Disappointment sets in

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I know I am new here but, with your help with my questions, feel at home also.

Most know I was supposed to make the trip to Boston this weekend for my introduction into Iaido at the closest dojo. Got every thing I needed which, wasn't much. Pants, knee pads, ect.

Its off for now and I am very disappointed. THE NORTH EAST weather has stuck again and the three hour trip across the Berkshires is not an easy task. We here in Albany NY have been getting hit with winter storms around twice a week and today is no exception. We're getting hammered again.
So what I want to do is pick up a book, my Boken and teach myself but, I won't. I want to do it right.
So for now, I have these forums and my interest in the art to keep me until I can make the trip early March. ( I just hope a once a month thing will work out)
Just wish there was someone local but, I have exhausted the search.
Thanks for the help in the beginning and I will be looking forward to when I can really experience Iaido. Joe

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Joe (hey, love that song....),

It's a shame about your set back, but I do feel you're doing exactly the right thing. If it helps, I've recently found a group training in a system I've been after for about 14 years or so, and am now anxiously counting down the minutes until they move to a different building so there's enough room for me to join in.... still, I've waited this long, a few weeks won't discourage me, dammit!

Remember you can always ask anything you want here, laughter will be kept light and friendly, really...

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Lucky for me, boy I shouldn't say that, the older I am, time flies. (hmmm, thats not a good thing.)
Well, for the next month, I can dig more into the art, by these forms and the good ole internet.

B'Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
You might want to try Lorraine DiAnne Sensei at West Side Aikido in West Sprigfield, MA. that's about half the distance to Boston. She is a wonderful 6th Dan in Iaido. I trained with her for a long time, until life and my health got in the way. I believe they still have a web site.

Good Luck.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Joe, I'm a bit north of Boston on the MA/NH line, we've been getting clobbered with snow recently. Sorry about how frustrating it is, but glad you are staying safe.

Try to work your upper body while you are waiting for the chance to train. Pushups, bicep curls, anything you can do to build up the muscles in your arms and shoulders will help with your Iaido. Hang in there!

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Folks, and Carol, that's one of the good things that is coming out of this. Been dropping the pounds and working the heart. At least I am starting to feel better and am attributing it to my interest in the art.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Been dropping the pounds and working the heart. At least I am starting to feel better and am attributing it to my interest in the art.

Excellent! Here's a quote from the oldest manuscript in the Liechtenauer tradition of swordsmanship that flowered in 15th Century Germany. It always helps me feel good when I only have the opportunity to do conditioning rather than getting sword training/instruction in:

"Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise. -Hanko Dobringer, 1389"

Best regards,

-Mark

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We live in the North. What are you going to do? (shrug)
I know we are a bit of a drive up here, but you are welcome anytime. If I had the room, I'd offer you a place to sleep for the night, but i don't right now.
No matter where you end up, after your first few classes you will have a great deal to practice at home.
Remember, come up here for our May Seminar. 40% of the people here are from the states. http://www.uoguelph.ca/~iaido/iai.seminar.html

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gonna try for the seminar. although I guess now you need a different kind of drivers license to cross the border.
As for weight loss, its been a ;long tome coming.
Dropped from 228 down to 207 last time weighed.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gonna try for the seminar. although I guess now you need a different kind of drivers license to cross the border.
As for weight loss, its been a ;long tome coming.
Dropped from 228 down to 207 last time weighed.

No a regular drivers license will do. You will need a passport to get across though.
It's still four months off, plenty of time to get lots of practice in down your way. I'll send my sensei an email, asking for the contacts of the people down your way, and get them over to you.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your setback Joe. Just don't understand how you guys up there can handle all that cold! :)
Try to work your upper body while you are waiting for the chance to train. Pushups, bicep curls, anything you can do to build up the muscles in your arms and shoulders will help with your Iaido.
This is not a good recommendation for men. It is usually something I advise women to do though. No offense intended, it's just that the majority of women don't have the upper body strength that men do. Most men will overuse their arms and shoulders when learning the sword. The more developed their upper body, the more that they tend to overuse it.
Exercise is a good thing, but I would advise concentrating on legs and core strength rather than upper body.

Good luck!

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Improved physical fitness is never a bad thing for anyone.

Regardless of our present physical condition, when learning sword, we all will progress through various predictable stages.

Stage one: you muscle the sword in your cut, using your arms and shoulder. You use the sword like an axe.
Stage two: you do the same as stage one except you try to take the strength out of it, but you still use your arms and shoulders.
Stage three, you start using your forearms more in the cut.
Stage four: you move from your forearms into your wrists somewhat
Stage five: you use your back muscles and you sink into your cuts with your hips. You let gravity do its job.

I’m generally working at stage four, on a good day, stage five. It’s a conscience effort to do it correctly all the time. I expect it will take still a few more years to get stage five happening all the time. Hopefully by the time I grade for 5th dan in three years. :)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good run-down Ken. I still have problems with slipping back into stage two. Because I used to be a weight maniac and still work out regularly, I tend to over-muscle cuts just because it's easier. I keep thinking I'll eventually not have to pay attention to it, but I've been fighting it for years and it still creeps in if I'm not careful. :)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have the same problem, during my warm up with a sword or a jo, I find I put way too much strength into my swings. After I warm up, and settle in I start getting proper cuts. Bend the knees, grip correctly, keep the back straight, reach out to the target, and let gravity do its job.

I haven’t competed in bodybuilding in 8 years, though I still hit the gym 5-6 times a week, my body wants to use all its strength when I hold a sword, and that just makes ones iai look like crap.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your setback Joe. Just don't understand how you guys up there can handle all that cold! :)

This is not a good recommendation for men. It is usually something I advise women to do though. No offense intended, it's just that the majority of women don't have the upper body strength that men do. Most men will overuse their arms and shoulders when learning the sword. The more developed their upper body, the more that they tend to overuse it.
Exercise is a good thing, but I would advise concentrating on legs and core strength rather than upper body.

Good luck!

No offense taken at all, good feedback. :asian:

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, been awhile since I posted but, have been reading... My trip to Beantown, Sorry Boston, is back on and the interest is still sparked. Unfortunally its not until Mid April, 16th, but, I am learning to be a paitient man. As for now, I am working with a local gent (at a wingchun dojo) on sword work. Yes, I know but, he has practiced in the Japanese sword arts. Keep you all posted and, its darn quiet in here.... Joe

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread. Boston is a long way, but I know folks that travel from MA to NJ for the specific school.

Was there a specific style you targeted? I ask because my area has some iaido and it's closer. Will PM.

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread. Boston is a long way, but I know folks that travel from MA to NJ for the specific school.

Was there a specific style you targeted? I ask because my area has some iaido and it's closer. Will PM.

Thanks, Iaido, and closer WOULD be nicer..

OP
Joe1957

Joe1957

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Checked out the link you sent and thanks. Joe