Connective practice before you train

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
For example:

"You, mate, are an absolute *"

"That's a real *ish attitude you've got there, mate"

Just to add to the fun, the inflection applied to the word 'mate' can change it's meaning from one of jovial familiarity to one of utter disdain.

And even more fun:

"How're you doing, you old *"

Can also be a friendly greeting.

The English language can be so entertaining.

That makes me think of that time where my Australian colleagues greeted each other and one of them said "so, how's old mate doing?".

To me, it sounded like she was asking him how he was dealing with his erection problems.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The discussion happened as the following:

A: X is better than Y.
B: I don't believe X is better than Y. Can you proof it?
A: Why should I give you the information I have worked so hard to get when you don't even respect (my X) or believe in what I do (my X)?
That's just someone being bad at discussion.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is me all day. If I have to prove everything, then I just rather not teach. There was a time that some of my fellow classmates thought my training exercises were a waste of time. They never asked me to prove it, but it took a year for them to really buy into the idea that the exercises work. They had an open mind. Did the exercises and then the Proof wasn't me showing them. Proof was them seeing the benefits themselves. Had they asked me to prove it, I would have simply told them. The only proof that they can see is that I'm getting better at a faster rate, but that has nothing to do with them, because we don't do the same training.

I think it should always be.

A. X is better than Y
B. I think I will try X to see if I get similar results.

No one looks at a muscle building program and thinks
B. I don't believe X is better than Y. Can you prove it.?

People either believe and they try. Or may be they try out of curiosity. I'm not sure why martial arts is like that. Like I said. Even if the person proves it, it only proves that the person can do it and gets results from doing X instead of Y.
There should be some way to support a statement of "this is a good idea". We may not be able to provide "proof" in a scientific sense (the evidence we have may be too abstract or not sufficient to that level), but we ought to at least be able to provide some reasonable chain of thought. So, when I tell students that they need to learn to punch well with round punches so they can be a good "attacker", I'm able to describe the flaws I've seen from folks who weren't taught those punches and what effect those flaws have on the "defender".

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks Gerry, I looked into the irimi and tenkan exercises, really like them! They seem really simple and encourage smooth, flowing relaxed movement, connection and balance. Will definitely try those :)
I've used them personally for quite a while. I refined them a bit after watching a much different version used in an Aikido school I visited. And then I started using them with students, and realized they are more challenging for beginners than I thought - which makes them a good tool.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious as to whether anyone here starts of their own personal MA training with a particular exercise to help their body be or feel more fluid, relaxed, and connected (in terms of upper and lower body moving as one unit)?

Whether it's a specific kata, breathing exercise, mobility exercise, or just integrative movement sequence that helps them better feel a connection and less tension within their body, I'm curious :)

I used to start all my session with kata Tensho done very slowly and with deep breathing, moreso to help relax my body and help to get grounded and feel rooted in my stance, but I'm wanting to try experimenting with other sequences that help loosen excessive tension so I can move more naturally and fluidly in the session to follow. Obviously it won't fix everything, but it feels it would be a nice intention and starting point of practice.

I guess it's within training that the disconnect is worked on for sure, but curious if any have a specific grounding connective practice they do. Thanks :)

Yup, I try to do this kind of exercises as often as possible. Actually, the founder of aikido blended his spiritual and physical training: he took religious purification rituals and performed them in such a way that they doubled as connection training. Some of those exercises were passed down to my primary teacher (look at the full body power expressed during the rowing exercise):

You should look into a spinoff of aikido called "Ki Aikido" or Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido ("mind and body as one" aikido). They ditched the techniques and focused on the "building of Ki" and they also have a variety of push tests to measure progress.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds interesting! Tried googling tagetana-no-kata and couldn't find anything, but I'm assuming you mean something similar to what Kung Fu Wang posted, combining basic movements (done maybe in a bigger exaggerated manner) with walking and breathing...

Great ideas :)
You've got it. Not surprised it's not readily google-able. I may be able to dig out a youtube clip... hold please...

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That makes me think of that time where my Australian colleagues greeted each other and one of them said "so, how's old mate doing?".

To me, it sounded like she was asking him how he was dealing with his erection problems.
Haha.. yep Aussies are a weird bunch ;)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup, I try to do this kind of exercises as often as possible. Actually, the founder of aikido blended his spiritual and physical training: he took religious purification rituals and performed them in such a way that they doubled as connection training. Some of those exercises were passed down to my primary teacher (look at the full body power expressed during the rowing exercise):

You should look into a spinoff of aikido called "Ki Aikido" or Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido ("mind and body as one" aikido). They ditched the techniques and focused on the "building of Ki" and they also have a variety of push tests to measure progress.

Awesome, those exercises look great, and for sure I want to explore those deeper principles of connectivity and grounding in one's center.

Thanks for that! I do feel we should post these vids in the MMA section of the forum, along with just the tag: "... you're welcome."

XD

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
In stead of repeating 1 drill non-stop, it's easier to do 1 drill for every 4 steps that you walk (or run).

Yeah for sure, that's a good point, otherwise it would just become a far too repetitive motion which you'd probably just tune out while doing..

