Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looking for an EDC blade.

My current carry is a (borrowed) Spyderco Delica

SpydercoDelica.jpeg

What I'm looking for is a good quality folder...big enough to have some heft to it, but still small enough where I can carry it comfortably in my jeans pocket without it poking me hard in the hips or thigh.

The blade must have a name that won't draw the ire of my local constabulary.

I'm considering another Delica, or an Endura --

Knife_Spyderco_Endura_Lightweight_C10SBK.jpg

Or perhaps a Persian --

spyc105bmp.jpg

But I'm open to suggestions. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Carol,

All of the above are good to start with. Since I use my EDC everyday to open objects and during the course of work, etc. My suggestion would be to go to a local dealer and find one that fits your hand nicely and that the opening and closing mechanism works well for you. Make sure that the blade is quality and do not skimp on the price. I have and I am guessing here probably around thirty or forty folders. My favorite one is a little no name brand model I picked up overseas that fits in my hand and is comfortable. The steel is quality and the cost was how shall we say, reasonable!
icon10.gif

Do you like the Delicia? If so that is a pretty good one to continue on with.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd go with the Delica or Endura (depending on what size you want), only I'd go with a waved version. Here are the links to a waved Delica and Endura so you can see what I'm talking about.

This is a video I shot that shows the "wave" in action.

the audio and video aren't quite in sync with one another but you'll get the idea. The first opening is a draw to forward grip using the thumbhole (the way you'd do it without the wave); then I have a draw to forward grip using the wave; then I do two draws to reverse grip, edge-in using the wave. Then I do two draws to reverse grip, edge-out with my "left-hand" knife to show how it works from a different postion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6lOTz1Ebs

If you decide to go with something other than a Spyderco there are plenty of other good knives out there. As Brian said, CRKT makes some good knives. Also check Cold Steel, Benchmade, and SOG. I would personally advise you to stay away from models with a liner-lock. Others like them but I've had nothing but bad luck with liner locks.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a knife dealer, his website is EDCknives.com, you might find something useful there. He tends to deal in higher-end stuff, but sometimes he has some stuff that is lower priced.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All those are great knives.

The CRKT ones are really good prices, take a lot of abuse, and are made with pretty good steel.

Matt, I understand what you mean about liner locks. I've had a few bad ones myself. Maybe try the Cold steel Recons. Very similar to the "axis" lock of benchmade. Also that LAWKS thingy on a lot of the CRKT ones are pretty secure.

Jeff

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot to mention Kershaw.

Jeff

Shovel Hook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have nothing but good to say about the Kershaw Leek. Fast as an auto, thin and light and a narrow profile, models available with better than the usual 440c. It's the best I've found for EDC for myself. Got it for my wife (a rainbow finished one, to match a zippo gave her previously) but eventually started carrying it myself.
Had an Endura, the size was great for actual use, but took up a lot of pocket space. I try to stay at 3" or under just to be sure (for legal reasons) and the Leek is the most size efficient knife I've found(I was considering getting a Delica also for public use just to be even more careful, even though the assisted opener is perfectly legal). And the assisted opening is really amazing on it (has a safety lock for keeping it closed, if that tells ya anything). You can get it started with the studs, or a protrusion of the back of the blade that forms a trigger of sorts. Have had an Italian auto for years and is inferior in every way to to this and the Leek is legal on top of it. Be sure to try it out in your search. I don't think you will be disappointed. Very reasonably priced as well. It is perfect for carrying but useful in size. The clip is super strong, I've wore it in dress pants and it still held. You know how when you get a new folder it takes a while to get used to the feel of opening it? On the Leek the first time felt like I had done it 1000 times.

Also had a BM Mini PIKA that I got for under $30 and it was a very good knife, it or the fullsize is like a budget Spyderco. Had a Camillus CUDA EDC that I carried for a while, grip was well shaped but too small and I have tiny hands. Used to get bit by it all the time while opening, I mean like after a year of use. It was a frame liner lock (similar to CRKT K.I.S.S.), didn't look like it would hold up under extreme conditions.
I really hope you handle a Kershaw Leek, I think it might be just what you are looking for. You could also go smaller and get the Scallion, and add the Chive to your keychain. But the thickness and width on the Leek are extremely low profile, yet you still get a satisfying grip. It is light, but has more heft than a knife with synthetic grip. Fit and finish are far beyond what you'd expect on a knife of this price. And come in a wide variety of colors/finishes, plain or partially serrated, even steels (440c is good enough for me), even handle material.
It's my favorite folding knife ever.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to stay at 3" or under just to be sure (for legal reasons)...

