Do you have less physcial requirements in testing at your school?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, At our school everyone has their physcial requirements to do,such as push-up,sit-ups and etc. Our pee-wees,5-7 has less amount,7-17 a little more and the adults have three age groups 18-39.40-55 and 56 and older. IN the 18-39 they need to do 100% of the numbers require,100 push-ups for testing. 40-55 one half, and 55- and over are require to do one third of the physcial numbers. By the rest of the testing everbody is the same.

Just wondering what your school does?....aloha

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting take on physical requirements. I personally haven't been brought up on specific physical requirements :idunno: . Neither of my 2 instructors pushed physical requirements. Not that I'm opposed to it but there's only so much time in a day for testing. Personally speaking running through the forms as an aerobic exercise is good enough for me. Seeing if someone can do a million push ups doesn't interest me. Knowing they can analyze the forms, perform self-defense techniques, execute each and every form to the best of their abilities is what I'm after. Running 10 miles, biking 100, a million push ups, crunches, jumping jacks, treadmill, teeter totter, whatever, they can do on their own time. However that's me speaking personally.
:asian:

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Every testing should have some phsicality to it. However making an exercise a requirement is setting a bad precedent that is like making it a part of your forms, one steps or sparring techniques. Testing is about what you have learned and whether you are at level to move up to the next level. If you cant perform the proper techniques you should be held back till you can not whether or not you can do a few hundred push ups. The testing for the school I go to pushes you to your physical limits to see if your mental limits is up to the task at hand

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
calmone said:
making an exercise a requirement is setting a bad precedent that is like making it a part of your forms, one steps or sparring techniques.
Physical conditioning is as important as good technique. Neither should be over-looked.

V

Vadim

I agree with you Adept physical conditioning is an important part of training. My school also breaks down the physical requirements needed for each belt level based upon age and gender. Push-ups and situps must be done with proper form or they will not count. Here is a link for strength requirements for the blackbelt test.

http://www.tsk.com/news/blackbelttests/strengthreq.html

-Vadim

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adept said:
Physical conditioning is as important as good technique. Neither should be over-looked.

I agree. I think students shouldn't be allowed to test if they aren't at a certain level before the test. Unless they have permanent physical limitations, like asthma, chronic back, shoulder problems etc. But I've seen sick people test and given dispensation when they just should have waited until the next month to do their best.

Give them a chart to challenge themselves so they can aim for that at each test. Its amazing how good technique follows working out on a consistent basis. Small goals seem to make that happen. TW

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
My school didn't differentiate with age as to what you had to do. You could take as long as you needed but everyone who earned a belt did the same number of kicks, push-ups, sit-ups, and other various physical activities. I never saw anyone fail to do the number required, cause we always did exercises in class too, so by the time testing came, it wasn't always easy, but you could do it.
I always saw it as a way of ensuring that we had the physical conditioning to meet the other requirements of the belt test like the sparring requirements. Saw it as a way to force yourself to push yourself just a little bit farther than you've gone before or at least than you went for your last belt. Also it was always kind of a teamwork exercise to, to show no person is alone in their journey. You were always doing the exercises with the other testers, sparring or doing techniques with other students. Everyone was always cheering you on while you were testing. Kind of no person is an island kind of thing.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, that is our "system" too, Ping. However, I noticed alot....ahem a lot of cheating. I guess they didn't realize they were cheating themselves...
And also, those that didn't really get the fact that the workout is key to success, seemed to make the most excuses not to be there to actually workout. So three months later those same people who ask to test and if they could do their form as in ONE 3 minute form, a couple of self defense combinations, they could test... sooner or later they get the end of the line, recommended testing and its no wonder then that they are not ready for it. Not only that, is that the discipline to work hard is not there either. TW

calmone

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree physical conditioning is a big part of martial arts, that however was not my argument,my argument is is that everyone has there own limitations and to require a person who can do five hundred pushups to do a thousand as his requirement is wrong. As i said in our testing we are pushed to our physical limits and then we do our katas and other requirements.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Yes, that is our "system" too, Ping. However, I noticed alot....ahem a lot of cheating. I guess they didn't realize they were cheating themselves...
And also, those that didn't really get the fact that the workout is key to success, seemed to make the most excuses not to be there to actually workout. So three months later those same people who ask to test and if they could do their form as in ONE 3 minute form, a couple of self defense combinations, they could test... sooner or later they get the end of the line, recommended testing and its no wonder then that they are not ready for it. Not only that, is that the discipline to work hard is not there either. TW
Yeah the cheating is an issue, one of the reasons everyone was paired up in pairs of the instructor's choosing, helped keep people honest. Plus we did testing during the classes, not on a specific day, just whenever you showed up to class. Plus our school moved to like rotational testing (didn't like this) but basically everyone tested for a new belt every 3 or 6 months, so everyone was testing at the same time.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do some of you take all day to administer a test? A weekend? Give some examples on how the test is broken down. I seen some post on here that the testee has to run "x" amount of miles :idunno: who watches this person? Some of the physical stuff is beyond my comprehension. Our BB tests are between 2 - 3 hours. We bust out basics, forms, sets, self-defense techniques with questions from the instructors during any part they deem a question is worthy. It's very physical and tough to get through. No need for running, jumping rope, crunches, push ups, pull ups, chin ups, treadmill work, elliptical machines, rowing, weight lifting, biking, etc. etc. Fill in your own blanks. Unless everyone has time to watch everything I have other stuff to do in a day, or weekend. Just my thoughts.
:asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I seen some post on here that the testee has to run "x" amount of miles :idunno: who watches this person?

Only you posted on this thread about miles. Are referring to the thread I started in the Taekwondo forum re standards? I would think this should or could be a requirement to actual testing as in conditioning up to a 30 min. run. which is only 3 miles approximately running an easy ten min. mile. normally called a "fun run" by joggers. Or if there is winter out there, a treadmill or indoor track would suffice. But some people can't even do a continuous ten minutes. If they are overweight, smoke, or just are cardiovascularly challenged, running can improve it. Yet they go anyway to a testing and not do very well in sparring as far as breathing, stamina, endurance.

Or another test could be so many kicks in a minute. We also do 3000 front kicks in 30 min. because our instructor hates running. But those kicks don't build cardiovascular health because you do not have to really breathe hard or regulate breathing unless really out of shape.

And no, this would have to be a whole class requirement run or on your honor. I don't think the last part would work though. TW

E

expressdog01

jogging on a test.......lol
do you know how many out of shape beer drinking smoking fat rednecks would bust you in half.... stick to your self defence techs and learn to fight you dont have to be pretty to fight o and by the way what does sparing in a tkd school have to do with fighting

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only problem with endurance running is that it doesn't translate over well towards the kind of cardio conditioning you need for the physical conditions imposed by sparring etc. Extended fighting's an anaerobic endeavor, and you need to develop traits favorable to your end goal. It's why boxers doing roadwork spend their time alternating between sprinting and running during each session.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ping

We pretty much have the same sort of physcial testing as you do, ie so many press ups and sit ups etc for the physcial aspect of our testing. Unfortuantley for us we are measured against younger and more physcial members of our dojo which I think is wrong. ie... I am expected to be able to keep up with someone who is half my age!!!!!! and that is what we are marked on!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raisin said:
ie... I am expected to be able to keep up with someone who is half my age!!!!!! and that is what we are marked on!
I think that is a little ridiculous but it appears I'm stirring the pot around here anyways.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Only you posted on this thread about miles. Are referring to the thread I started in the Taekwondo forum re standards?
To be honest I'm not sure where I read a specific thread that had the tester's running. I just remember reading it somewhere on here.
I would think this should or could be a requirement to actual testing as in conditioning up to a 30 min. run. which is only 3 miles approximately running an easy ten min. mile. normally called a "fun run" by joggers.
Any instructor can ask whatever they would like of their students it doesn't matter to me in the least bit. Your opinion and mine are different on this issue that's all. You can prefer to run and I'll prefer to spend 30 mintues banging on a body one self-defense technique at a time.
But some people can't even do a continuous ten minutes. If they are overweight, smoke, or just are cardiovascularly challenged, running can improve it. Yet they go anyway to a testing and not do very well in sparring as far as breathing, stamina, endurance.
Yes, I do agree on all counts. Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they don't know their material. Sparring is just one aspect of the martial arts. Promotions should be based upon the individuals testing. The last one in our studio I said something to the head instructor while on the board at the pre-test about one of the potential testers. I commented on his body mechanics, technique, form, and natural weapons. I had no idea that this individual had made leaps and bounds of improvements over the last few years. He may have looked shakey to me but the people who were teaching him on a regular basis said he should be awarded his next belt for the amount of perserverance and dedication he has committed to the studio. This person probably couldn't do 100 push ups or 200 crunches or run "x" amount of miles. He is a person with some limitations and shouldn't be set to the same requiremetns as others.
Or another test could be so many kicks in a minute. We also do 3000 front kicks in 30 min. because our instructor hates running. But those kicks don't build cardiovascular health because you do not have to really breathe hard or regulate breathing unless really out of shape.
Again,
I would rather have students spend 30 minutes on their self-defense techniques.
And no, this would have to be a whole class requirement run or on your honor. I don't think the last part would work though. TW
Most likely probably not. I do agree with you again.

