Dracula Guard

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Today I worked for the first time on the dracula guard.

I have been doing the long guard for a long time, but this is certainly a variation. I have been aware of it for a while but never taught how to do it until today.

There are subtitle aspects I learned like tightening your fist and keeping the elbow lower to protect for upper cuts until you need to elevate it for straight punches.

I think with the right arm already across my center line it will be easy to launch powerful knees and body kicks from this position.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you give your opponent a chance to guide your leading arm to jam your own back arm? If your opponent can control both of your arms with one of his arms, he will still have a free arm to punch you.

For example, when you have left arm forward, right arm cross to protect your face, your opponent's left hand can push your left arm to your right (and jam your own right arm). At the same time if his right hook punch toward your head, you won't have a free arm to deflect his right hook.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu Wang, I believe the idea is to let the right hook land on the top, hardest part of your head.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was actually taught to do the dracula guard with my right arm while throwing a lead left hook with my left hand.

Latest Discussions