Question for LEO about Nunchuks...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was being a lazy *** today and watching old COPS reruns on court TV, and I saw a clip where a cop appeared to have used a type of Nunchuk on a perp instead of a baton. It was filmed in the late 80's.

I remember hearing about this, but were COPS at one time issued a type of Nunchuk? What were the legal limitations of the use of the tool? Are they still used today?

Just curious...

P-Diddy

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember seeing an article on a Nunchuka based system for cops in the late 80's. Since then I have seen another based on the sai and obviously the tonfa has neen done to death in the PR24 range of products.

In my opinion these designs were created by someone too excited about things from the oriental martial arts. It is no surprise that in the UK most forces are reverting to products based on a straight baton. Personally I have had two experiences where the PR24 failed to put a dent in my opponent and I had to revert to empty hand skills to resolve the situation.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Paul Genge said:
In my opinion these designs were created by someone too excited about things from the oriental martial arts.

Heh...that was my thought as well. I personally would prefer the simple, good ol' baton. Easier to control when dealing with a perp.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My first instructor had a pair of chucks that were intended for the LE market; lightweight synthetic, unbreakable (as far as we could determine), some type of no-stretch synthetic cord. There is some relevance and application, just as with the pr-24. The number of control holds and take-downs that become available, especially for passively resisting suspects, is great. The downfall, of course, is that most cops wont even train with their sidearms, let alone any of their other gear.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in the late eighties there was a move by some to get them going in the LEO community. It never took hold.

Dearnis has a point about cops not training. Some do...the SWAT guys here love to train (only a few do martial arts...only one consistently)...but the bulk do not. I ran into the same attitude in the Marines. I can't understand it.

But in any case, getting them to use a nunchaku would be difficult. Using a weapon that by that time had been stigmatized would have been most unwise.

Regards,

Steve

V

Vadim

My department has never used any type of nunchuks. I believe in the early days they used a wooden baton. A thirty-two year vet on our department still uses his to this day. Our department now uses the PR-24 and the expandable baton.

-Vadim

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have ditched the expandable PR24 in favour of the auto-lock baton. In my opinion this is a very good move. Most of the restraint were to complicated for officers who get a one day refresher once ayear that has to cover, defensive tactics, CS incapacitant, rigid handcuffs and a baton. Also I have found that when my opponent is that big that I start thinking that I might need the assistance of a baton they seemed to shrug it off without effect.

On one of these occassions I hit a monster around the head with the version that has a poly carbonate insert. In the end he tired of this, but it did not leave so much as a bruise, let alone incapacitate him.

On another occassion I struck him in the thigh, several times using a PR24 which had the aluminium insert. This failed and I tried to use the baton for an entagled arm lock. When this failed I threw it away and used arm lock. This worked fine.

As yet I have not had to deploy the auto-lock baton, but in test strikes against a pad it generates far more enery at the buisness end.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey I have a question for the LEO's

Several years ago (10 aprox) a former co-worker/martial artist developed some sort of device that was supposed to be for LEO's. It was described to me as something like a baton but with a hook on the end. I think it wasn't a straight baton but rather it had some bends in it. Sounds wierd but I left the shop before he had it ready for demonstration/production and he left the company a short time later. One day I was driving in my car listening to the news when I heard a short news clip with his voice and the sound of someone hitting the floor and the announcer saying "That was _______ demonstrating his device (whatever) for the Dallas PD (I think)" However I have never seen the device or heard from anyone in law enforcement that has ever used or heard of a device like this.

I know it's a vague description and a long shot, but I was just wondering if he ever made anything out of it. If some departments ever used it.

Thanks
mark

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, one of my guys has something like that, but I son't know if it was used for LEO, nor could I describe the tool off-hand. I'll get back to you when I get the chance to ask him.

Paul

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Paul

I'm looking for a name of the thing or something I could try and research it on the web. Just curious about it that's all.

Mark

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
was it anything like this ?

crh_med.jpg

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Guys

Thanks for the help and the info. I left the overhaul docks before I could ever see the thing, however I know some guys he showed the thing to and I'll ask them at work.

Thanks again for the links and the help.

Mark.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just checked out the links

The baton hook replaces the end cap on the asp baton so I know that wasn't it and the Crook hook was designed by Laci something. And I know that wasn't his name.

Mark

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
I just checked out the links

The baton hook replaces the end cap on the asp baton so I know that wasn't it and the Crook hook was designed by Laci something. And I know that wasn't his name.

Mark

Yea...that "crook hook" thingy is the one. One of my private students has one...I'll ask him about t when I see him this week. :ultracool

Latest Discussions