Dragon Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi, I thought this beginner's forum would be a good place to say hello. Hello.
Actually I am pretty much a beginner in wing chun, but I have some close relationships to it.

I lived in Seattle for most of my adult life, before moving to Ecuador, and I was lucky to have been accepted into a semi secret little family that was centered around my main teacher, named Fook Yueng. I don't know if any of you have heard of him.

Most martial artists have not heard of him because he wished to remain hidden from the public eye, but he is famous in a way, or famous and much loved by the small community that knows about him. He was Bruce Lee's uncle and main kung fu teacher. Bruce came to live with him in Seattle so that he could go to the University of Washington. Bruce lived with him for three years and was his student for a total of eight years.

Mr. Yueng was in the Red Boat Opera. I think some of you will have heard of Red Boat Wing Chun, well, Mr. Yueng was the Monkey King, the star of the opera, and so was Bruce's father, so they were the closest of kung fu brothers. The reason that Bruce said that he made it up is because Mr. Yueng did not want him to tell people who he learned his stuff from, because he didn't want people bothering him for lessons or challenging him to fights; he only taught Bruce as a relative, in private.

I was also Mr. Yueng's student for eight years, but he taught me chi kung, not kung fu. However, I got to learn some of the kung fu methods from some of his other student's, one who was probably more advanced than Bruce. I never was interested in martial arts or fighting, but I got to see what they were doing, and it was so amazing that I became interested purely from a scientific standpoint - or so I thought. It turns out I've been in this system from past lives.

Anyway, my primary interest is in real nei kung (as opposed to fake nei kung, which is what the public has been led to believe) and I like to share methods of chi power cultivation.

Mr. Yueng knew over a hundred martial arts, but his main ones, or favorite ones, were tai chi, wing chun, bagua, and praying mantis; and they all blended together in his mind, which is something that happens when you "arrive at the formless". So perhaps I can comment on some of the combat methods discussed here on the forum.

Steve
Uhhh. If you say so.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm not really familiar with this form of opera or performers. Also wow. 100 styles. I know a lot of people have already commented on this but first of all. I'm pretty sure I haven't even heard of 100 different style names before and I've heard of a lot. I find it relatively hard to believe he met 100 styles in China? Did he specify China alone? Maybe he went outside china and did some training? Yet still. How does he even remember all the names to over 100 styles? This guy has either experienced a lot of made up a lot. Possibly both?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm not really familiar with this form of opera or performers. Also wow. 100 styles. I know a lot of people have already commented on this but first of all. I'm pretty sure I haven't even heard of 100 different style names before and I've heard of a lot. I find it relatively hard to believe he met 100 styles in China? Did he specify China alone? Maybe he went outside china and did some training? Yet still. How does he even remember all the names to over 100 styles? This guy has either experienced a lot of made up a lot. Possibly both?

Here is a partial list of what you can find in China

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did that quick count thing like Tony did. Arts with a few hours and arts of 100 hours were the same for me, ten of them.

Arts I understand well enough to teach someone else reliable functional skills - 3.

If you limit it to arts I'm actually kind of good at - 1.

Arts I've had my ashe kicked by.....I don't know, how much time you got?

The notion of knowing one hundred Arts is in a wheelhouse I have no knowledge of at all.

OP
S

Starjumper7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

Hi Donald, I'm sure there are way more than 100 types of kung fu in China. Mr. Yueng did all his learning while he was in China. Something very rare these days is very important in Taoist spiritual cultivation, and that is ethical conduct and honesty. These days it is difficult to convey what this is or the importance given to it by practitioners. Ethical, honorable conduct is called 'Te' in Chinese, and it is the most important and final piece of the Taoist spiritual path. ... and yes, he was very experienced.

Concerning remembering the names, he did not try to keep his learnings separate but put them all together into his own art. He said: "Take the best from each system, and leave the rest". I think Bruce said something similar, plus he followed that rule as well.

When the Red Boat Opera went to a new city they were required to have a match between the champion of the city and the champion of the boat, and sometimes Mr. Yueng was the champion. These were serious fights and sometimes people were maimed or killed. Mr. Yueng told me that no one was ever able to hit him, which is a foundational principle of his kung fu. If no one was able to hit him that implies that he didn't lose one of those matches. If you do a search for Fook Yueng on the internet I think you will find nothing but the highest admiration of the highest skills.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did that quick count thing like Tony did. Arts with a few hours and arts of 100 hours were the same for me, ten of them.

Arts I understand well enough to teach someone else reliable functional skills - 3.

If you limit it to arts I'm actually kind of good at - 1.

