Does this make me a bad person?

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last week a 20yr old girl swerved in front of a semi while drunk. The semi swerved to miss her and collided with those steel supports that hold up interstate signs, the sign fell and cut the cab in half killing the man lying in the back. The girl is being charged with murder or whatever charge she will face and rightfully so. The point of this thread is that that was somebodys father, grandfater, nephew, uncle, brother, son, best friend or husban (in fact his wife was driving the rig at the time). I wouldnt be able to keep my calm if this happened to a family member or friend of mine. I would snap, I would want to harm the person that ripped the loved one from my life (like the court video or the guys beating on the handcuffed guy who was being charged with murder). The person doing the beating would be me.

B

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question so I can understand the post, sorry. What's a semi?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Vengence should be best left to the law. But then vengence isn't rationally or logically motivated and thus vengance in the hands of the law becomes justice which is (supposedly) rational and logical.
That the girl was drunk is irresponsible but I think upon sobering up when she realizes that she via her actions killed someone would be punishment enough to her.
When my mother was still pregnant with me (about 7-8 months) a drunk driver swerved into my family's car and while fortunate no-one was killed the driver later, upon hearing that he hit a car with a pregnant woman in it... killed himself in jail. Was that justice? It certainly was guilt driven.

That you want to inflict your own brand of justice make you a bad person? No, I don't think so. You're human and you have feelings just like everyone else. Just like the person who took your loved one away from you. How each of us feels towards a circumstance doesn't determine whether if we are good or bad. How they act upon their feelings makes that determination.

IMO

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quick question so I can understand the post, sorry. What's a semi?

An 18-wheel truck of the large kind used for interstate transport of merchandise. It's called a semi-trailer truck; I think you say articulated lorry, or "artic" for short?

I certainly hope the drunk driver is at least convicted of mansluaghter. What a sad story. In saving her life, he inadvertently lost another.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, it doesn't make you a bad person at all. I'd feel the same way in that situation. Drinking and driving is the same, in my book, as pointing a loaded weapon at someone.

Tez, a semi is short for Semi-trailer. It's an 18 wheeler (what I drive for a living) that includes a powered unit with 10 wheels and a trailer with 8. The one I drive is just over 20 meters long.

Attachments

• $images.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 246

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No -- you're not a bad person.

I've got no sympathy for people who cause deaths like this by being irresponsible and driving drunk. The girl who was driving deserves everything the law decides to throw at her.

With that said -- I hope you never have to find out, but you just might surprise yourself. In my experience, people's deepest beliefs are what come out in moments like that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that's a serious vehicle to be messing with, I suppose 'only' one dead can be considered lucky really. It could have wiped out so many more.
The law dealing with drunk drivers over here is a mockery, if that happened here the girl would only spend a couple of years in prison while for the victims family it is a life sentence. I can understand that many would want to take the law into their own hands in that case however if charged with murder and an appropriate sentence was handed down I think most people could reconcile themselves to that.
I don't think it makes you a bad person wanting to take revenge, it makes you a better person though if you can rise above that and abide by the sentence the court hands out as long as it's one that is commensurate with the crime.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
If wanting to beat someone down for killing a person through stupidity makes you a bad person, well, join the club.

AP-Independence, MO
February 23, 2000

BOY DRAGGED TO DEATH DURING CARJACK
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. (AP) - As 6-year-old Jake Robel waited in the car while his mother dashed into a sandwich shop, a thief jumped behind the wheel and tried to shove the boy outside.
Inside the shop, someone yelled that Christy Robel's car was being stolen. She ran outside, pulled open the rear door and frantically tried to free her son, who was tangled in a seat belt.
The driver took off, the door closed and Jake remained entangled and trapped outside the rear driver's side door. The boy screamed for help and his mother yelled for the driver to stop. He didn't. It was the last time Robel saw her boy alive.
Jake D. Robel of Blue Springs died Tuesday before the driver of the Chevrolet Blazer could be stopped by pursuing motorists. Witnesses said a five-mile chase reached speeds of 80 mph.

