Do you need to hate your attacker?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my eye was removed, I came out of anesthesia swinging. But not to hurt. I was hitting on the absolutely stunning young Indian nurse in the recovery room. I wasn't obscene, but I have always been somewhat reserved, and I was ready to marry her on the spot. Or at least get a date.
I was 17 at the time. And when my brain began to function properly, I was mortified.
At least your attempt had a potential positive payoff. 😂

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Often, the versed has an amorous effect on ladies over 40. Not sure why, but many of them seem to lose all inhibition.
They used Pentothol back then. In large doses it's a damned good anesthetic induction. In smaller doses, it basically seems to disconnect the filter between your brain and your mouth. If you think it, you say it.
There are quite a few of these drugs; scopalamine, midazolam (brand name Versed), and thiopental are examples I can come up with off the top of my head. I feel like there is a barbiturate and at least one more benzo that are also known for this effect, but I can't recall which ones. Oh, and ethanol, but everyone knows that one.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have been told I get very funny when I'm coming out of anesthesia. Missed my calling in standup, I guess. :D

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in my security days at a hospital I did once find a whining drunk sitting in a snow bank trying to find the entrance to the ER...on the wrong side of the hospital
I had that a couple times with them trying to leave. Get called to a code to talk one of my patients down as he was trying to AMA. Rushing out of there, but no idea where he's actually going so really just angrily walking around the hospital for a half hour until he tires himself out and I talk to him.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
They used Pentothol back then. In large doses it's a damned good anesthetic induction. In smaller doses, it basically seems to disconnect the filter between your brain and your mouth. If you think it, you say it.
There are quite a few of these drugs; scopalamine, midazolam (brand name Versed), and thiopental are examples I can come up with off the top of my head. I feel like there is a barbiturate and at least one more benzo that are also known for this effect, but I can't recall which ones. Oh, and ethanol, but everyone knows that one.
Ethanol is my personal fave!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had that a couple times with them trying to leave. Get called to a code to talk one of my patients down as he was trying to AMA. Rushing out of there, but no idea where he's actually going so really just angrily walking around the hospital for a half hour until he tires himself out and I talk to him.
Lmao! That’s a good one! I got to a Dr. Strong code in ICU as the 108 lbs. Craniotomy pt. Was climbing out the third story window to escape. When I asked him to return to his bed for his safety, he came back in and squared off with me in a fighting stance because he thought I was challenging him. When I giggled at him a little and backed away a step he just got back into bed without saying another word. Strange days sometimes.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
One teacher in my past emphasized hating your attacker. Now to be fair, he was referring to somebody out on the streets who has attacked you without provocation who is trying to kill or rape you or both, a very serious situation to be sure. "You've got to hate!" he would say why we were doing our drills. This caused much tension and a feeling of being uncomfortable, even out and out anxiety on my part, and I do suffer from an anxiety, disorder, as I am a Christian, and it is clearly against the teachings of Jesus to hate anybody, even your enemy, in fact your supposed to love everyone, including your enemy. Is it necessary to hate your attacker, or can you merely be determined to stop the attack by any means necessary, running if at all possible without hating your attacker? Does hatred actually give you the edge you need to survive, or is this teacher something of a radical in his philosophy? (Well, I think he is something of a radical, but that's an aside) All opinions appreciated.
of all the purported 'higher purposes' of martial arts training, overcoming hate may be the most important in our age.

Hatred is a poison to the spirit. some choose it, sometimes it can be forced upon us. it can provide tremendous rage to fuel aggression, but any who have acted upon it will tell you that whatever catharsis was gained in vengeance, there is no antidote for the poison.

you don't have to consider yourself a Bodhisatva to understand why compassion and serenity are cultivated in Warrior training, it is to protect you, not your enemy. hate will consume you. not to be a cheeseball, but have you seen Star Wars? pretty much the theme.

Latest Discussions