Does it matter

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with... Most of us have 2 arms, 2 legs, 1 head, stand just so tall, have a reach just so far, joint articulation within a common range of motion. A kick is a kick, a punch a punch, as others have said. If it works, it works, no matter the style. These things I like to call universal principles, it is these principles, that I think we all seek and hopefully ultimately find.

Sometimes folks get caught up in how the technique looks rather than how effective the technique is. What makes something effective is how it manipulates these common universal principles of human physiology.

I don't believe forms by nature will work as seen or transmitted. It is what they contain that is the real gems.

Anyway, all the aforementioned is just my opinions and thoughts.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok a different thread got me thinking about this and I already have my own oppinion but I am wanting to know what others think. If you train your forms for fighting does it matter the style you are fighting.

I don't use forms as my sole purpose to learn how to fight. IMHO, its not just the style, but the fighter as well. I train to defend against a variety of punches, kicks, grabs, etc. Like Tshadowchaser said, a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick. :)

Mike