Difficult Techs in TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the years I hear how easy TKD is ands it is to simple to be effective. Well I thought I would start a thread about which techs have given us the TKD doers the most problems over the years. Also what you did to make the tech. work for you since it was so hard to get down.

I know we all have them, I will chime in after a few pwoplw get it started.

ForeverStudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me there is no easy techs in tkd under condition it is done tehnically perfect. In tuls, every movement is hard if you trying to do it perfect. Incorporate sinewave and hip torque while doing full power and speed moves, while keeping perfect balance and focus isn't easy.

About kicks, i have the most problem with front leg roundhouses. Next i found very very difficult is jumping axe kick. And then spinning jumping roundhouse kick. About spinning jumping axe kick i even wan't think :(

Next what was problem with me is board breaking. I was so impatient i never took it slowly. Instead of long time process hardening knuckles and learning focus i tryed to break two or three boards. I injured my hand numerous of times. But now i do it good :)

And update: who the hell said that tkd tehniques is easy?? If one will do them inproperly yes they are easy. Everything is easy done inproperly.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is the simple reverse punch. It's one of the foundational techniques of TKD as evidenced by its appearance in most of the beginning hyung. Yet I would venture to say that most TKDists never develop it in to any significance.

Punching in the air is not sufficient. Bashing the Wavemaster once in a while with a barrage of impromptu combinations including reverse punches is not sufficient.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And update: who the hell said that tkd tehniques is easy?? If one will do them inproperly yes they are easy. Everything is easy done inproperly.

Not easy...simple!

Hook kicks do it for me, spinning magnify it.

I am old and earthbound so I don't entertain the thought of jumping unless mandatory (that does not mean I don't throw in a jump front or round if I think I can hit you in the head)

crescent kicks from a back stance...not difficult from the technique, just the mechanics don't agree with my joints.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am old and earthbound so I don't entertain the thought of jumping unless mandatory (that does not mean I don't throw in a jump front or round if I think I can hit you in the head)

you madam are no true tkdist then.%-}

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKD is one of the most dificult MA to learn and to do well cause it relies on kicks and feet and legs were designed to walk period. Kicks are harder to learn and perform well tha fists, so that's why spining and or junping kicks are dificult for me to do.

Manny

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Spinning kicks in general--right now the spin hook specifically.

The balance, coordination and speed to use them effectively is a big challenge. Add to that the set up skills and I've got a ways to go. Anytime you turn away from an opponent you're playing with fire.

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
turning back kick (jumping also)
spinning hook kick (jumping also)
The side kick gave me a lot of trouble when I was first learning it.
And the 540 hook :uhyeah:

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
For my next grading my timber break is a jump spinning hook kick and its giving me a good challenge at the moment. I keep thinking how much fun it would have been to learn when I was in my late teens, at my age I am very conscience of injury.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKD is one of the most dificult MA to learn and to do well cause it relies on kicks and feet and legs were designed to walk period. Kicks are harder to learn and perform well tha fists, so that's why spining and or junping kicks are dificult for me to do.

Manny

Meh.
Plenty of martial arts are difficult or hard to learn. If they were easy, they wouldn't take a long time to learn eh?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Spinning kicks were the hardest for me. I was a tall, skinny, and uncoordinated kid with a high center of gravity and two left feet.

Daniel

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All of the kicking techniques I've learned in TKD have been difficult for me to get accustomed to. Now my technique has gotten better since I started, but depending on what form or combination of techniques I'm doing it really does a number on me. I'm sure that it's a lack of flexability on my part, the mechanics don't seem to agree with my hips sometimes. The one kick that I really have a hard time with is the roundhouse, I'm used to using my instep as the stricking surface, but how it's taught in my TKD class we use the ball of the foot and getting the entire sequence of movements down ie, pivoting the back foot, chambering the kick and executing the kick, I've found myself on my butt more than a few times.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Learning a technique is one thing, refining and undestanding how it fits with the principles of movement and power quite another. The following three were the ones I had to work the most on to reach a beginner`s level.

Reverse punch.
Side kick.
The body drop throw, Tai Otoshi.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
simple leading foot side kick, i find it hard to get much power into it without building up to it, i can't just throw one out and expect to do damage yet. strangely, spinning and jumping kicks come quite naturally to me though.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The kick I struggle with most right now is a technically perfect backkick. It has to look good for my upcoming black belt test!

Learning a technique is one thing, refining and undestanding how it fits with the principles of movement and power quite another. The following three were the ones I had to work the most on to reach a beginner`s level.

Reverse punch.
Side kick.

I never did learn Tai Otoshi in TKD. We did a few throws but not that one. I did however have a lot of trouble with it when I learned it in Judo.

Interesting to note is that Tai Otoshi is a Japanese term and it's one of the 67 Kodokan throws in Judo and one of the original 40 Judo throws.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never did learn Tai Otoshi in TKD. We did a few throws but not that one. I did however have a lot of trouble with it when I learned it in Judo.

Interesting to note is that Tai Otoshi is a Japanese term and it's one of the 67 Kodokan throws in Judo and one of the original 40 Judo throws.

Not a TKDist but I come here anyway, the art is in the same "family" as Karate after all. I guess Tai Otoshi is not widely practiced in TKD but for those who cross train it is an example of a common throw can be hard to master.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Reverse punch.
Side kick.

I've never learned that throw.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not a TKDist but I come here anyway, the art is in the same "family" as Karate after all. I guess Tai Otoshi is not widely practiced in TKD but for those who cross train it is an example of a common throw can be hard to master.

Ah, that's why. I just noticed the Japanese name, that's all.