they're even a legitimate Baptist group. Virtually every member of the WBC are the family members, extended or not, of the leader. The outrageous lawsuits they open are the means through which they live.

Yes, I recall reading that the core membership are family or extended family. I believe they share a family compound. Perfect setting to indoctrinate the children and control assets. In other words: a cult.

Malleus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, even I've heard of the WBC. Apparently they hate Ireland as well as all the usual targets :D http://www.godhatesireland.com/

Fantastic strategic thinking by that guy, to be honest I don't know if I could have maintained such a level head had they arrived at my campus. What they really need now is for people to copy this approach wherever Phelps and Co. travel, so that their campaigning is making their 'enemies' stronger. It'll smother them totally. Fantastic.

For those who would like to flirt with an aneurysm, Louis Theroux did an hour long documentary on the WBC you can watch here: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-most-hated-family-in-america/ . Some of the characters in it are difficult to describe other than distilled evil, but there's one or two of the family that seem slightly mixed up. Louis kinda ends up getting close-ish with one of the daughters towards the end, even though she relishes the thought of him burning in hell for being a 'fag enabler.' Great watching all the same.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I posted on Facebook a while back about how the Phelps hated Lady Gaga. I wasn't much of a fan either, albeit for different reasons, haha! I told FB I could learn to love Lady Gaga just to spite those s.o.b.s and their b.s. Awesomeness to those students! Victory Not Vengeance!

Andrew

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, even I've heard of the WBC. Apparently they hate Ireland as well as all the usual targets :D http://www.godhatesireland.com/

Instead of registering a bunch of godhates_____.com websites, it might be easier and cheaper, from the WBC's viewpoint to register things that God likes, assuming there is one. Kinda makes you wonder why a Supreme Being would bother making so much stuff he hates. Guess he had a lot of time on his hands.