...(I was considering getting a Delica also for public use just to be even more careful, even though the assisted opener is perfectly legal).
I you actually find out what's legal where you live (from the state statutes, not from word-of-mouth), you can stay within that envelope without having to play the "just to be safe" game.

The Kershaw Leek is nice, but for me, the handle is not big enough for it to function comfortably in "social" situations.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
whooops - duplicate post

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I you actually find out what's legal where you live (from the state statutes, not from word-of-mouth), you can stay within that envelope without having to play the "just to be safe" game.

The Kershaw Leek is nice, but for me, the handle is not big enough for it to function comfortably in "social" situations.

Depends on how the local statutes are written. Massachusetts is clear as mud. There is a statutory length for the city of Boston, but it is very difficult to determine the way the text of the Mass. General Laws are written.

If the law is foggy, it may be best to write an e-mail to an attorney in one's state that (professionally) is a firearms advocate.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Carol,

All of the above are good to start with. Since I use my EDC everyday to open objects and during the course of work, etc. My suggestion would be to go to a local dealer and find one that fits your hand nicely and that the opening and closing mechanism works well for you. Make sure that the blade is quality and do not skimp on the price. I have and I am guessing here probably around thirty or forty folders. My favorite one is a little no name brand model I picked up overseas that fits in my hand and is comfortable. The steel is quality and the cost was how shall we say, reasonable!
icon10.gif

Do you like the Delicia? If so that is a pretty good one to continue on with.

I really like the Delica a lot. It's blade length is legal in neighboring states (the states are really small up here so that is a concern :) ) I like the mechanism, the sturdiness, and I've been able to open the blade while wearing winter gloves...which is big plus for this climate. :)

The quality is acceptable. I think it's a decent knife, and sufficient for me, although I definitely do not want to go with anything *lower*.

Oh my...I'm becoming a knife geek :eek: :D

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am also a fan of the CRKT models! They are pretty good and last awhile to the abuse I do to my folding knives.

I'm going to have to check those out. I have heard good things about them, but never held them. It seems that Massachusetts is not particularly fond of knife stores (hmm...wonder why) so I may have to go "over the border" (to NH or Maine) to take a closer look at some of these beauties. :)

Road Trip!!! :)

whitedragon_48

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to what, I hope, is a life of knife geekyness! The only thing I can add is to go to your local knife store and "play" with a few models. See what works for you, what feels comfortable. Like I said in other forums, choosing a knife is as personal as choosing underwear. Take your time. Also, be ready to spend some good $ for a good knife, but in the end its worth it.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd go with the Delica or Endura (depending on what size you want), only I'd go with a waved version. Here are the links to a waved Delica and Endura so you can see what I'm talking about.

This is a video I shot that shows the "wave" in action.

the audio and video aren't quite in sync with one another but you'll get the idea. The first opening is a draw to forward grip using the thumbhole (the way you'd do it without the wave); then I have a draw to forward grip using the wave; then I do two draws to reverse grip, edge-in using the wave. Then I do two draws to reverse grip, edge-out with my "left-hand" knife to show how it works from a different postion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6lOTz1Ebs

If you decide to go with something other than a Spyderco there are plenty of other good knives out there. As Brian said, CRKT makes some good knives. Also check Cold Steel, Benchmade, and SOG. I would personally advise you to stay away from models with a liner-lock. Others like them but I've had nothing but bad luck with liner locks.

Excellent Video, Matt!

That's an excellent point that you bring up about the liner locks. My training partner Andy has a small one. I wasn't that comfortable with the action on it. Not sure if what I didn't like was a characteristic of that particular knife or liner locks in general. But...after hearing that a couple of you good folks have had some trouble with it, I think I'm going to stay away for now.

I do have a question though...why would you personallly prefer a Delica or Endura over the Persian? I look at the guard of the Persian and my perception is that I could get in a better stab.

Or...is such a design too limiting to the types of grips?

I'm still very much a noob so any input helps. Thanks so much. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to what, I hope, is a life of knife geekyness! The only thing I can add is to go to your local knife store and "play" with a few models. See what works for you, what feels comfortable. Like I said in other forums, choosing a knife is as personal as choosing underwear. Take your time. Also, be ready to spend some good $ for a good knife, but in the end its worth it.

Thank you soooo much Professor Roman! :asian: I really appreciate your feedback as well as that of everyone else. I appreciate the point about the cost of a good knife, which has been brought up by you and Brian. Personally I have no qualms with paying decent money for a decent knife, I just want to make sure the value is there for what I'm buying. And....after buying an EDC my next purchase may be a 2.5" blade that I can legally carry in the city of Boston...ahh, the addiction is starting. :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions