Environmental Awareness

C

C.E.Jackson

How many of you use Environmental Awareness exersizes?
I use several.

1. As the students are lined up to bow in to class I have them close there eyes and one by one I have them point to an object in the training area such an the sparring equipment bag of other object than can be easly relocated for the drill.

2. I sometimes use a field trip to "observe" the natural positions people stand toward each other in different circumstances.

3. I also use field trips to study the "Environment" pointing out structors, poles and windows pointing out there impact in the event of a developing "situation". ... Then it's the students turn to identify these environmental factors as we continue our trip.

:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also have my student's tell me whether their opponent is right or left-handed, left or right-footed.

I focus a lot on peripheral awareness, not just vision. We work on targets for beginners because peripheral vision is not binocular and cannot judge depth, placement of target, etc.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

OP
B

brianhunter

This was stressed big time when i was at the kansas law enforcement training center (State academy)...........we went through alot of things and the biggest thing they try to instill is "distance is your best friend" they even had studies that show the MINIMUM distance from a decent knife fighter is 21 ft.
We did mock scenerios in homes, businesses and outside surrondings. It changed alot of perceptions of what I had as far as what weapons are and what is considered such.
We went through stuff even as simple as positioning yourself when you talk to someone and how to coordinate yourself with a partner to stay safe.
I guess the best and worst part was watching videos of officer deaths and seeing how they did not pay attention to their environment. People get too hung up in what works in sparring and forget about environment and what will go on the streets.
It has been awhile since I read it but in Inf Insights Vol 5. wasnt environment the first consideration to self defense training??

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

studies that show the MINIMUM distance from a decent knife fighter is 21 ft.

21 feet? Really? Is that taking into concideration throwing distance as well or something? Seems pretty far away. Just wondering.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
is also in volume I as the first prepatory consideration.

We also had the 21' rule as the minimum safe distance for you to clear leather, aim, and fire. I was able to close 18' recently at my school working on knife defenses, and stressed it made more sense to run away from the weapon, rather than towards it ... if you have that opportunity. It is about survivability for civilians, not control.

Oos,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, it has nothing to do with throwing. It has to do with 21' being 3 large steps instead of 2. holster a knife or gun sometime and try it. This is only 7 yards, or 7 steps away. Sprinting or jumping this can be covered in fractions of a second. Unless you are moving back also (back not up against a wall) they can get to you a lot quicker than you think. I had an extremely overweight sheriff demonstrate this to me once as he disarmed the handgun and deflected it. He had been taught: redirect, seize, control, disarm - just in a different context. And he slapped me upside the head to boot.

Granted, I faded and parried the slap, but it was there. Good for him!!!!

-Michael

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

Nope, it has nothing to do with throwing. It has to do with 21' being 3 large steps instead of 2. holster a knife or gun sometime and try it. This is only 7 yards, or 7 steps away. Sprinting or jumping this can be covered in fractions of a second. Unless you are moving back also (back not up against a wall) they can get to you a lot quicker than you think. I had an extremely overweight sheriff demonstrate this to me once as he disarmed the handgun and deflected it. He had been taught: redirect, seize, control, disarm - just in a different context. And he slapped me upside the head to boot.

Granted, I faded and parried the slap, but it was there. Good for him!!!!

-Michael

Wow, never thought about it like that! Thanks!

OP
R

Rainman

Environmental Awareness
is also in volume I as the first prepatory consideration.

Acceptance is the first consideration in vol 1. It is also in vol 5 under freestyle. Environment is first in vol 5 under self defense.

:asian:

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

I like to thing of Environmental Awareness as the No1 consideration. With proper awareness a "situation" can be avoided (usually), which is (almost) always preferable to conflict.:D

OP
B

brianhunter

What Mr. Billings said was dead on.....best way to understand it is to have someone try and YES 21 feet is the MINIMUM given time to react draw whatever you will do...thats not even considering he can throw the d@mned thing ;).
Try it when training it will make you rethink your "environment" !!!
Thanks for the clarification Mr. B well said !!!

OP
T

tonbo

I used to run a Saturday afternoon sparring class at our school, where I would introduce environmental awareness.

We would do various drills, especially sparring, in differing situations, using furniture, blockers, other students, etc. What I would do would be to set up a "room" with chairs, walls defined by blockers, kick pads to represent various other pieces of furniture, etc. I would then place other students within the "room", who were non-combatants (to start). Two people would begin sparring in the "room", with the understanding that they had to try and avoid all the furniture and other people. If they by mistake tagged a non-combatant, then the person tagged could, if they desired, get involved in the fight and change the dynamics.

We did situations where we set up a street (with plate-glass shop windows--defined by blockers, of course), a library, a living room, etc. It was great fun, and put a lot more perspective on sparring for most people involved. Showed a lot about how situation can dictate the techniques people may use for protection.

Peace--

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

We went through stuff even as simple as positioning yourself when you talk to someone and how to coordinate yourself with a partner to stay safe.

That idea of positioning is great. Geoff Thompson, a world famous, bouncer, author, marital artist etc... out of England has a concept that he calls "the fence" and its all about positioning and posturing yourself to be in a dominate position (based on his years as a bouncer) without the other person being aware.