Arts I've had my ashe kicked by.....I don't know, how much time you got?

The notion of knowing one hundred Arts is in a wheelhouse I have no knowledge of at all.
How do you get able to teach someone an art before you get kind of good at it?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you get able to teach someone an art before you get kind of good at it?

It’s a matter of perception I guess. I can teach basic beginning BJJ to a non grappler even though I’m a white belt in BJJ. Because I’ve been a white belt in BJJ for 27 years, rolled a lot and have competed in it.

I can teach you how to Box because I’ve trained boxing since the early seventies and had some competitions in that as well.

But by my standards I suck in both compared to what I’m good at.

P.S..... I’ve also had some really good instructors in both. Without them I’d be nothing.

Last edited:

snake_monkey

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome. Thank you for sharing.
I am very interested in your story. I am a Wing Chun practitioner and have self-taught Monkey King. I performed my debut in Chinatown on stage on this recent Moon Fest.

Any information you have on this topic would be appreciated - referring to Mr. Yeung’s Life and time on the Opera Boats, training Monkey King, and perhaps touching hands with a student of Mr. Yeung’s sometime. I can also provide an example of my work if you would like.

Last edited:
OP
S

Starjumper7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome. Thank you for sharing.
I am very interested in your story. I am a Wing Chun practitioner and have self-taught Monkey King. I performed my debut in Chinatown on stage on this recent Moon Fest.

Any information you have on this topic would be appreciated - referring to Mr. Yeung’s Life and time on the Opera Boats, training Monkey King, and perhaps touching hands with a student of Mr. Yeung’s sometime.

You are welcome to come down here to Ecuador to play around = )

Actually, you can read about my story in great detail because I wrote a book about Mr. Yueng and his teachings. It is titled "A Lineage of Dragons". Mr. Yueng asked me to not write about him till after he passed away, more or less for the same reason that he told Bruce to not tell people who his main teacher was.

The book is more about the chi kung I learned from Mr. Yueng for a period of eight years. He was had amazing chi power, and he was super psychic. The chi kung he taught me was the one he used for himself to become so advanced spiritually, which is actually a nei kung system. Keep in mind that the definition of nei kung has been completely bastardized by the money grubbers, so what the public thinks of as nei kung, or neigong is incorrect, and I don't blame you if you don't think much of it due to that.

Mr. Yuengs nei kung, named Tien Shan Chi Kung, is a true system of nei kung, one of the ones said to contain ten thousand techniques, and it is the Taoist spiritual path of the warrior, which at its highest level become the path of the wizard. Just like his kung fu, the real methods of nei kung are more or less secret.

The book does describe several of Mr. Yueng's students, kung fu brothers of mine, who were also my teachers, One of them was likely more advanced than Bruce. They taught me self defense, while Mr. Yueng taught me chi kung.

I can also provide an example of my work if you would like.

Yes, I would like that.

You can look up "A Lineage of Dragons" on Amazon booksellers, it is in paperback and kindle ebook.

Here's from the book cover:
A Lineage of Dragons

A story of a life journey from the mundane to the supra normal. A true story of Masters and Students of the Mystical Life Force Martial arts and beyond.

THE MAGUS OF SEATTLE - This book is about the mysterious chi kung master in Seattle who was Bruce Lee’s uncle and main kung fu teacher. It tells of the kind of qigong that this master used to become one of the most powerful, and of the amazing things experienced by the author, who was his long time apprentice. In China a powerful chi kung master is sometimes called a wizard. This book describes one of these systems, a most rare and most powerful kind of physical, emotional, and spiritual cultivation system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1096086778

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Actually, you can read about my story in great detail because I wrote a book about Mr. Yueng and his teachings. It is titled "A Lineage of Dragons". Mr. Yueng asked me to not write about him till after he passed away, more or less for the same reason that he told Bruce to not tell people who his main teacher was.

The book is more about the chi kung I learned from Mr. Yueng for a period of eight years. He was had amazing chi power, and he was super psychic. The chi kung he taught me was the one he used for himself to become so advanced spiritually, which is actually a nei kung system. Keep in mind that the definition of nei kung has been completely bastardized by the money grubbers, so what the public thinks of as nei kung, or neigong is incorrect, and I don't blame you if you don't think much of it due to that.

Mr. Yuengs nei kung, named Tien Shan Chi Kung, is a true system of nei kung, one of the ones said to contain ten thousand techniques, and it is the Taoist spiritual path of the warrior, which at its highest level become the path of the wizard. Just like his kung fu, the real methods of nei kung are more or less secret.

The book does describe several of Mr. Yueng's students, kung fu brothers of mine, who were also my teachers, One of them was likely more advanced than Bruce. They taught me self defense, while Mr. Yueng taught me chi kung.

Yes, I would like that.

You can look up "A Lineage of Dragons" on Amazon booksellers, it is in paperback and kindle ebook.

A Lineage of Dragons

A story of a life journey from the mundane to the supra normal. A true story of Masters and Students of the Mystical Life Force Martial arts and beyond.

THE MAGUS OF SEATTLE - This book is about the mysterious chi kung master in Seattle who was Bruce Lee’s uncle and main kung fu teacher. It tells of the kind of qigong that this master used to become one of the most powerful, and of the amazing things experienced by the author, who was his long time apprentice. In China a powerful chi kung master is sometimes called a wizard. This book describes one of these systems, a most rare and most powerful kind of physical, emotional, and spiritual cultivation system.

Why would Mr. Yeung ask Bruce Lee to not tell anyone who his instructor was?

OP
S

Starjumper7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why would Mr. Yeung ask Bruce Lee to not tell anyone who his instructor was?

The first reason is that Mr. Yueng did not want people bothering him for lessons or challenging him to fights, he was done with fighting. Then when Bruce became popular another reason arose. Ip Man was a close friend of Bruce's family in Hong Kong, therefore Mr. Yueng did not want Ip Man to lose face.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, I would like that.

A Lineage of Dragons

When you say wizard, what exactly do you mean? Is it an exaggeration of his fighting prowess, is it a reference to his state of mind, or can he shoot fireballs out of his hand?

OP
S

Starjumper7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you say wizard, what exactly do you mean? Is it an exaggeration of his fighting prowess, is it a reference to his state of mind, or can he shoot fireballs out of his hand?

A very powerful and psychic chi kung master in China can be termed a wizard, and Mr. Yueng was one of the more advanced ones.

By powerful I mean powerful with chi energy. His healing abilities were so fast and so advanced that they bordered on miraculous. Concerning his state of mind, he was super psychic, so psychic that he was functionally omniscient. He knew everything that I was thinking in class and at home, and he could also see what I was doing at home. It was excellent motivation for me to work on stopping thinking. He had a bright energy that sparkled, and his joy was contagious. He had unconditional love.

He and some of his students could do things that I call Jedi methods, like pushing people without touching, which were demonstrated more by some of his students.

Once he showed me how to take sick energy out of my liver, demonstrated on himself. He put his right hand near his liver in bird beak fashion and concentrated on that for a few seconds. Then he moved his hand abruptly one inch outward. I was standing about ten feet away, and I felt like I got hit by a pressure wave from an explosion. There was a Russian guy standing next to me and he said "Wow, did you feel that?"

As you may imagine, someone with those abilities had an 'unfair' advantage over any normal person in a fight, very unfair.

When he was 78 he went to anpen house at the University of Washington and had a free EEG (brainwave) test done. The doctors interpreting the readout said his EEG was like that of a teenagers.

Stuff like that, there's much more, of course.

OP
S

Starjumper7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It is rare, uncommon, but I've seen it mentioned in a couple of places. Maybe I should stop using that word. Magus is another word that is used as a label for people of similar abilites in other parts of the world. Very advanced yogis in India have similar abilities.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Know little about India and its Yogis

What places?
Because I have to tell you, never heard megus either, and to be totally honest I doubt that more than wizard. Talked with a TCM doc about "wizard" and the response was, never heard that, not in China.

But then "Grandmaster" is not used in China either, but it is used extensively in the west, even by some Chinese sifus

OP
S

Starjumper7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What places?

I saw it in a couple of places, the one I remember was in a newspaper report about some 'wizard' in China who was jailed for poisoning people. It was in English, from a non Chinese news source.

The term magus, a version of magician, is used. There is a really great book titled "The Magus of Strovolos" I think you will enjoy it.

There's another book, "The Magus of Java," which is about a guy called John Chang, who you may have heard of. I do not recommend that book.

That is why I decided to use the term Magus of Seattle in my back cover description.

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard the term "wizard" (wūshī 巫师) applied to anyone in China

Maybe people who live in wuxia 武俠, I guess if the person was a Daoist then maybe use 道士,
:D

OP
S

Starjumper7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The terms, wizard and magus, are English of course, and I have no idea what the translation is in Chinese. Magus is usually used for serious discussions because the term wizard has been overtaken by fairy tales, but I don't care, I use both. There is no doubt that the definitions do fit the person.

I am curious, what is the Chinese word for a chi kung master that is super psychic and has immense chi power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions