Different between Kicking technique of Muay Thai , Savate and TKD

MingTheMerciless

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is the different between the Kicking technique between Savate , Muay Thai and TKD ? I know that Muay Thai tend to generate the most power but also take slowest .

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the different between the Kicking technique between Savate , Muay Thai and TKD ? I know that Muay Thai tend to generate the most power but also take slowest .

I think in all three of those arts there are quick kicks and kicks that generate a lot of power but are slightly slower.

From experience the lead leg kicks in thai boxing are very fast.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There seems to be a tendacy for people to believe that moves that generate alot of power must therefore be really slow....and vice versa.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

First off let me start out by saying I have taken some Muay Thai and alot of TKD so I can only give my opinion her, I can no way talk about Savate because I have no training in that Art sorry.

Muay Thai uses more of the upper lower leg to generate power and using the leg more of a whip before the hip get turned around, to some this can generate more power in there opinion. In TKD we tend to keep the knee and leg in a direct line with the hip and then at the right second we snap it to generate more speed which in turns gives us a more powerful kick. I prefer the TKD method for my age and size it does alot less damage to one knee's at this point in my life.

I see benefits from both styles and can honestly say I have seen the best from both and the worst from both as well. So in all fairness I still believe it is solely up to the individual person on weather they can generate power from a kick.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Differences largely come from allowed targets, footware and scoring criteria. I think that goes for all sports, given time techniques will adjust to maximize results under the rule set they are used.

So shoes in Savate change the way kicks are thrown. Leg kicks in Muay Thai lead to a certain style of kick, etc.

All of them kick fast, and all of them hurt.

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Allow me to explain, since I have the most book knowledge:

In TKD, they chamber the kicks, and the striking element is the ball or edge of the foot.

In Muay Thai, they use a whipping motion and strike with the shin, NOT THE FOOT, as a striking weapon.

In Savate, they wear shoes with hard toe-caps, and they kick without chambering the kick. That means, the foot goes from the floor to the target in one motion. Also, they often use the toe-point as a striking weapon, since they are wearing hard toe-capped shoes.

So there. I have blabbed my book knowledge again.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some TKD (although I wouldn't say all or even many) use a whipping motion combined with the chamber for roundhouse (which I get the idea is what we are REALLY talking about)

i.e., the motion starts with the hip flexors (same muscles used to throw the muay thai roundhouse) and ends by firing out the lower leg (using the quads).

And even though there IS a rechamber, we commit our body weight into the technique before rechambering. This is nice because you get the benefit of sinking body weight into the technique but don't end up spinning around (and exposing your back!) if you miss.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Allow me to explain, since I have the most book knowledge:

In TKD, they chamber the kicks, and the striking element is the ball or edge of the foot.

Well, we chamber most kicks... kicks can be with the ball, the heel, instep, the swordfoot (outer edge), the reverse swordfoot (inner edge), the knee, the shin... so I don't think that I can agree with this description.

Sifu Mike

White Belt
Reaction score
Any experienced martial artist will likely have fast kicks-keep that in mind. Some styles lend themselves to seem quicker because of the placement of the kicking leg. For example, most karateka kick with the rear leg which has a further distance to travel whereas the front leg is already closer.
My Muay Thai training (from a world champion) taught me how to "snap" the kick and it seemed like it was nothing BUT my training partner was shaken due to the power I generated-and it was heard in the entire room by all. The kicks primarily use the shin and then the heel of the foot for a stomping action.
I had 1 seminar of Savate which may not qualify me to thoroughly speak of it, but from what I experienced is that Savate is similar to Karate kicks but heavy emphasis on kicking with toes using metal pointed shoes. The movements were extremely close and I could relate because I originally came from a Karate background.
TKD...lots of kicking and as stated earlier many from back leg.
My JKD background taught me to use the front leg as my primary kicking weapon-just like my punches. They take time and focus to get speed, power, and accuracy but well worth the wait.

Latest Discussions