Reaction score
This just in ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8470845/

excerpt said:
Doctors denounce abstinence-only education

Teens need access to birth control, pediatrician group says

sourceAP.gif

Updated: 11:53 a.m. ET July 5, 2005

CHICAGO - A leading group of pediatricians says teenagers need access to birth control and emergency contraception, not the abstinence-only approach to sex education favored by religious groups and President Bush.

The recommendations are part of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ updated teen pregnancy policy.

“Even though there is great enthusiasm in some circles for abstinence-only interventions, the evidence does not support abstinence-only interventions as the best way to keep young people from unintended pregnancy,” said Dr. Jonathan Klein, chairman of the academy committee that wrote the new recommendations.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
It's a catch-22. If you teach "safe-sex", you increase the likelyhood that teens will become sexually active, but larger numbers of them will engage in "safe-sex". If you teach abstinence only, smaller numbers will likely become sexually active early, but those that do run higher risks of STD's. decisions, decisions. No easy answers from me.

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
It's a catch-22. If you teach "safe-sex", you increase the likelyhood that teens will become sexually active, but larger numbers of them will engage in "safe-sex". If you teach abstinence only, smaller numbers will likely become sexually active early, but those that do run higher risks of STD's. decisions, decisions. No easy answers from me.

Unfortunately, you're basing your decisions on two completely unsupported assumptions. It has not been shown that teach safe-sex increases teen sexual activity, and it has not been shown that abstinence instruction decreases teen sexual activity. Support your premises first, then make your decisions.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
qizmoduis said:
Unfortunately, you're basing your decisions on two completely unsupported assumptions. It has not been shown that teach safe-sex increases teen sexual activity, and it has not been shown that abstinence instruction decreases teen sexual activity. Support your premises first, then make your decisions.
Of course not, teaching children that sexual activity is perfectly acceptable in no way would increase sexual activity. It's also not been proven that supplying intoxicants to minors increases underage drinking, but it seems clear none-the-less.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Of course not, teaching children that sexual activity is perfectly acceptable in no way would increase sexual activity. It's also not been proven that supplying intoxicants to minors increases underage drinking, but it seems clear none-the-less.
It seems to me that a more reasonable approach would be to integrate abstinence teaching with safe sex education. The truth is, youngsters will continue having sex irrespective of what you teach them; as it they who choose whether or not to have sex in the first place. Is it not preferable that they possess an adequate base of knowledge prior to doing so?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
It seems to me that a more reasonable approach would be to integrate abstinence teaching with safe sex education. The truth is, youngsters will continue having sex irrespective of what you teach them; as it they who choose whether or not to have sex in the first place. Is it not preferable that they possess an adequate base of knowledge prior to doing so?
We have discovered, when dealing with another teenage issue, underage drinking, that the mindset taken by parents in the later 1980's and early 1990's, i.e. "responsible" underage drinking (you remember, call your parents if you need a ride, or better yet, party at your parents house and they'll take the keys), the idea being that "teenagers are going to drink anyway (sound familiar). The belief was that, by teaching kids to "drink responsibly" that they would do so.

The effect was far different. What actually occurred was an INCREASE of not only dangerous binge drinking, but also an INCREASE in DWI related fatalities by youth. The lesson learned was that telling teenagers to "drink responsibly" really just encouraged them to drink more, and more often.

The message was clear that drinking underage was ok, as long as you "drank responsibly". The problem became, however, that teenagers, by and large, aren't capable of "responsible drinking". The message that teenagers were receiving was that it's ok to drink. They didn't get the responsible part. Moderation and responsible behavior are not traits that often translated well to teenagers.

A model that has been currently put in place that has reduced underage drinking, and the associated injuries and deaths caused by underaged drinking, has been the opposite of "drink responsibly", which is zero-tolerance.

Many states have instituted laws making operating vehicles with even small quantities of alcohol by minors an administrative offense resulting in the loss of licenses. Further, schools have taught a policy whereby any underaged drinking is discouraged, and that NO alcohol use is the only acceptable "responsible" decision.

This has resulted in a drastic reduction in deaths and injuries from DWI's and alcohol related incidents.

Now, some wit is going to say that drinking and sexuality are not the same thing (despite the fact that one has a lot to do with the other oftentimes), but the reality is that both are high-risk behavior engaged in by teenagers. Telling a teenager it's ok to engage in high-risk behavior, as long as they do so "responsibly" has been found to often times lead to MORE high-risk behavior, not responsible behavior.

So, again, the answer is not as clear cut as it would at first appear.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a very clear difference between educating youth regarding the risks, and ways to mitigate the risks involved in sexual relations, and endorsing "responsible" sex. Any argument that suggests witholding education from anyone for any reason holds no credibility with me.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
There is a very clear difference between educating youth regarding the risks, and ways to mitigate the risks involved in sexual relations, and endorsing "responsible" sex. Any argument that suggests witholding education from anyone for any reason holds no credibility with me.
Which of the above includes handing out condoms? Furthermore, there is often a big difference between the message sent and the message received. Parents that were endorsing designated driver's and save drinking thought they were simply helping to mitigate risks involved in underaged drinking. That backfired. I'm merely pointing out that the issue is far more complicated than simply "Lets teach them, and they'll make the right decisions".

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sex is a fundamental human drive, trying to supress it and pretend it doesn't exist is not going to work. Without a strong sex drive humans wouldn't exist.

And right from that it is very different then drinking, which is not something biology dictates we have a strong desire to do in order to survive as a species.

Now from my own annecdotal experience from when I was underage, it was always the people who's parents said "No drinking ever, no questions about it" that got too drunk, too often and had the problems. Perhaps it was just the way it got handled?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Which of the above includes handing out condoms? Furthermore, there is often a big difference between the message sent and the message received. Parents that were endorsing designated driver's and save drinking thought they were simply helping to mitigate risks involved in underaged drinking. That backfired. I'm merely pointing out that the issue is far more complicated than simply "Lets teach them, and they'll make the right decisions".
You're correct in that "Let's teach them, and they'll make the right decisions" is a non-sequitur. Regarding condom distribution, it's quite clear that a teenager will not usually go out of their way to protect themselves from anything, as teens are, by nature, risk takers. By increasing the accessibility of condoms, the likelihood that they will be used increases.

I think that on this issue, we as adults need to follow the path of the lesser evil. There is just no way to prevent young people from having sex. Misinformation or promotion of "ethical values" will not fix the situation. Its best to provide them with all the tools available in order to facilitate reasonable decision making, and have faith that they won't make too many mistakes.

Latest Discussions