Diferences in karate

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, John. I wish you well in your business endeavors, but I won't be buying one of those videos... I find the concept of shitei kata to be abhorrent.

The idea of Shitei kata has its place in competition, though, in that it supposedly puts everyone on the same playing field. Thus, one person's way of performing Shotokan's Kanku Dai or Jion will not be favored from another one's, since everyone has to do it with the same sequence.

Let's face it: judges are going to be biased, even if they try not to be biased. This way, judges who know how each Shitei kata is supposed to be performed, can render a fairer judgement.

I do wonder, though, what the Wado Ryu folks were thinking when they decided to use Seisan as a Shitei kata? I can certainly agree with using Chinto, since it shows very well, but Seisan? I would have figured they would have used Wanshu instead...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although there are style differences in karate, and it may all look similar, the Main differences lie within. Where does the power come from? Here is where you will find a few differences in opinion. Some arts are distance oriented and some are close in, and it will show up to a certain extent in their kata.

JohnASE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, John. I wish you well in your business endeavors, but I won't be buying one of those videos... I find the concept of shitei kata to be abhorrent.
I didn't realize there was such an aversion to shitei kata. I always just thought of them as versions of a kata that a group had decided would be the official version. i didn't realize they were so far removed from traditional kata that people would find them so without merit.

Dancingalone, thank you for your well wishes. Not too many people are interested in WKF Shitei Kata videos. We rarely sell them to anyone other than USANKF coaches. A lot of people like the competitions though!

Latest Discussions