Does it matter

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok a different thread got me thinking about this and I already have my own oppinion but I am wanting to know what others think. If you train your forms for fighting does it matter the style you are fighting.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
short answere NO
a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick just as a single leg takedown is a single leg takedown, it dose not matter what style the attack comes from if you have practiced the defence against it in your forms. It may depend on your opponets ability or yours but if a technique in a form truely works then it works

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
short answere NO
a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick just as a single leg takedown is a single leg takedown, it dose not matter what style the attack comes from if you have practiced the defence against it in your forms. It may depend on your opponets ability or yours but if a technique in a form truely works then it works
I agree

Well said tshadowchaser

B

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't. The specific appearance of an application may look a little different in use -- but like others side a punch is a punch, a kick is a kick. You should be able to apply your principles and techniques to each situation.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From what I ahve read, back in the early days, the form was the style...

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with everyone else on this. There may be differences in individual techs so far as `demonstration' examples go, but in a reality-based type of sparring—fight simulation, really—or in a real fight, a lot of tech combinations are going to be the same. I've seen Combat Hapkido drills—they don't have forms per se—that looked identical to subsequences of TKD hyungs, or Shotokan kata for that matter, and the same combat techs are retrievable from them all.

Different arts definitely have different combat strategies. But as was said above, if you see the same moves in the forms of two different styles (or even arts), there are valid applications to be derived from them which will involve the same combat moves.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
short answere NO

This is exactly what I would have said

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
short answere NO

Agreed

The biggest difference between the basics of all styles are the training methodologies.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
wow I am in total agreement with everyone it doesnt matter, now is there really a difference between the arts

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't kick with a kicker, punch with a puncher, or grapple with a Grappler...

We must strive to adapt to our surroundings and our opponents..

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't kick with a kicker, punch with a puncher, or grapple with a Grappler...

We must strive to adapt to our surroundings and our opponents..
Learned this many years ago and it makes perfect sense.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
short answere NO

I agree

Well said tshadowchaser

B

Same here...

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the posts above but I'd like to take it a step further.

Finding similarity in all movement, when I practice using movements from a a form I will try to see how to apply the movement to defending against all the attacks I can think of. As in, OK now I've applied it to a right punch how does it apply to a left or how does it apply to a kick or a takedown? How do I use it on the ground in different positions? Then I'll apply it to different attacking angles and multiple attacking situations.

_Don Flatt

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It does matter in my book. I had a very traditional goju-ryu instructor who would get very angry if our jiyu kumite (free fighting) 'devolved' into generic kickboxing. He wanted to see the principles of goju alive and present in every match we fought: avoid or block the attack, enter the opponent's space forcibly, and attack a vital point and/or complete a takedown. If we particularly disappointed him, you could be sure a tough couple of weeks with kata and prearranged sparring would be upcoming.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with the posts above but I'd like to take it a step further.

Finding similarity in all movement, when I practice using movements from a a form I will try to see how to apply the movement to defending against all the attacks I can think of. As in, OK now I've applied it to a right punch how does it apply to a left or how does it apply to a kick or a takedown? How do I use it on the ground in different positions? Then I'll apply it to different attacking angles and multiple attacking situations.

_Don Flatt

Great answers, and I couldn't agree more! I've also done the above, and it really does help with figuring things out and help the learned moves "stick"... Excellent learning tool!

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ed Parker said never fight their fight.

Each style has a range where they are comfortable with compared to others.

I asked a visiting Kenpo instructor about different styles and there effectiveness on the street. His reply was the style is not as important as the person.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. When your life or the life of a loved one is on the line how badly do you want to live? You turn on your inner switch and go full out. The person who loves you is depending on you to come through.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ok a different thread got me thinking about this and I already have my own oppinion but I am wanting to know what others think. If you train your forms for fighting does it matter the style you are fighting.

Depends more on what you bring to the art rather than the art itself. For instance, if you and small with stubby little legs and bad flexibility, then training TKD for fighting might not be such a hot move. If you are training Taiji for fighting then you'd best be very experienced in another MA like Xing Yi or Ba gua so that the mechanics aren't so difficult to understand and apply. You have to work with what you've got, not against it.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
All Martial Arts (ALL martial arts) are nothing more then an overall fighting principle. From this overall principle, certian fighting philosophies arise. From these philosophies come certain fighting concepts arise. From these concepts come the stance, the guard, and the employed techniques. From the concepts and techniques come the katas. These katas can be actual kata, or two person drills, or formalized shadow boxing.
These techniques service one purpose, and one purpose only. To better ingrain the fighting principle and it's derivitve. The same is true with the kata, but because it is more structured it makes it easier to ingrain these principles. However, what this means is simple. One could take the techniques imployed in Tae Kwon Do, and apply them to the principles of Wing Chun. However, this would be extremly difficult and would require a great amount of dedication.

I need to PM this to Kidswarrior... he'd probably enjoy this.

Latest Discussions