Dojo and walk ins

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I had a 18 year old come into my dojo. He said he will be testing for his black belt in march. he worked out with my guys. after class he left with 1/2 the EGO he came in with. any others ever had this happen?

There is more to the events and how he became humbled...

Kosho

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kosho I had a thread I started just last week about a similar situation. I personally would love to learn of the events that led to the ego deflation!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've also seen the opposite, normally competitive trusting kids turned into arrogant hypercompetitive SOBs and style-crazed credulous True Believers.

Humility? It's great if egotism is a problem. If poor self-concept and a weak ego are the issues it's the wrong medicine.

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am leaving for home soon and will post it tommorrow when at work on break.

Kosho

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello,
I had a 18 year old come into my dojo. He said he will be testing for his black belt in march. he worked out with my guys. after class he left with 1/2 the EGO he came in with. any others ever had this happen?

There is more to the events and how he became humbled...

Kosho
All you really did was show him he wasn't good at what you guys are working on and that would be true for any walk in at any school. Go visit his school and they will all go home shaking there heads about how you don't get their material.
Sean

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This is a good story that shows NOT all black belts are equal.

Many schools the requirments are easier and years to earn is less than 3 years. Others the requirments are harder and time can be 5 years or more.

Joe Lewis got his black belt in less than 7 months in Okinawa. NO testing either. Joe would spar with all black belts and he kept beating them. The Sensi said....you are equal to my black belts...so he was award one.

Today earning a black belt does not require a person to be a good fighter...just needs to pass the schools testing.

At my son and daughter Judo school....you have to beat at least three or more Judo people of same rank (testing)to move up or win some many matches to prove for promotions. Promote thru fighting

Masahiko Kimura (The Judo God)...pre-world war 2....was 16 years old when he started Judo by the time he was 21 years old...he was a 5th degree Black belt in Judo....when he got older...he was UNBEATABLE...
His promotions were base on winning matches.

Black belts are no longer is base on fighting and winning..if a brown belts can't beat other brown belts in a full contact matches .....than he ain't ready to be a Black belt. Most testing is NOT base on this...just a small part of it.

Today testing is not base on winning...just meeting the physcial requirments and kata's many times.

Just an opinion here ..........Aloha

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
All you really did was show him he wasn't good at what you guys are working on and that would be true for any walk in at any school. Go visit his school and they will all go home shaking there heads about how you don't get their material.
Sean

His dojo amd mine are Both Shaolin Kempo Karate. His teacher and I both got Black belts from the same teacher the same day. I left after this and started to train with John Evans in SKK and Kosho ryu kempo.

My point was that EGO blinds some of us. You don't walk into a dojo and tell people there you are great at throwing people, and your hitting power is top shelf and that your BJJ is the best in the area.

My students showed him that it is not, and he has asked to join and start training 1 a week at my dojo. now time wise. he has been training 7 - 8 years. my dojo has been open for only 3 years. my blue and purple belts trashed him. ALL shaolin Kempo karate. I have gone to other dojos and been very respectful to the teacher and there students. worked out with many in the area. My point was YOU should never walk in with a EGO.
thats all

Kosho

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats was 1 of my points. he takes skk and I teach skk.

he is testing for his black belt in march.

he got tooled by purple and blue belts at my school.

he could not understand how this could happen as he trashes the students at his dojo. His EGO was blinding him.

He came back again for another class and now wants to train at my school. I told him to wait until he gets his Black belt from the other Dojo.

I would work with him to help him start to understand kempo/kenpo better. as far as what i feel it can be. LOL

all have a great weekend. I will post tuesday. as I have 3 days off from work and then next weekend Off to RENO NV.
to the gathering.

Kosho

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats was 1 of my points. he takes skk and I teach skk.

he is testing for his black belt in march.

he got tooled by purple and blue belts at my school.

he could not understand how this could happen as he trashes the students at his dojo. His EGO was blinding him.

He came back again for another class and now wants to train at my school.

Well, it appears then that he is serious about his training. Good for him for sucking it up and asking to train with you.

I told him to wait until he gets his Black belt from the other Dojo.

Why? If he is serious, based on what he now knows, it will mean nothing to him. Rather than a goal, it now becomes an obstacle.

OP
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He has put 8 years into his trainings. I told him he should stay there and finish his training to black belt and take the test there.

As he would not at this time pass my BB test I give. I told him last week he did not know how to hit hard or take a punch. He looked at me like what ever. So I asked him to hit me. he did, it hurt a little but not really bad. I then asked if I could hit him. he said yes I been hit many times.
So I hit him with a center line shot. about 20% power. he fell to the ground. in pain. was down for about 3 min. We both got him in the belly area.

He said he never felt anything like that.
Kosho