Should both drugs and guns be legal?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
I personally think that the biggest thing we (the country) could do to reduce crime would be to implement reforms in the correctional system. What I mean by this is not allowing rapists, murderers, and other violent criminals to walk free after serving only a few years of their sentances (in other words, we need harsher penalties and we need to use them!). Since most violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders, not letting them back out to repeat their crimes sounds like a good start. I don't believe in rehabilitation for these types of criminals because it doesn't work. If we're going to spend time rehabilitating anyone it needs to be done the first time some juvenile delinquent gets busted for shoplifting, not 5 years later when he has progressed to armed robbery and/or murder.
Hear hear!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
The ban outlawed cosmetic appearances...things like bayonet lugs (to stop those mass bayonettings on school grounds) and did't really accomplish its intent.

Steve

I found this interesting as well... that the ban did not address the capabilities of the firearms in question, but rather how "spooky" the firearm appeared. Cuz you know... more people are killed by the spooky look than the bullets coming out of the end.

H

hkg

Well i strongly disagree with makin guns legal as i dont know if its because i live in Scotland but gun crime is on the increase over here as they r becomin easier to aquire so a ban for the u.s.a may seem harsh for u to understand but believe me i think it would do america a whole lot o good!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hkg said:
Well i strongly disagree with makin guns legal as i dont know if its because i live in Scotland but gun crime is on the increase over here as they r becomin easier to aquire so a ban for the u.s.a may seem harsh for u to understand but believe me i think it would do america a whole lot o good!

But you illustrate our argument directly, by saying that despite the guns being outlawed over there, the gun crime is still on the rise. Mabey gun crime is on the rise because your guns are outlawed.

The classic stance of the pro-gun American is that, if I'm a criminal, I'm already dedicated to breaking the law by commiting a crime. If I know that my having a gun will make said crime easier, why would I hesitate to break another law to obtain a gun. Even more so, if I know that it is illegal for you to have a gun, that means you are probably not going to have one, and I have an even better chance to commit a crime against you if I have one.

By the way, welcome to MartialTalk.com.

H

hkg

OULobo said:
But you illustrate our argument directly, by saying that despite the guns being outlawed over there, the gun crime is still on the rise. Mabey gun crime is on the rise because your guns are outlawed.

The classic stance of the pro-gun American is that, if I'm a criminal, I'm already dedicated to breaking the law by commiting a crime. If I know that my having a gun will make said crime easier, why would I hesitate to break another law to obtain a gun. Even more so, if I know that it is illegal for you to have a gun, that means you are probably not going to have one, and I have an even better chance to commit a crime against you if I have one.

By the way, welcome to MartialTalk.com.

Thanks for the welcome it is a very good site! Its jst i feel that if a crimanal is commited to the crime surely it makes it easier for him to commit if he/she can obtain a gun easily. Well over here guns hav always been outlawed its the punishment that has gone up due to the increase in gun crime, now dnt get me wrong here im nt blamin america direct for this but i feel alot of the gangs in britain feel they want to be like the american gangs lke they c in films etc as it looks so glamorous and they feel cool wanderin the streets bullying people and if the gun was outlawed in america then wouldnt it be better if they jst wernt around. I guess what im trying to say is what are the benefits of havin them legal?!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hkg said:
I guess what im trying to say is what are the benefits of havin them legal?!

For one thing, it evens the playing field. While you can never trust statistics, there have been studies here that find that in the states that allowed citizens in good standing to carry concealed weapons the violent crime rate dropped. The speculative reason was that the criminals never knew who was an easy mark anymore. Secondly, but related, it adds security. People here know that they can have a gun in the house in case someone decides to invade our home with ill intent. Thirdly, it gives a rudimentary level of protection against an overpowering government, and this is exactly what the amendment in the Constitution was designed for. Finally, it allows for enjoyment of hobbies, like competition shooting, hunting and historical collecting. Why sacrifice these things so that a soccer mom in a suburb feels a warm feeling inside, because the criminal could care less if he gets the gun from an expensive retail dealer or a street blackmarket dealer for half the cost.

P

PeachMonkey

I might be more in support of gun control legislation if it did one ounce of good to get weapons out of criminals' hands; in the end, though, the movement is a visceral reaction to gun violence that accomplishes nothing but keeping guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
I might be more in support of gun control legislation if it did one ounce of good to get weapons out of criminals' hands; in the end, though, the movement is a visceral reaction to gun violence that accomplishes nothing but keeping guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens.
Exactly! :)