Differences in lineages

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a bit more than that going on in MN! We have EBMAS for one, my Sifu tells me about his old WC Sifu named Ning (sp?) who also teaches in Twin Cities area. (not sure if that is your Moy Yat sifu)

lol...I see there is.
EBMAS I see gets a lot of recommendations. Matter of fact there use to be a guy on here that recommended me the EBMAS school here to me but I am not sure if he posts here any longer. Nope that isn't my Sifu. I don't know about the Ng guy. I wonder if he is the guy that runs a school out in the Woodberry area (I think).

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KG. Benny has learned a style that is from outside the Leung Jan Lineage. One that was closed school. Wiliam Cheung was taught the 'closed school version from Yip Man. The two are very similar. This is not surprising if there was a Wing Chun taught to those who paid (an effective one never the less) while the 'traditional' system was kept to a limited few.

You seem to be closed to this fact and the fact that both gentlemen may be correct. Master Ting is funny though. He first claimed that there was no secret WC then suddenly there was, and he was the sole possessor.

Peter

Don't forget to call him 'Grandmaster Almightyness Leung Ting' :rofl:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Master Ting is funny though. He first claimed that there was no secret WC then suddenly there was, and he was the sole possessor.

Peter

Leung Ting can be... peculiar. Now I don't know what he's saying lately, but when I studied under him back in the 80s and early 90s, his main thing was that his WT system was different in significant ways from the way other Yip Man students interpreted the system. These differences were not "secrets", but mainly 1. his interpretation of the stances and steps, 2. His emphasis on using a yielding, "springy" force in techniques, such as bong-sau, and 3. His particular teaching method with its organized "sections" of chi-sau, etc. The combination of these three approaches does give WT and its offshoots (EBMAS, NWTO, etc.) a different flavor than the other Yip man lineages I've seen, though IMHO there are far more similarities than differences.

Leung Ting's teaching is solid and I believe his skills are exceptional. Unlike the other two individuals mentioned, his controversial reputation stems from his attitude, not from his technique...

My personal solution to this personality issue was to find a less renowned exponent of the same system who is a gifted teacher and a man of good character.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My personal solution to this personality issue was to find a less renowned exponent of the same system who is a gifted teacher and a man of good character.

Are you nominating yourself there Geezer??

:)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you nominating yourself there Geezer??

:)

Nope. I don't have the necessary level of skill. There are a few WT guys in the US who do though, ...and most of them have broken away from Leung Ting.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope. I don't have the necessary level of skill. There are a few WT guys in the US who do though, ...and most of them have broken away from Leung Ting.

I wonder why so many people then disassociate themselves from him? I wonder is he loved out there in China.

Well I'm nominating you. Send me a 8x5 photo along with a short bio. I'll make ya famous..... I'll just charge 50% as a agent fee.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
What would you say are some differences between the two?
As a beginner I couldn't tell the differences between the 2 if I sat and watched them alone on a bright sunny day.
I sit back now and really kick myself for not taking the time to go to Duncan Leung's school to see how it is. I think a guy by the name of Gordon runs the school.

I'll just give you a few general differences based on my understanding. 1. in general I would say Duncan Wc is harder street based and mid range geared twards fast combat. Chi Sao is not emphiesed maybe because it's based on not getting to close to the opponent but that's only a guess. Drills( the circle)are the main training. The use of senitively is not emphisesed and like to damage the opponets bridge by hard powerfull blocks in stead of defections in general. Moy Yat WC is more or less alot like many others. More traditional,progress is slower more emphises is placed on Chi sao, sensitivity, Wooden Dummy training ,and little sparring and forms. More attention to detail in some respects. Moy Yat WC is more close range compared to Duncans. This is only my opinion. Both styles are good. What's more important is who's teaching you and their level of skill and the ability to transmit it to you.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll just give you a few general differences based on my understanding. 1. in general I would say Duncan Wc is harder street based and mid range geared towards fast combat. Chi Sao is not emphasized maybe because it's based on not getting to close to the opponent but that's only a guess. Drills( the circle)are the main training. The use of sensitivity is not emphasized and like to damage the opponents bridge by hard powerful blocks in stead of defections in general. Moy Yat WC is more or less a lot like many others. More traditional,progress is slower more emphasis is placed on Chi sao, sensitivity, Wooden Dummy training ,and little sparring and forms. More attention to detail in some respects. Moy Yat WC is more close range compared to Duncans. This is only my opinion. Both styles are good. What's more important is who's teaching you and their level of skill and the ability to transmit it to you.

Thanks. I concerned about which is better and what not but just general the differences as you described. Since I rarely go back to Va Beach the odds of me walking into his school are slim.

When you don't have access to other schools and students of other lineages it is helpful to listen to others who can give you their opinion of stuff.

Being that I take Moy Yat for now I will certainly agree that progress seems to be slow and there is a big emphasis on sensitivity and forms.

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. I concerned about which is better and what not but just general the differences as you described. Since I rarely go back to Va Beach the odds of me walking into his school are slim.

When you don't have access to other schools and students of other lineages it is helpful to listen to others who can give you their opinion of stuff.

Being that I take Moy Yat for now I will certainly agree that progress seems to be slow and there is a big emphasis on sensitivity and forms.

I would say stay where you are for now but always keep an open mind.If you can try to train with other WC guys(friends if possible) to compare your skill to theirs (years of training etc.) . See if what your learning is working.That's the only way to know.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
don't know what the differences are but i'm studying under the Jiu Wan line. from what I know from Jason Lau's website, Jiu Wan and Ip were kung fu brothers studying under Chan wa shun.
so it's probably similar. seeing Ip performing SLT on video, it definitely is similar there.

My understanding is Jip Man was SiGung Jiu Wan's Wing Chun uncle. They both came from the Chan Wah Shun line, but Jiu Wan studied with Chan Mim, Jip Man's gung fu brother. When Jiu Wan went to Hong Kong, he went under Jip Man's flag to show respect to his uncle.

IMO, all the WC lines are pretty much the same, they can trace their beginnings back to the Shaolin Temple. The core principles, theories, and concepts all generally appear to be the same. It's just every sifu's interpretation (or maybe it's their imagination in use of the hand postitions?) of the WC system is different.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am trying to learn about WC and I know there are a lot of different lineages: however, I was hoping someone could provide a simplified understanding/version of what each of the following lineages differences are? Thank you.

Yip Man
Ip Ching
Jiu Man
William Cheung

Who is Jiu Man? You probably mean Jiu Wan, correct?

Latest Discussions