EPAK schools in SoCal

Tong Po

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone I apologize ahead of time for the long post,

Let me start by saying I've always been a fan of Ed Parker and his style/theories on the martial arts. I actually started my martial arts training at a Fred Villari's/USSD in CT for a few yrs (having read previous posts and having ACTUAL opinions/experience not hearsay on the chain I'll still remain quiet on the subject.) I then switched to TKD and received my 1st Dan. So I don't really know very much about EPAK except from what I've seen at tournaments and discussions with Mr. Tony Cogliandro (not sure of his appropriate title but he's a 9th Degree under Grandmaster Parker)

So anyway, I'm now living in Southern California specifically the Burbank/Glendale Area and was curious if anyone knew any good EPAK schools in the area. I saw that there is a Jeff Speakman Kenpo school in Pasadena which is about a 20 min drive for me. The Instructor is Antranig (Anto) Parseghian a 4th Dan under Mr. Speakman. Anyone who knows anything about him, this school, or any other nearby school (closest to Glendale/Burbank preferred due to hellacious evening LA traffic) will be greatly appreciated.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi everyone I apologize ahead of time for the long post,

Let me start by saying I've always been a fan of Ed Parker and his style/theories on the martial arts. I actually started my martial arts training at a Fred Villari's/USSD in CT for a few yrs (having read previous posts and having ACTUAL opinions/experience not hearsay on the chain I'll still remain quiet on the subject.) I then switched to TKD and received my 1st Dan. So I don't really know very much about EPAK except from what I've seen at tournaments and discussions with Mr. Tony Cogliandro (not sure of his appropriate title but he's a 9th Degree under Grandmaster Parker)

So anyway, I'm now living in Southern California specifically the Burbank/Glendale Area and was curious if anyone knew any good EPAK schools in the area. I saw that there is a Jeff Speakman Kenpo school in Pasadena which is about a 20 min drive for me. The Instructor is Antranig (Anto) Parseghian a 4th Dan under Mr. Speakman. Anyone who knows anything about him, this school, or any other nearby school (closest to Glendale/Burbank preferred due to hellacious evening LA traffic) will be greatly appreciated.
Who else?
Sean

BudoTiger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Also checking into some different styles and interested in whether or not there is one in the inland empire area. rancho/upland/san bernardino.

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know a totally awesome Kenpo teacher out in Westlake Village if you don't mind the 20 minute drive . . . oh, . . . I guess that would be me. :ultracool

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There used to be about 4 or 5 people teaching the Parker system around Aneheim but i am not sure if they are still there
A yellow pages check should help

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Clearly you're not from Southern Cal. Anaheim - Burbank? :)

Anything past Albany is way out west to us, sir. ;)

kenpostudent

White Belt
Reaction score
If I were in SoCal and were looking for a school, I would take a trip to Pasadena to see Larry Tatum. If someone didn't want to train with Tatum, Rick Jeffcoat is a great 7th degree black belt who studied for years under Tatum. He is actually in Pasadena, as well, about 2 miles from Tatum's school. I can't think of anyone else to train with.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I were in SoCal and were looking for a school, I would take a trip to Pasadena to see Larry Tatum. If someone didn't want to train with Tatum, Rick Jeffcoat is a great 7th degree black belt who studied for years under Tatum. He is actually in Pasadena, as well, about 2 miles from Tatum's school. I can't think of anyone else to train with.

Some of the greatest and most legendary kenpo seniors and teachers are located in So. Cal., with Larry being only one. In the Pasadena area you can also find Frank Trejo, Tommy Chavies, and until recently, Steve Hearring. These are just a few. Expand your definition of So. Cal. beyond Pas, and you're into Ron Chapel in Torrance, Bob White in Costa Mesa; inland empire has a bunch of guys in it; LA county is full of kenpoists, many of whom have been immediate students of Ed Parker's...the list is quite long. Can't think of others = can't think.

Dave

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

There are LOTS of people in Southern California. First generation students like Bob White in Costa Mesa, Frank Trejo also in Pasadena, or Bryan Hawkins in West Los Angeles, and second gen students like Tommy Chavies in Arcadia, or Mohamad Tabatabai in Woodland Hills. Larry's good, but he's not the only one. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are LOTS of people in Southern California. First generation students like Bob White in Costa Mesa, Frank Trejo also in Pasadena, or Bryan Hawkins in West Los Angeles, and second gen students like Tommy Chavies in Arcadia, or Mohamad Tabatabai in Woodland Hills. Larry's good, but he's not the only one. :)

Or Martial Science University... ;)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Visit all the schools and meet the instructors. There are also Kenpo seminars going on which may help you decide.

You can check out a few instructors on YouTube.

Quite a few of high caliber instructors here in Southern California.

Latest Discussions