Enduring Martial Arts

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Thread on KMA/CMA connections with its discussion of masters and founders got me wondering. Do those who found arts and styles give any thought to how it might evolve? We all know that the arts we practice today are not the same as when they were created, but do you think the founders gave any thought to the future of their creations? Or do you think that they thought they had put together a perfect collection of techniques?

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Thread on KMA/CMA connections with its discussion of masters and founders got me wondering. Do those who found arts and styles give any thought to how it might evolve? We all know that the arts we practice today are not the same as when they were created, but do you think the founders gave any thought to the future of their creations? Or do you think that they thought they had put together a perfect collection of techniques?

I'd like to think they took into consideration the development and addition of new techniques and different patterns and combinations in which to use these techniques.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There being over 30 different hand strikes (and variations), 20 or more kicks (with several ways to do each kick), elbow strikes, knee strikes, blocks both soft and hard, joint locks (say how many joints are there in the human body that can be manipulated???), and then there are ways to feint, fake, trick, baffle, attack, retreat, sidestep, whatever... Then combinations of any and all of those methods.

The human body has two arms and legs, and I'd say thousands of ways to use them and millions of situations one has to adapt the techiques to...

So well, finding the perfect set is gonna take a while. Like forever.

Arts will evolve. Kicking techniques are already kind of standardized in many arts. Ways to use hands are more numerious so it will be a time before they get closer to all being sort of the same.

But, there will be no perfect set of techniques. Humans are not perfect and neither is the world.

But that won't keep us from billing our styles as 'ultimate', will it?

Deaf

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion.....

For those arts that have long histories - i would like to think that the masters had only 1 thing in mind, survival on the battlefield. Battlefields change with technology and tactics - so i would think that these men would have been forced to constantly adapt their approach.

For those more modern styles - if the founders do not have flexibility and evolution in mind then their style will not last long. Society is changing at a huge rate these days - we must adapt to the new threats and challenges else we will become lost.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if your style or art is founded on good basics and philosophy, it will endure for a long time regardless of whether or not you plan it like that. My Instructor used to say if you teach good basics, your class will last 100 years.

Latest Discussions