Does where you practice make a significant difference?

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to. About 2 jobs ago, I used to practice in the morning in the parking lot before going in. Then would practice in my office sometimes while waiting between clients.
you know i think people did it more in the early days of the "karate" Boom in the UK too. As a kid i had no chance to practice Judo/Karate as the only place for Judo was a University which was too expensive due to fees and bus fare. I enjoyed the books from the Local Library.. and coming to my point here, i liked the Karate Books which showed training outdoors mostly always in woodland areas. The Wood pine school feeling which although was only in a book i always remembered as my friend burst into a Kata.
just remembering & rambling...

OP
B

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I used to. About 2 jobs ago, I used to practice more "meditative" forms in the morning in the parking lot before going in, helped me get my energy for the day. I'd also practice on the tennis court in both undergrad and grad school (undergrad at random times, grad right before going home).
Several years ago, I taught a MA class for students needing a PE credit. We had a room in the basement of the field house. I was small but well equipped. The school decided to rebuild that structure, so they moved us out to the tennis courts, which most of use enjoyed. When the weather turned cold, we moved in to the biology building, training in the halls and open spaces. We even worked out next to a life sized stegosaurus that was donated to the school from an exhibit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does any of the Karate people practise Kata in the open? I remember some years back i had a friend who was fanatical about Shotokan Kata.. when we were running together he would suddenly stop and want to do a Kata. Even in a street. was a bit much at times. He was a bit crazy but did make it about 1.5 years later to the probably best special forces in the world :D
Not a Karate person, but during the height of the pandemic I taught exclusively outdoors, and exclusively kata (no contact). We trained at a local park. If I ever get a program started again, I'll probably find a way to do that again. I like kata in the park.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does any of the Karate people practise Kata in the open? I remember some years back i had a friend who was fanatical about Shotokan Kata.. when we were running together he would suddenly stop and want to do a Kata. Even in a street. was a bit much at times. He was a bit crazy but did make it about 1.5 years later to the probably best special forces in the world :D
Yyyyyyyyep, I do haha.

Maybe not in the middle of the street, but in the park, at the beach, if I find myself atop a beautiful landscape view I may.

And if I have one particular sequence or technique that I can't get out of my head, there are MANY times when I just bust it out subtly, usually the kitchen... but yesterday on the train actually XD

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yyyyyyyyep, I do haha.

Maybe not in the middle of the street, but in the park, at the beach, if I find myself atop a beautiful landscape view I may.

And if I have one particular sequence or technique that I can't get out of my head, there are MANY times when I just bust it out subtly, usually the kitchen... but yesterday on the train actually XD
i remember doing Ken suburi outside in my Garden but i think the folks next door were laughing at me. I never bothered though as the guys wife next door was seeing another guy when he was at work...no not me but she did offer one time. but as we say in the UK you don´t **** on your own doorstep. :D every time i saw the guy i just smiled at him. ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have done forms in the park, in the break room at work, and 30' underwater.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
underwater? do tell
Last time was a dive on the house reef at Buddy Dive on Bonaire. We dive as a threesome and we were waiting for our third to finish getting geared up. Honestly, you're not going to do a GOOD form underwater, but you can sort of go through the motions. It's more comic relief than anything.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have done forms in the park, in the break room at work, and 30' underwater.
It's so true.

Tai Chi in a pool, Five Ancestors in a forest, Hung Kuen on a mountain, and Lion's Roar in my basement. It all works.

Got caught once doing Ghost Dragon in an elevator.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Last time was a dive on the house reef at Buddy Dive on Bonaire. We dive as a threesome and we were waiting for our third to finish getting geared up. Honestly, you're not going to do a GOOD form underwater, but you can sort of go through the motions. It's more comic relief than anything.
why not..sounds like it was fun. I even saw a video of a guy bodybuilding under water... :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
why not..sounds like it was fun. I even saw a video of a guy bodybuilding under water... :D
I see a couple issues with that.
First off, you need to have equipment, unlike forms.
Secondly, you'd have to be careful of your site selection. Doing anything that damages a reef will not make you popular with other divers.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I see a couple issues with that.
First off, you need to have equipment, unlike forms.
Secondly, you'd have to be careful of your site selection. Doing anything that damages a reef will not make you popular with other divers.
More of a gimmick thing. Most Videos are in swimming pools.

Last edited:
OP
B

bill miller

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Back in the mid 1970's, there was a Tai Chi instructor who tried to start a class at the VA hospital. At that time there were very few classes available vets, excluding your typical PT sessions. She purposed doing a few classes in the pool for patients with spinal and leg injuries, and was granted permission for a 6 week trial. She took certain elements of the Yang 37 set and modified them to fit her students needs. She said that she was getting very good results with the ones who really wanted to be there, but at the end of her trial period, the VA turned down her program due to lack of funding, as well as insurance issues. She would later take certain of her private students to the pool and work them on her water methods.I often wonder what would have happened if the VA would have allowed her grant to go through.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Back in the mid 1970's, there was a Tai Chi instructor who tried to start a class at the VA hospital. At that time there were very few classes available vets, excluding your typical PT sessions. She purposed doing a few classes in the pool for patients with spinal and leg injuries, and was granted permission for a 6 week trial. She took certain elements of the Yang 37 set and modified them to fit her students needs. She said that she was getting very good results with the ones who really wanted to be there, but at the end of her trial period, the VA turned down her program due to lack of funding, as well as insurance issues. She would later take certain of her private students to the pool and work them on her water methods.I often wonder what would have happened if the VA would have allowed her grant to go through.
A shame...it's always money.

Latest Discussions