Do you know....

M

MissTwisties

I want to put my daughter in a Taekwondo school next week....I'd like to know if you know this master?

Master Choi, from Choi's World Taekwondo Academy in Springfield MA?

If you know him, have met him, can you tell me your impression. If you also know other schools in or near Springfield MA, let me know. Thank you.

So far I have on my list:
Choi's World Taekwondo Academy (Master Choi), Springfield MA
US Taekwondo center (Master Kyung Kim) Springfield MA
East Longmeadow Taekwondo (Master Huang...spelling?) East Longmeadow MA

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if you search under yellowpages you'll find about 55 schools in the area teaching different styles and systems

I recommend

Griffins Kajukenbo Karate it's in the phone book
Might be a little harder style than what your looking for but the man knows his stuff and is a top notch instructor

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do, Kids program

kajukenbo probably not a good kids program

OP
M

MissTwisties

Exactly my thought...lol

I have been using the yellow pages to find schools...my question was not about finding schools, I was asking if you know Taekwondo instructors and their reputation...I went in the parking lot of master griffins...I'm not sure I like the fact that the dojo is in a garage in the back of a house that seems to be abandoned, tho...doesn't mean he's not a good master, but I'd like for my little one to go in a nice dojo.

The Kai said:
Tae Kwon Do, Kids program

kajukenbo probably not a good kids program

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure

at that age it's really not about the martial arts. take him somewhere that is as close in location, geography and style close to his daycare. That way he is comfy

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know someone who is very happy with their TKD school, but it is in Boston. If you want info on that one, send me a PM and I can find out from them what the name is.

Good luck! :)

OP
M

MissTwisties

aye....Boston is an hour and half from here....not a good choice! LOL :p

OP
M

MissTwisties

Now I don't know what to do! One dojo seems to be a lot more serious, small group (average of 10 kids), it's very quiet, the instructor didn't smile much to the children, seems to be ALL about discipline at first sight....

On the other end, the other dojo is all about having fun while teaching, VERY kids friendly, LOTS of parents attending and watching their kids, music while training, they also have extra activities outside of regular classes family oriented (they just had a Valentine's party for the kids and their families), my only problem, much BIGGER group (15-20 kids and up), but they do have at least 3 instructors for the group.

I'm afraid if I send my little 5 yrs old to a more serious dojo, she might get bored, and will ask to go home if she's not having fun...she LOVES the other dojo and the Master is very friendly with all the kids, and always smiling...

Decisions....decisions....:idunno:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MissTwisties,

Let your daughter try the more relaxed dojo first if there isn't a contract to sign that you get stuck into. The relationship a child has with their instructor is very important and a comfortable atmosphere will help build trust in your daughter.

Just my two cents. My child has a "fun loving" instructor and has been training with him for over three years, so it has worked for me. As far as her being only 5, the older children tend to always help the younger ones when on the mat, or at least they do at my school.

Good Luck

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Nalia on this one. Taking into consideration her age, she may very well be intimidated with the other school compared to the one that is more relaxed. The learning atmosphere will most likely be better and she will probably look forward to going more often with you having to worry about her fighting with you. Now, I'm not saying that she won't learn in the more strict dojo, but again, we need to take into consideration A) her age, B) the atmosphere at both schools...which do YOU like? C) not all kids are the same, so whats good for one, may not be good for the next.

As for the class size...yes, it can be very hard to control a large class with small kids, especially if there are not many inst. present. You stated that there are at least 3 in the class, so there should be no problem.

It looks like you've possibly found a new home!!! If you already haven't, I'd watch a class, talk to people, etc. and then make a choice. Most schools offer a trial class, so that is another way of seeing if its for her.

Good luck and again, please let us know how things go!! :)

Mike

tsdclaflin

Green Belt
Reaction score
My kids instructor left after teaching them for 4 years. No one was able to replace him. Finally, the owner of the studio took over the kids classes (after almost a year of trying different black belts as instructors) and he was quite a disciplinarian. The kids stopped having fun and lost interest.

A good instructor can handle 25-30 students, especially if he/she has assistants.

Go with the learn+fun environment.

OP
M

MissTwisties

Thank you for the good advices. That's what I thought would be best also. Don't get me wrong, the Master at the more serious dojo is also kids friendly, but the other assistants/trainers that work with him seem to be serious and I haven't seen any of them smiling a lot. It was almost boring even for me, to watch the class.

In the other dojo, the only thing that kind of bugged me was that there was a BUNCH of parents ALL OVER the waiting/watching area...crazy. lol But since I don't know anyone around here, might as well go for it and maybe make friends with other parents, that would be real cool. And my daughter is very excited about that dojo, she like the Master a lot, and she says "I want to go to Master's Han dojo for all my life!!"..haha!! My husband wanted her to go to the more serious one, he got a little pissed at me for choosing the other one. But after all, I expect I'll be the one to bring her over there most of the time anyway. He was a lieutenant in the army for a few years, so I guess he think that all discipline and no fun is the best...ughhh...lol

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on enrolling your daughter in a dojang!

You may find that as she gets older, she will be moved into a more traditional class which is not so much "fun" as the kids class. That's how it is done at our school. Perhaps your husband could watch the adult class, he might be a little more favorable to your choice?

Miles

Latest Discussions