Do I need a wooden dummy?

A

Aoshi

I have considered about acquiring a wooden dummy to improve my punching and total hand-eye-coordination. Now I was wondering if it is worth the money or should I go for something like a punching bag for example. Also it would be nice to hear about the training experiences if you have any.

Oh, and greetings to all artists!
:cheers:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, as far as I know, a wooden dummy isn't really used for developing punching power. If that's what you want to do, I think a heavy bag would be better - and cheaper!

Cthulhu

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I would just go with a bag to improve your punches. Hitting a wooden dummy can be a little hard on the knuckles.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most accounts I've read say that the wooden dummy is not meant to be used as a punching surface, but to work on specific techniques. Of course, it can be used as a punching surface, but like we've already said, there are far better ways to work on your punch. Even a makiwara post is better.

Cthulhu

OP
A

Aoshi

Ok, I've decided to postpone the buying of a dummy but if I at some point would get the money for it, would it be any good for anything? Could I learn to use it without a teacher (from books and such) since I don't do Wing Chun/Tsun.

Btw, I thought that you could get some paddings to the dummy (at least Jackie Chan had some padding on his dummy in the movie Rumble In The Bronx :) ).

OP
I

Icepick

I've seen Jaybacca teach some cool drills for the wooden man, using a partner instead. If you've got a partner and the motivation, he'd probably give you some insight, and you could start now. Even a little brother will work!
:D

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Padding on the dummy depends on where you get the dummy and the type of dummy. For example, some dummies are not wooden, but PVC with some sort of foam padding. Also, you could always just duct tape padding on a wooden dummy yourself.

I've heard of lots of non-Wing Chun people using a wooden dummy. One book I've seen recommended is called 'Slam Set' or something to that effect. I don't train in WC myself, but I would love a wooden dummy, or a Warrior Phase I :)p to you, Gou). Just...too...damn...expensive...

If you've got the money to spare, by all means, get one! If you're creative enough, you'll find a way of incorporating it into your training.

:cheers:

Cthulhu

OP
A

Aoshi

Originally posted by Icepick
I've seen Jaybacca teach some cool drills for the wooden man, using a partner instead. If you've got a partner and the motivation, he'd probably give you some insight, and you could start now. Even a little brother will work!
:D

No little brother (only sister and last time tried to train with her I got my a$$ kicked :D ) but I have a partner to train with. Who is this Jaybacca and how can I contact him?

OP
I

Icepick

Jaybacca is a Kenpo/JKD instructor in London, ONT, but he frequents this board a lot. You can probably find him by posting a thread to his attention here or on the Kenpo board, or emailing him through the members list.

OP
A

Aoshi

Originally posted by Cthulhu
If you've got the money to spare, by all means, get one! If you're creative enough, you'll find a way of incorporating it into your training.

Money to spare - no, but I have dreamed of owning one of those for a long time, so maybe I sell some furniture and get (the space and) money for it that way :shrug:.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

the only benefits i have seen from training with a wooden dummy are improved hand eye corodination, speed, and it will for sure toughen up your forearms lol as far as striking it you can but i would not recomend it you would be better off going with a punching bag for that if your wanting to toughen up your hands perhaps a kim bag or a makawara board or try some other chinese iron hand training

OP
F

fist of fury

If you don't practice WC and use a wooden dummy you'll go to hell:D

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

lol naaa you wont go to hell.... Yip Man will rise from the grave and beat your *** though lol

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WC is one of the arts I ave not studed but I sometimes train on the woodn man. I have two of them, my students made both for me. The first was a tree that was cut to size the had the "arm" attached. The 2nd is newer and made from steel. Hurts like hell if i miss a technique. I am going to put some padding in the middle of it them wrap with rope, for fist conditioning.
Remember their are different types of dummies. some move soe slide some rotate.
Shadow

WCman1976

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The wooden dummy is really used to take all the moves from Sil Lum Tao and Chum Kiu...and learn how to apply them to something else that is tangible instead of doing them in the air. So I agree with the statements before mine that say you should get a heavy bag for punching power. I didn't even give a second thought to getting a dummy until I learned the entire form...but that's just me.

Welcome to the forums!

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The wooden man is designed to give an audible feedback when you use technique with solid structure. Given the audible feedback, it helps a WC player train proper structure into thier body. While I suppose there are other things it can be used for, that is its designated purpose.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow...I didn't look to see how old this post was before I replied!

Well now you did it. For some reason there are people on this board that have a BIG problem with repsondiing to old threads. I really don't understand it. I pray to God that you don't get banned.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem, generally, with responding to or reopening old threads. It's only a problem when the thread is only revived to flog a dead horse, or generally as a disruption, or otherwise as trolling. We've had some great threads develop after being revived...

Latest Discussions