Kim L. Davis, 34, of Kansas City, Mo., was charged Wednesday with second-degree murder, robbery, child abuse and kidnapping. He was jailed without bail. Bob Beaird, Jackson County prosecutor, said he knew very little about him.
As the horror unfolded Tuesday, Sharon Irwin was sitting in her car at the strip mall waiting for her granddaughter's dental appointment to end.
``Suddenly, I heard somebody screaming and hollering. I turned my head and saw this woman screaming and this Blazer driving by. I thought they had got in a fight and it was a husband or boyfriend driving off,'' Irwin said.
``Then I turned my head again and saw he was dragging something. I heard the woman scream, `That's my baby, that's my son.'''
Irwin said the Blazer, which Robel had left running while she dashed inside the sandwich shop, flew out of the parking lot at a high speed.
During the chase, motorists along Interstate 70 east of Kansas City flashed their lights and honked horns in an attempt to stop the vehicle. It ended when motorists in two trucks and a car surrounded the Blazer at a stoplight.
Witnesses said motorists wrestled the man to the ground and waited for police to arrive; they also tied the man's legs with a rope.
Nearby, Jake lay dead, most of his clothes ripped away. An 11-year-old boy who emerged from one of the vehicles took a large white blanket and placed it over him.
Beaird would not speculate about whether the driver knew the child was being dragged.
But Irwin said it is difficult to believe the driver didn't see the boy, because he was on the driver's side of the car.
``I think that man needs to be dragged himself, just like he dragged that kid,'' she said. ``He needs to get the death penalty. He killed an innocent kid.''

The boy's family released a statement Wednesday night.
``We love him, miss him and will always keep his spirit with us. We want to take this opportunity to extend thanks and appreciation to the people who ended this tragedy. We also want to thank friends, neighbors and the community for the outpouring of offers and sympathy.''
Meanwhile a 4-foot cross, a stuffed baby lamb, balloons and flowers stood at the corner where the chase ended. One of the bouquets held a note that read, ``God Bless You, Jake. From Dad.''

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last week a 20yr old girl swerved in front of a semi while drunk. The semi swerved to miss her and collided with those steel supports that hold up interstate signs, the sign fell and cut the cab in half killing the man lying in the back. The girl is being charged with murder or whatever charge she will face and rightfully so. The point of this thread is that that was somebodys father, grandfater, nephew, uncle, brother, son, best friend or husban (in fact his wife was driving the rig at the time). I wouldnt be able to keep my calm if this happened to a family member or friend of mine. I would snap, I would want to harm the person that ripped the loved one from my life (like the court video or the guys beating on the handcuffed guy who was being charged with murder). The person doing the beating would be me.

B

The thought, the desire, does not in and of itself make you a bad person. There is a significant difference between the thought and the action in this situation. I am sure that we all have similar thoughts, but it is how we act that will separate us from the unthinking, uncaring people who commit these acts. We have chosen to live within the laws of our society and we should, then, allow those laws to speak for the dead and aportion justice.

Even so, the sometimes seems inadequate to the tasks we ask of it. As Tez pointed out the laws on driving while intoxicated don't seem to be harsh enough at times. Here, in Australia, the woman in the situation would have been charged with drinking while under the influence and reckless driving occasioning death. This last charge carries a ten year sentence. Is it enough? I don't know.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

No, it makes you human

But in going after the person who are you actually hurting? What would your family have to deal with when you went to jail for your response to this persons extreme stupidity or malice. And could you live with it when all was said and done?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard question for me to answer. We each have a code we live by and mine may be far from what others have.
I know that if someone deliberately hurts a member of my family that has certain consequences. A drunk or someone stoned out of their mind might elicit a different response but I doubt it.
I can not say you are a bad person for such thought nor can I say that anyone disagreeing with your thought is a good person.
The law has one view of thing often individuals may not wait for the law but do what they feel is just and needed

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Vengence should be best left to the law. But then vengence isn't rationally or logically motivated and thus vengance in the hands of the law becomes justice which is (supposedly) rational and logical.
That the girl was drunk is irresponsible but I think upon sobering up when she realizes that she via her actions killed someone would be punishment enough to her.
When my mother was still pregnant with me (about 7-8 months) a drunk driver swerved into my family's car and while fortunate no-one was killed the driver later, upon hearing that he hit a car with a pregnant woman in it... killed himself in jail. Was that justice? It certainly was guilt driven.

That you want to inflict your own brand of justice make you a bad person? No, I don't think so. You're human and you have feelings just like everyone else. Just like the person who took your loved one away from you. How each of us feels towards a circumstance doesn't determine whether if we are good or bad. How they act upon their feelings makes that determination.

