Discovery 2009!!!

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow bydand slipped that one in Ninja style, so how are you liking the midwest?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow bydand slipped that one in Ninja style, so how are you liking the midwest?

Born and raised here, so it is VERY nice to get back to where the Lakes are big, and the fish are too. Plus no matter what may be said, for my wife and I the economy in Michigan is WAY better than the economy in Maine. Cost of living is lower, utilities are lower, housing is cheaper, Wages are higher, and winters are milder due to the proximity of the Great Lakes.

I just wish I was a bit closer to take advantage of the "Discovery" seminars. They are some of my favorites. Plus I liked being able to stop in and talk to a couple of the top teachers and leaders of my art whenever I felt like it. Not so much in a "Student - Instructor" relationship all the time either, but as a long time friend who had a question about something. Either MA related, or about the new vehicle I saw them driving. Brett and John are plain and simple "good people" who really care about others. Anybody who has a chance to go to any future Discovery seminars I cannot recommend them high enough.

OP
Raynac

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not so much in a "Student - Instructor" relationship all the time

Awwww this reminds me that I missed the annual texas hold'em game (I think thats what they called it) I LOVE texas hold them T_T

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bydand let me be the first or second to say welcome back to MICHIGAN!
icon14.gif

OP
Raynac

Raynac

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do you know the genesis of the Texas Hold-Em game they play? :D

you mean how it started... what's with that smile *GASP* did YOU start the annual texas hold-em game!!!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
you mean how it started... what's with that smile *GASP* did YOU start the annual texas hold-em game!!!

No not me. Lets just say there was a rather large group that had a bit too much fun one year the night before the seminar and it was started the following year. I also was not part of that group, but only because I didn't go down there that year. there is also a "Screw poker, lets have fun" group that gets together every year before the first day of the seminar. That one is a blast because you sit around with about 1/2 the instructors that are going to be doing a segment of the seminar and just shoot the breeze and relax before a long hard couple of days training.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Getting back to Discovery though, what was your favorite part? Who was your favorite Instructor that did a segment?

I always enjoyed the last day where you had a bunch of short sessions with a bunch of different Instructors from around the art get up and show something their group is working on.

Latest Discussions