Hahaha loved the vid, thanks for the laugh XD

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've got it. Not surprised it's not readily google-able. I may be able to dig out a youtube clip... hold please...
Ah thanks mate, all good if you can't find it :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definitely this line of approach is right up my alley... all his teachings and movements immediately connect with me and how I want to approach training. I'm thinking of incorporating things like this to begin with:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah thanks mate, all good if you can't find it :)
I found Sensei Nick's demo video in WindSong Dojo's online video library. Here's the link to the youtube clip:

Note, he does mention that there are several minor variations on precisely "how" the kata is performed, depending on which lineage of instructor someone has trained under, and that teacher's personal impressions and feelings/interpretation of "how" it should be done.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found Sensei Nick's demo video in WindSong Dojo's online video library. Here's the link to the youtube clip:

Note, he does mention that there are several minor variations on precisely "how" the kata is performed, depending on which lineage of instructor someone has trained under, and that teacher's personal impressions and feelings/interpretation of "how" it should be done.
Awesome, thanks a bunch for finding that! Very cool!

Yeah it's definitely giving me ideas. In a dojo I trained in a year or so ago the instructor went through in every session 12 sabaki steps/movements (well 6, but alternating left and right sides) from fudo dachi. It was karate, but he blends his aikido into karate (Ashihara karate background too, so sabaki was emphasised in that style):

-forward
-back
-diag forward
-diag back
-two steps diag forward
-two steps diag back

This video reminds me of that a little, appreciate it :)

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tried a fair bit of irimi/tenkan today before the session, was more challenging than I thought!

Tried this:

I found that my knees would bend alot as I'm stepping through, so my head would bob down then up. Was really interesting.. and helped to see where I was leaning too much, and compromising my balance.

Then worked on those 12 sabaki sequences, remaining relaxed, and aware of my posture and body positioning throughout. Then added some techniques after the step.

Then did some 'vibration' movements, leading them into techniques. Using my body to create at first larger then smaller vibrations that drove the techniques.

I remember Sensei Hotton talking about Tekki/Naihanchi kata, and he was thinking.. well what do I need to do get my arm up and out to the side fast, without using my arms? Was a very interesting exercise! Not so much only using the hips, but a rotational movement that is like a central vibration that not only rotates but it sinks downward as that happens. Hard to explain! But that sinking downward was key..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried a fair bit of irimi/tenkan today before the session, was more challenging than I thought!

Tried this:

I found that my knees would bend alot as I'm stepping through, so my head would bob down then up. Was really interesting.. and helped to see where I was leaning too much, and compromising my balance.

Then worked on those 12 sabaki sequences, remaining relaxed, and aware of my posture and body positioning throughout. Then added some techniques after the step.

Then did some 'vibration' movements, leading them into techniques. Using my body to create at first larger then smaller vibrations that drove the techniques.

I remember Sensei Hotton talking about Tekki/Naihanchi kata, and he was thinking.. well what do I need to do get my arm up and out to the side fast, without using my arms? Was a very interesting exercise! Not so much only using the hips, but a rotational movement that is like a central vibration that not only rotates but it sinks downward as that happens. Hard to explain! But that sinking downward was key..
What I like about irimi-tenkan is how many things you can pay attention to in it. As students progress, I teach them to use it with weight dropping, level stepping, rising weight, small turns, lunging steps, and more. It’s a great base for exploring movement.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I like about irimi-tenkan is how many things you can pay attention to in it. As students progress, I teach them to use it with weight dropping, level stepping, rising weight, small turns, lunging steps, and more. It’s a great base for exploring movement.
I find this fascinating. I had to search irimi-tenkan and saw that it is akin to footwork found in some TKD. I always appreciate when I learn about the parallels in styles. There are very similar motions in the Korean form Koryo. Sadly, not all TKD schools teach application, thus the explanation of the movements are not covered well enough.
Thank you.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesome, those exercises look great, and for sure I want to explore those deeper principles of connectivity and grounding in one's center.

Thanks for that! I do feel we should post these vids in the MMA section of the forum, along with just the tag: "... you're welcome."

XD
Just a heads-up, if you adopt exercises from other systems, you need to make sure they make sense within the context of the system that you train. Adding new things is not always a good idea. Sometimes recognizing what NOT to add is as important, or even more so.

I don’t know if that is the case in this particular example, or not. But it seemed like an opportune time to make mention of it.

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah for sure! It is interesting how we habitually carry ourselves, I know that in general when I stand I lean forward alot, as in down at the ankles, which I now understand psychologically why haha but how that shows up in movement is interesting.

And yeah I can see the value in it, would be informative exploring those other inputs into the system too!

OP
_Simon_

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a heads-up, if you adopt exercises from other systems, you need to make sure they make sense within the context of the system that you train. Adding new things is not always a good idea. Sometimes recognizing what NOT to add is as important, or even more so.

I don’t know if that is the case in this particular example, or not. But it seemed like an opportune time to make mention of it.
Yes absolutely 100%, totally know what you mean, and I appreciate you mentioning that.

That's the thing, we can incorporate too many different ways of doing things and it can be contrary to how movement is performed in a style. More 'stuff' ain't always better huh!

I guess I'm more incorporating or exploring this as it relates simply to human movement, rather than style-specific ways of doing things. Learning about the body and how to relax where I need to is what I've found to be crucial for me, as I can't keep training the way I have in the past.

So anything which helps to ground and center myself within my own body and to dissipate any unnecessary tension will be helpful.

And yeah if it doesn't relate to the context of my training or if it's introducing too many extraneous irrelevant principles I will ditch it.

I've noted what you said for sure, and will keep it in mind :)

Latest Discussions