Discussion Board Trolls

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What makes these people tick? To me, it just seems illogical for someone to spend their time doing something for which there is no benefit or contribution to anyone. I suppose it's close to the same as vandals, except at least a vandal gets the adrenaline rush of maybe getting caught. Is there adrenaline in internet trolling? :lol:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it's a self-importance issue. They usually dig up and post on every single thread in a forum, no matter whether they have something pertinent to contribute or not. This racks up their post count and makes them feel part of the group, important, accepted.

Is there an advantage to internet trolling? I dunno. Occupies the time of others and gives what the attention-starved troll needs.

Just my ideas. Any others?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe it is an addiction. Perhaps it is just a way to stimulate or seek replies. Maybe there is a hidden benefit, per it brings more discusion on a topic. Maybe it is like a social gathering, people in a room just chatting and sparking conversation. Reminds me of a social gathering and college football came up. There wasn't a benefit of this, just discussion. But then emotion went rampart and soon there was physical confrontations. At least on a board, there aren't any physical confrontations (Unless another member is in the vacinty). Why is it that posts have to direly contribute something? Per what extent is the contribution?

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Why is it that posts have to direly contribute something? Per what extent is the contribution?
The purpose of communicating is to exchange information. If you don't contribute information or something useful, you're kind of like junk mail. It's crap that takes up space and adds to the clutter.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Why is it that posts have to direly contribute something? Per what extent is the contribution?

When a topic is started by a member, it helps to have all of the replies be on the topic of discussion. Once a post is made that is not on topic, at times, people have a tendancy to start following that post, which usually leads to a thread drift, heated debates, which can and often do, turn unfriendly, which in turn makes the thread useless. When this happens, we either split the thread or encourage the poster to start a new thread pertaining to the topic which caused the drift.

I hope this was a help.

Mike

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe just to see the color belts change? Or a need for expressing discontent in general, trying to upset everyone's applecart... Or like as you said shesulsa, the self-perceived notion that one is so knowledgeable that doesn't need to give credentials, reference or experience to back up claims.

...or just so important that one has to put his viewpoint stamp on everything... but it just takes credibility so wayyy downnnnnnn. A troll is one who doesn't give, contribute much but disrupts? Or does anyone have a definition? So guess if attention is what a troll needs, don't give it. TW

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Different trolls got different motivations.

Some are just to dumb to be hackers but want to cause problems.

Some just like to cause flame wars and get people going.

Some truly believe they are righteous and educating the masses.

Some got a personal agenda and are out to show the world...

Some got no real life and forums are the main form of contact they got, so they post drivel and make e-buddies while filling up forums with irrelevant nonsense...

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But perhaps, every post, per even the ones that have joking replies, opposing views, or data not in accordance to someone's beliefs (such as what a troll is). How can the state of opinion, be that a contribution, whereas the contribution may not be agreed upon? Therefore such a contribution, that is not agreed upon, be considered a troll tactic?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MJS said:
When a topic is started by a member, it helps to have all of the replies be on the topic of discussion. Once a post is made that is not on topic, at times, people have a tendancy to start following that post, which usually leads to a thread drift, heated debates, which can and often do, turn unfriendly, which in turn makes the thread useless. When this happens, we either split the thread or encourage the poster to start a new thread pertaining to the topic which caused the drift.

I hope this was a help.

Mike
Thanks Mike....with sincerity, this is making more sense to me.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
But perhaps, every post, per even the ones that have joking replies, opposing views, or data not in accordance to someone's beliefs (such as what a troll is). How can the state of opinion, be that a contribution, whereas the contribution may not be agreed upon? Therefore such a contribution, that is not agreed upon, be considered a troll tactic?
Heh heh. The issue is not disagreement, it is thread gankage.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trolling is like fishing you put bait out there and see what you catch, in this case you get under someone skin for them that is important. Just my observation.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the Rules:
"Please post to the correct forum, for a reason and on topic."

Standard bbs/newsgroup/forum etiquette, or netiquette applies here. Posting just to up your post count is frowned upon, and tends to see violators regularly reset to zero, or lower. :)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree, per if that is was my intention. To get a higher count or color. But this is not so. Being a "free agent" this particular weekend had me post a lot than norm.

My posts are my contributions in my way, perhaps not fully understood. Though they may seem austere or forward, they are my posts. My opinions, beliefs, or not, can be confusing. And though they may also seem folderol or to a point that they may not appear to be a contribution, they do not have to be to a particular liking for a particular person. Per example one person may like the idea of performing the "Triple Lundy Kick". I may ask why or for what reason would they? This is to read their specifc reason other than a response that it looks "cool". As with others posting many one worders and one liners like, "YUP, Yes, I agree, "Smileys", etc., none intended towards anyone in particular.

Although I am not new to the martial arts, I am new to the concept of forum posting. Therefore, because I have a different style of posting, does not mean that they do not make a contribution in some form. Look at the cause of effect within evidence of this thread. Also, examine all my posts and not the total count of my posts.

With due respect, I do not intend to cause conflict but will try to be more subtle.

Latest Discussions