Do you have a progressive mind set?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never even thought much until I see it in UFC and see the effectiveness.
It just depends on how one trains. We did low leg kicks for conditioning where you just let someone kick your leg. Even though we weren't kicking our hardest, after 4 kicks we understand what a stronger kick could do. We held a heavy bag while others did front kicks. Even though we aren't getting hit directly we can still feel the force behind that kick.

Some schools use a kicking bag that has plastic bags on the inside. It allows the kicker to kick the pad as hard as they want without injuring the pad holder. The down side is that the kicker will think his kick is weak because the pad holder doesn't seem phased. If you used that type of pad then it would be easy to think that a front kick or side kick isn't powerful. If you hold a heavy bag for a kicker then you'll know right away that the kick is powerful.

If you kick those slap pads then the sound of those pads make you think your kick is stronger than what it really is.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wu Tang Flying Magie kick...haha
I knew a guy who was a massive Film Fan. Had loads of Videos of this Hong Kong kung fu stuff and even Godzilla Films...when we drunk beer together we watched them. Honestly I laughed so hard.
I told my mom that I wanted to learn kung fu and she signed me up for karate for 2 years I wondered why none of my karate looked like kung fu lol.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I told my mom that I wanted to learn kung fu and she signed me up for karate for 2 years I wondered why none of my karate looked like kung fu lol.
I think most people considered them to be pretty much the same. I only really saw it in books as a kid.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
are you in Florida ?... no way man these things are killers ! would soil my pants if i saw one in my home pool ! :D
Stomp it in the groin lol. I went on a tour in the swamp. I saw some alligators and felt that the boat I was in was too small lol

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no way i would do that... gets a hold of you it´s over. drag you in the water and roll. no chance... the most i see here is wild pigs and Deer. However in the last few years wolves are coming back over from Eastern Europe.

One did eventually get him.

Bit his thumb off

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe so.
Wonderful.

This encounter sums up every discussion I've ever had with a Wing Chun student.

Cord : How long have you been blind?
Blind Man : How long have you been blind?

Cord : I'm not blind.
Blind Man : Am I?

Cord : Do you answer every question with a question?
Blind Man : Do you question every answer?

Cord : Aww, talking to you is like talking to a wall.
Blind Man : Buddha once sat before a wall, and when he arose he was enlightened.

Cord : Do you compare yourself with Buddha?
Blind Man : No. Only to the wall.

That's probably because Bruce Lee inspired it and wrote this in the preface to the original script:

"The story illustrates a great difference between Oriental and Western thinking. This average Westerner would be intrigued by someone's ability to catch flies with chopsticks, and would probably say that has nothing to do with how good he is in combat. But the Oriental would realize that a man who has attained such complete mastery of an art reveals his presence of mind in every action...True mastery transcends any particular art.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This encounter sums up every discussion I've ever had with a Wing Chun student.

Cord : How long have you been blind?
Blind Man : How long have you been blind?

Cord : I'm not blind.
Blind Man : Am I?

Cord : Do you answer every question with a question?
Blind Man : Do you question every answer?

Cord : Aww, talking to you is like talking to a wall.
Blind Man : Buddha once sat before a wall, and when he arose he was enlightened.

Cord : Do you compare yourself with Buddha?
Blind Man : No. Only to the wall.

That's probably because Bruce Lee inspired it and wrote this in the preface to the original script:

"The story illustrates a great difference between Oriental and Western thinking. This average Westerner would be intrigued by someone's ability to catch flies with chopsticks, and would probably say that has nothing to do with how good he is in combat. But the Oriental would realize that a man who has attained such complete mastery of an art reveals his presence of mind in every action...True mastery transcends any particular art.
IMO, this speaks more to the Western mindset (in regards to understanding the essence of 功夫) than it does to Wing Chun students in general.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, this speaks more to the Western mindset (in regards to understanding the essence of 功夫) than it does to Wing Chun students in general.
That's why it's so circular and in a lot of ways, unproductive unless someone is willing to try to see both sides.

It's like the old kung fu joke of 食夜粥 (late night congee). Does eating porridge in the wee hours make you have kung fu, or does having kung fu make you eat porridge late at night?

These mysteries keep me alive, because congee is delicious and full of carbs.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's why it's so circular and in a lot of ways, unproductive unless someone is willing to try to see both sides.

It's like the old kung fu joke of 食夜粥 (late night congee). Does eating porridge in the wee hours make you have kung fu, or does having kung fu make you eat porridge late at night?

These mysteries keep me alive, because congee is delicious and full of carbs.

Completely off topic, but the best Congee I had was in Beijing, went great with the Youtiao...talk about carb overload

OK, I'll go now

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Completely off topic, but the best Congee I had was in Beijing, went great with the Youtiao...talk about carb overload

OK, I'll go now
I think you're on topic, or close enough.

There is so much anti-Chinese sentiment in the world, I think the world needs to understand the relationship between Beijing congee, kung fu, and overall contentment, and how refined of a concept that is, not some backwards esoteric junk.

Imagine if everyone suddenly hated Cuban sandwiches, just because of communism. I'm cooking plantains tonight...not because I love communism or anything. I am a progressive eater. That's how I ended up consuming Wing Chun, fang, wing, and claw.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think you're on topic, or close enough.

There is so much anti-Chinese sentiment in the world, I think the world needs to understand the relationship between Beijing congee, kung fu, and overall contentment, and how refined of a concept that is, not some backwards esoteric junk.

Imagine if everyone suddenly hated Cuban sandwiches, just because of communism. I'm cooking plantains tonight...not because I love communism or anything. I am a progressive eater. That's how I ended up consuming Wing Chun, fang, wing, and claw.

I'll have homemade Chinese red bean buns for breakfast tomorrow.... made by an authentic Beijingren......and if that makes me a communist...then well then....You can't be a revolutionary if you don't eat chilies Red Bean Buns.