Do modern day Kickboxing clubs teach the Muay Thai Roundhouse kick exclusively?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've heard since the Rofus match that most modern Kickboxing clubs since that fight use the shin for their roundhouse kick, influenced by how effective it was used by the Thais. I'm not sure if the Karate roots are still there or if it's just a blend of everything.

So those of you who transitioned to Kickboxing from Karate/Taekwondo, where you taught to throw the roundhouse kick with the Shin instead and no chamber, like the Thais? Or a mixture of both a chamber and the shin, as in Kyokushin Karate?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The power of the MT roundhouse kick is it's 45 degree downward power that most MA systems don't develop it. It requires full boy rotation (without chamber and without pulling back). IMO, it's completely different training from the Karate roundhouse kick.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The power of the MT roundhouse kick is it's 45 degree downward power that most MA systems don't develop it. It requires full boy rotation (without chamber and without pulling back). IMO, it's completely different training from the Karate roundhouse kick.

That's not what I asked.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking. Are you referring to Rick Roufus or his younger brother, Duke?

And which fight?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking. Are you referring to Rick Roufus or his younger brother, Duke?

And which fight?

I'm asking if modern KB clubs teach the muay Thai roundhouse instead of the Karate/TKD version, of if they do both

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

And which fight?

I was referring to this fight

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No there are still karate based kickboxing clubs that do the chambered kicking.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And an oddball one for you Saenchai?

Easier to see when he is dominating.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's not what I asked.
When full contact Karate started to get popular, I was a kick-boxer's training partner. Most of the Kickboxing from Karate/Taekwondo that I know, after they have trained the MT roundhouse kick, they "replace" their Karate/Taekwondo roundhouse kick by MT roundhouse kick. The reason is simple. It requires completely different training (such as the full body rotation).

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When full contact Karate started to get popular, I was a kick-boxer's training partner. Most of the Kickboxing from Karate/Taekwondo that I know, after they have trained the MT roundhouse kick, they "replace" their Karate/Taekwondo roundhouse kick by MT roundhouse kick. The reason is simple. It requires completely different training (such as the full body rotation).

There is full body rotation is in both Muay Thai and a traditional Taekwondo. The difference is only where you end up post kick, and what you land with. In Muay Thai you often end up with your back to your opponent.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Muay Thai you often end up with your back to your opponent.
Is that what a side kick is for?

alex-kick-combo.gif

Is that also what a spin hook kick is for?

Bruce-Lee-4-kicks.gif

Latest Discussions