IMO

Wanted to rep you for this, but it won't let me. Very well said.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is an ironic thread. Yesterday was the most horrific day in my life. The comments everyone has made has actually helped me in that I am struggling with the same emotions the OP is mentioning. Drunk driving, good friend. What a waste! Been doing everything I can to take my mind off it.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Meanwhile, it's highly likely that the drunken girl is thinking that it's not her fault - or certainly, her lawyer will be attempting to prove that she is only responsible for DUI, and not for the outcome her drunken driven caused - and while it appears to me to be a pretty clear case of manslaughter, I'm not sure the punishment for manslaughter is sufficient; certainly, I doubt the man's wife thinks so. :(

As far as the 6 year-old boy - I have long believed that punishments, especially capital punishments, should fit crimes - if more murderers were put to death the way they killed their victims, and in a timely fashion, we might have rather fewer murders.

dart68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If that makes you a bad person then I may venture to say that we're all bad people. I understand how you would feel but would you actually beat the person in the handcuffs? I know it would be hard for me not to if I had the chance.

On a related subject, I seriously doubt that the murder charges will stick since I think the definition of murder is an action with malace of forethought. I believe she is guilty of criminally negligent homicide.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. This has helped me a lot. Ive always had anger issues and no outlets to vent that anger. In trying to avoid sounding cliche (sp?) my training has helped me to vent my anger and to get it under control. For ex: When sparring, if im dealing with my anger I might slip up on control and go a little to hard, with a lower rank this is bad for them for obvious reasons, but for a higher rank this is bad for me, they might feel that I want to step up the speed so they will go a little harder. Needless to say Im caught of gaurd and learn that my blind rage will not help me in any situation.

It also brings up another thought as well, not related to some one being killed. As ashamed as I am to admit it some one in my family (way down the line like 3rd or 4th cousin) is a convicted sex offender and is currently serving his sentence in a Florida state prison. While I wont go into specifics of the case, what would you do if a some one you know had a kid that was targeted by one of these people? Or if it was your kid?

B

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. This has helped me a lot. Ive always had anger issues and no outlets to vent that anger. In trying to avoid sounding cliche (sp?) my training has helped me to vent my anger and to get it under control. For ex: When sparring, if im dealing with my anger I might slip up on control and go a little to hard, with a lower rank this is bad for them for obvious reasons, but for a higher rank this is bad for me, they might feel that I want to step up the speed so they will go a little harder. Needless to say Im caught of gaurd and learn that my blind rage will not help me in any situation.

It also brings up another thought as well, not related to some one being killed. As ashamed as I am to admit it some one in my family (way down the line like 3rd or 4th cousin) is a convicted sex offender and is currently serving his sentence in a Florida state prison. While I wont go into specifics of the case, what would you do if a some one you know had a kid that was targeted by one of these people? Or if it was your kid?

B

Can I say first that you have nothing to be ashamed of? We are each responsible for our own actions and your relative close or not is the only one repsonsible.
The first thing I would do is contact the appropriate authorities either the police or the NSPCC here for advice, they hopefully would deal with the situation. thats' the cold logical part of me thinking and giving the proper advice. The emotional part of me would want to tear them limb from limb to be honest. I think though common sense would probably stop me as I wouldn't want to cause the child any more distress, however I have several close friends who wouldn't be as 'ethical' if thats the word and I can guarentee they would beat the living daylights out of the person who did it. It may not be 'right' but it's what they would do. They have their own code of justice.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats a good response. Right or not this is a totally different situation, when you are involving a helpless child. As of right now I would like to say I would be rational as well but if the situation were to ever arise I believe that all rational thinking would go out the door. Its a scary situation to think about all around but with the sickos in our world it is something that can not be pushed aside as impossible.

B

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

B

Well... One part of me says take him somewhere, get him seriously trashed, and tattoo "Short Eyes" on his forehead, stomach, and back. Then find some simple, stupid charge to get him locked up on. Problem would resolve itself, permanently. Quickly. :eek: After all, there's no need for me to get his blood on my hands directly, right?

However, the more reasonable and rational part takes a saner approach, scaled to the behavior. If it's targetting, but not actually done anything yet, start the reports and records, and make it crystal clear that I'm aware, and watching. And educate the kid so that they don't become a target. If it's gone further, the gloves go off. And I'll do anything and everything I can to lock the monster up. Forever. But, if it's "just a family member", I'm going to make sure he never has an opportunity to victimize any child I know or that's entrusted to my care. He won't be alone with my kids, etc. And they won't communicate with him without my being involved in the communication.

Sexual offenders, especially those who prey on children, don't change. It's how they're wired. Since we can't fix them, we have to incapacitate them somehow. That means either watch their asses and never give them a chance to offend again, or lock them away where they can't. (Capital punishment is a different topic.) And we have to -- we ABSOLUTELY MUST -- educate kids so that they aren't easy prey. And parents have to educate themselves on the various social networking sites and know what they're kids are doing when they're on-line.