I have made my position known and I understand yours we will probably continue to disagree on this issue...... which is fine :) . Any time I run a class those who are in there know they had a good class filled with lots of sweat then come out pumped up wanting more.

O

OC Kid

In the system I was orginally ranked in We were pushed during our B/B test.
It wasnt physical such as how many push ups could you do but it was a very physical test.

The candidate normally test alone . In my case they did allow a a double test. My best freind and training partner at the time from the same school were allowed to test together (we did the test at the same time back to back no rest periods).

It consisted of:

Techinques: demonstrating all of the techniques with speed power an kiai both sides. every kick, punch and stance/ strike in the system its a Japanese system so alot of emphasis on proper form.

Kata

We had to perform 15 Katas and One weapon (Bo staff kata)

Self Defense

One on one and type of attack including the visiting instructors get to request attacks, the same with 2 on one and more whatever the instructor or visitng instructors wanted.

One on One defense against weapons both weapon to weapon and unarmed to weapon single stick /staff knife and gun. Then it gets into multiple attackers and the visiting instructors get their input on what they want to see.

Sparring
Starts outOne on one goes until you are very tired. They keep swapping out B/B fighters for fresh ones.

Then you get your break a small rest period of about 3-10 minutes and have some question and answer The questions can be about anything history of the syle/Sensei or any visiting sensei. This is the only break in the test.

then Back to sparring 2 on one and multiples with fresh fighters. They push you ntil you are exhausted and ready to drop.

Now more Q&A about history/techniques and anything else all the visiting instructors want to ask.

All in all the test generally run about 2.5-3.5 hours.

It is a endurance test for sure. But the reason for it or you to see how how far you can be pushed and recover and be pushed again.

No push ups sit ups ect.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
The only problem with endurance running is that it doesn't translate over well towards the kind of cardio conditioning you need for the physical conditions imposed by sparring etc. Extended fighting's an anaerobic endeavor, and you need to develop traits favorable to your end goal. It's why boxers doing roadwork spend their time alternating between sprinting and running during each session.

I agree with you. I didn't suggest running as a major factor to be able to fight. (but might come in handy to get away) But hey, I'm really can go a lot longer in matches, keeping my feet, body moving. The overweight, unfit people tend to stay planted or walk around and thus make easier targets. It is just one indicator of a person's allover capability. I hadn't run in ages and this summer decided to go for one, over grass. (and me and my bad knees) But 3 miles was pretty easy. But I have seen people at school who can't do five minutes of running around the dojang interior. And they test!!!

Kicking above your waist though, is anaerobic, you're right. Kickboxing a bag continuous with jumping involved would be more up that line. I had a class like that, started out easy and built up but when it got to be workout, they left. I ended up with only one student, a young guy too who was physicially fit. Running just seems an easier, incremental way to get someone in better cardiovascular health. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, running ~3miles doesn't hurt, but some kind of circut training approach might work better as something that better carries over to the testing requirements.

Latest Discussions