Making simple gestures like patting a guy on the back as you speak to him (you've got position), or shaking his hand as your other hand grabs his forearm in a gesture of friendship (and control)....

Very interesting stuff....

jb:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KENPO_CORY

21 feet? Really? Is that taking into consideration throwing distance as well or something? Seems pretty far away. Just wondering.

My LEO Friends here in Michigan have quoted the
same number of 21 feet.

I also have been able to demonstrate how easy
it is to cover distance.

Put A training knife in your hand, and have a
target about 20 feet away. Step, Dive and roll
and come up ready to fight. You will be surprised
at how close to the 20 feet you have covered.
This is not a trick, just something I noticed
when ever I would roll, they always seemed
surprised by how far one can cover.

Now I am not saying you will get 20 feet, just
the remaining distance will be easy to cover
with the forward momentum.

Best Regards

Rich

DOH! I did not get to Micheal's post, sorry to duplicate. repjr

OP
B

brianhunter

I dont know if any of youguys have heard of this either....We call it "The tactical L" picture a L with you standing at the top, the aggressor at the apex and your "buddy" at the other end.

Instead of standing side by side to both get attacked at once...he can only go after one at a time....this works really well when your partner moves with you and you guys shift as the bad guy does.......you would be amazed at how fast just maintaining this position will calm someone down...they dont see the oportunity to act because they are tactically beaten already

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good post Brian. Not sure whether it applies to most Martial Artist as they typically don't work in pairs or with a partner. But it translates well into any type of restraint or physical violence setting.

I consult on Management of Aggressive Behavior with psychiatric hospitals, residential treatment centers, and schools. This "L" splits the attention, but also allows them to save face as they are not only outnumbered, but also tactically outmaneauvered. Obviously it allows the partner to assist without getting in each other's way in an unarmed restraint, regardless of who makes the first move.

Fighting any battle on more than one front is costly and difficult. This strategy is etched in antiquity ... guess it works, huh?

Thanks,
-Michael

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, so now I thought of a way it helps us. Primarily in our multiple attackers scenarios we try not to get caught between two opponents. Law Enforcement officers also use the "L" because you keep your partner out of the line of fire also. In our case, we may prefer an "L" because we can keep both opponents in sight in a wedge in front of us. This allows us time, not a lot, to analyse the strengths/weaknesses and decide which opponent to engage first, or try to get by. Interesting ....

-Michael
UKS-Texas

OP
B

brianhunter

OUCH!! Never thought of training against it!! ;) It does make sense though as in an outnumbering situation your position is something you can control and you want absolute control of whatever elements you can! Stay away from corners and circle movement....If me and my partner got the L on ya though you might not have too many options.

OP
T

tonbo

One thing that we train with at our school is staying out of the "L" type situations. We occasionally do two- or three- on one sparring, to reinforce the idea that the middle is NOT the place to be.

When confronted with this situation, I generally take a quick moment or two to make a decision as to who to engage first, then I circle around to that person and try to "stack" the opponents. This way, at least for a few moments, I only have to worry about one guy, and the second has to get through that guy to get to me. Works pretty well, if you can keep them "lined up" like that......

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
something my instructor does...not very often, but often enough to make an impression...

put a blindfold on someone and stand him in the center of a circle of five or six people holding kick bags. give each person with a bag a number, secretly, so the guy in the middle doesn't hear. the instructor then calls out a number, and that person rushes the guy in the middle with the bag. the guy in the middle tries to land a punch or kick on the bag before the bag hits their body. pretty much everyone gets hit with the bag at first, but after a while, you get to the point where you can tell where they're coming from.

it teaches you to use your ears as well as your eyes...too many people rely only on one sense, forgetting they have four more... you can hear an attacker often before you can see him, depending on his personal hygiene, you can sometimes smell him. you can tell how he's grabbing you by feeling the location of his hand, and you can predict where the rest of his body is by that one grip...think about obscure wing vs. obscure sword...the second you reach back and grab his wrist, you can tell if he's close in to you or far away, depending on whether his wrist is up or down, and you know where he is before you even look.

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

I've done this also. I very good exersize. By the way... The glass windows are both a hinderence as well as a potential aid, they also are useful in observing your surroundings.

Originally posted by tonbo

I used to run a Saturday afternoon sparring class at our school, where I would introduce environmental awareness.

We would do various drills, especially sparring, in differing situations, using furniture, blockers, other students, etc. What I would do would be to set up a "room" with chairs, walls defined by blockers, kick pads to represent various other pieces of furniture, etc. I would then place other students within the "room", who were non-combatants (to start). Two people would begin sparring in the "room", with the understanding that they had to try and avoid all the furniture and other people. If they by mistake tagged a non-combatant, then the person tagged could, if they desired, get involved in the fight and change the dynamics.

We did situations where we set up a street (with plate-glass shop windows--defined by blockers, of course), a library, a living room, etc. It was great fun, and put a lot more perspective on sparring for most people involved. Showed a lot about how situation can dictate the techniques people may use for protection.

Peace--

Latest Discussions