Disappearing History...

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Okinawan roots had been left far behind and, in the opinion of at least some of the JKA seniors, Okinawan karate was not perceived to contain anything of value. They were confident that the original Okinawan methods introduced by Funakoshi had been considerably improved upon by his Japanese followers, and there was nothing to be gained by investigating Okinawan karate systems. Masatomo Takagi, with a confidence verging on arrogance, observed in 1960 that "We (the JKA) studied Okinawan karate, but found that it lacked.....theory."

And so it comes full circle with TKD, with some fairly high ranking people saying the same thing about TKD, its patterns applications not listed in the encys and its roots in Shotokan.

Funny how things tend to repeat themselves eh!

Stuart

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
And so it comes full circle with TKD, with some fairly high ranking people saying the same thing about TKD, its patterns applications not listed in the encys and its roots in Shotokan.

Funny how things tend to repeat themselves eh!

Stuart

True Stuart, ironic is it not?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exile, thanks for an excellent post which makes some very good points. I just want to point out, however, that the above statement about Gen. Choi is not correct. He went into exile in 1972 not as a result of visiting the DPRK but rather because he was rather outspoken in his criticisms of President Park, Chung Hee (a man he court martialed and sentenced to death when they were in the military together).

Gen. Choi did not visit North Korea until 1979 or 1980 to visit his older brother. In 1981 he led a demonstration team to the DPRK and in 1982 he sent then-Master Park, Jung Tae to North Korea to lead a 7 month long instructors course.

Just a few historical details for a thread devoted to Taekwon-Do history :)

Pax,

Chris

Thanks for the correction, Chris. And thanks mucho for that bolded bit of info about Choi and Park... wow, I knew that there was no love lost between those two, but I hadn't realized it was that... serious. :erg:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see this discussion & debate & I don't see the history or the Art that we all love going away anytime soon.

As long as we pass it on to the next generation, it will continue.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see this discussion & debate & I don't see the history or the Art that we all love going away anytime soon.

As long as we pass it on to the next generation, it will continue.

Depends whats passed on really.. the true history or the false history! I bet the KKW was hoping it (the true history) had all been long forgotten by now, over shadowed by numerous repeats of the false history.. then along comes O'Neil & Gillis :shooter: LOL

Stuart

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction, Chris. And thanks mucho for that bolded bit of info about Choi and Park... wow, I knew that there was no love lost between those two, but I hadn't realized it was that... serious. :erg:

Yeah, sometimes I wonder why Gen. Choi waited so long to leave Korea, all things considered. Personally, I imagine part of the reason was that he was able to hang on to a good portion of his political influence even though Park forced him to retire from the military. Of course, getting out of the country was not exactly easy, at the time. I think it's important for people to have a good understanding of exactly what was going down in Korea and the nature of the political milieu the main players in Taekwon-Do's history had to navigate. Gives things a bit of a different perspective, at times.

I imagine the decommisioning of the 29th infantry division was an attempt by Park to curtail Choi's influence (since the soldiers once directly under his command would be dispersed throughout other divisions and, hence, less likely to support a Choi-led coup). This is pure speculation on my part, but I think it's at least possible. Making Gen. Choi an ambassador was a neat way to get him out of the country and thus decrease is influence, too. As I said, this is all speculation on my part. But those certainly were interesting times, no?

Pax,

Chris

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But those certainly were interesting times, no?

The stuff of high drama, in fact. A good writer/screenwriter has all the materials there (and more) to make a very gripping novel/movie/play out of.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...starring Keanu Reeves and Vince Vaughn, with Angelina Jolie somehow worked in, no doubt.

Keanu Reeves as Gen. Choi... hmmm, don't quite see it.... Keanu Reeves as Hwang Kee.... nope, not quite right.... Keanu Reeves as Syngman Rhee... not really KR's kind of villain...

Arni, I gotta say, I'm having trouble casting him! :lol:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You'll never make it in Hollywood thinking like that, dude.

It is an interesting story, though. It'd be nice to see people agree on what the actual story is some day.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have enjoyed reading this thread! I have not been on MT alot lately, as I have been busy with my studios and helping my students. Things I know all school owners can appreciate.

It is great MT members have been discussing the "disappearing history" thing.

I am a BIG fan of history- I do think it important to know. However, I had rather dream about the future of our art, than dwell on the history.

My instructor once said, "History can say many things according to the person who is writing it, and thier perception or recolection of it."

I recently looked at a 6th grade history book and there were several things that are different than when I was in 6th grade.

Great discussion everyone :)

Latest Discussions