Ed Parker performing short form 3

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I saw this for the first time and it's really interesting to see him actually doing form as there's not much actual footage of him doing that online. Most are just his lessons.

One thing I find interesting that maybe some more senior kenpo practitioners can tell me is on wings of silk why does he jump in the air on the spin. Was he just exaggerating it there to show it as it looks it was at a competition or was there a time when that the techique was actually done like that. Personally I can't see it ever being like as since that's a close range techique you wouldn't want to go off your feet.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So I saw this for the first time and it's really interesting to see him actually doing form as there's not much actual footage of him doing that online. Most are just his lessons.

One thing I find interesting that maybe some more senior kenpo practitioners can tell me is on wings of silk why does he jump in the air on the spin. Was he just exaggerating it there to show it as it looks it was at a competition or was there a time when that the techique was actually done like that. Personally I can't see it ever being like as since that's a close range techique you wouldn't want to go off your feet.

Forms for competition, or, in this case, a demonstration, are all about showmanship. He is trying to leap into the stands! It is OK. :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going with what T.O.D. said. Showmanship. You'd probably get more informed commentary in the Kenpo forums.

Personally, I was never a huge fan of Ed Parker. A great promoter, I'll grant you, but not a great inspiration for me anyway. Yeah, I know many great martial artists from diverse systems like Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto respected him. Whatever.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going with what T.O.D. said. Showmanship. You'd probably get more informed commentary in the Kenpo forums.

Personally, I was never a huge fan of Ed Parker. A great promoter, I'll grant you, but not a great inspiration for me anyway. Yeah, I know many great martial artists from diverse systems like Bruce Lee and Dan Inosanto respected him. Whatever.
The respect was obviously there, but Dan, like other Parker students left to study with Bruce Lee.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

GM ED Parker is Awesome thanks God for Ed Parker for founding American Kenpo Karate and I'm Studying American Kenpo Karate Through my Sifu GM Jesus Flores. My Sifu Jesus Flores is the student of ED Parker

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
The respect was obviously there, but Dan, like other Parker students left to study with Bruce Lee.

Yes but look at where Guro Inosanto was at the time. He was already quite well versed at that time. He not only studied with Lee but taught Lee as well, introducing him to FMA and the nunchuku. He also studied with Sirisute, Lacoste, Silat masters etc. Lee's students were the kinda people who were almost always going somewhere else to learn, not because one was necessarily "better" than another but because they just had a passion for learning martial arts.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes but look at where Guro Inosanto was at the time. He was already quite well versed at that time. He not only studied with Lee but taught Lee as well, introducing him to FMA and the nunchuku. He also studied with Sirisute, Lacoste, Silat masters etc. Lee's students were the kinda people who were almost always going somewhere else to learn, not because one was necessarily "better" than another but because they just had a passion for learning martial arts.
I'm in total agreement. Good post.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
GM ED Parker is Awesome thanks God for Ed Parker for founding American Kenpo Karate and I'm Studying American Kenpo Karate Through my Sifu GM Jesus Flores. My Sifu Jesus Flores is the student of ED Parker

Checked out your sifu on Youtube. I liked these videos. I spotted some applications that cross-over into my style, and also found I could select the Spanish language version and brush up on my language skills at the same time. Had to avoid the closed captioning though. Must be done by a program because its full of crazy errors!

Jesus Flores: Snapping Twig (en Espanol)

Jesus Flores: Attacking Mace ESP

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You seem to have fan worship quite badly! :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know a lot of people admired Ed Parker but I have yet to see anything besides compliant demos from him. Is their any other video of him out there? I just can never be impressed by an uke who throws a crappy strike and pauses it mid air while the other guy does a sequence of strikes.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know a lot of people admired Ed Parker but I have yet to see anything besides compliant demos from him. Is their any other video of him out there? I just can never be impressed by an uke who throws a crappy strike and pauses it mid air while the other guy does a sequence of strikes.

That was pretty much how most of the popular martial arts marketed themselves when I was a teen in the late 60s and early seventies. Sure there was some full contact stuff around, kickboxing and such, but before video, cable, the internet, etc. most kids got their ideas about martial arts from karate and kung fu on TV and in the movies. That choreographed demo stuff really wowed people back then. As did exotic, kung foo-ey poses and gesticulations. Ed Parker and a lot of others really new how to work that stuff! Not judging, mind you. After all it what the market demanded.

BTW, check this out:

Sure, it's a comedy scene, but I can't say Mr. Parker moved with the grace and screen presence of some other martial artists turned actors of the period. Maybe it was the fault of the fight choreographer?

Last edited:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure, it's a comedy scene, but I can't say Mr. Parker moved with the grace and screen presence of some other martial artists turned actors of the period. Maybe it was the fault of the fight choreographer?
I would bet that Parker was the fight choreographer :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I liked Ed, he was a nice man. Worked out with him a couple times. He had really fast hands, (which reminded me of a couple of small canned hams), especially in close. He could trap an arm and hit, then elbow as he collapsed distance into you, kicking your feet out. Really fast.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked Ed, he was a nice man. Worked out with him a couple times. He had really fast hands, (which reminded me of a couple of small canned hams), especially in close. He could trap an arm and hit, then elbow as he collapsed distance into you, kicking your feet out. Really fast.
Exactly, and for that to look good on screen, you would need a whole series of stuntmen willing to die for the cause. If you cut out the flamboyance, all you have is pin action :)

Latest Discussions