Did you kick anything in your Shotokan or Goju Ryu kick training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here you go. I wonder what excuses you’ll make to dismiss you’ve been proven wrong yet again

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah because if you pay close attention to his posting history, he is tracking me on the forum and writing contrarian posts whenever he can.
He probably just replies to active threads. I doubt his reading habits center around you.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would question any dojo that did not have a heavy kicking bag. I don't believe it is possible to develop effective kicks or punches, or any other strikes, without experiencing impact. And it's not just about gaining power and strength in the moves (although these are very important.)

There are other benefits as well. Number two is balance and position after impact. If good form is not present, meeting a resisting object can throw you off balance as it sends a shock wave thru your body.

Thirdly, having a realistic object to hit develops focus, physically and mentally (and spiritually as well.)

Next, having a solid target teaches you gauge distance so you can develop a sense of the proper maia for the various strikes

Still another benefit is if your ankle or wrist is not angled or tightened properly, a heavy bag will quickly point that out.

All of the above are vitally important in karate. And something else that's important - it's fun! Hand held shields are better than nothing, but require a partner and must be held at specific angles for prearranged targets. Hanging bags are best.

A workout wasn't complete until the heavy canvas bag and makiwara (wrapped with coarse rope) had taken some skin off my knuckles. Loved it!

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He probably just replies to active threads. I doubt his reading habits center around you.

whether he does or not, he is not training anything. Trust me. I can spot them a mile away.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would question any dojo that did not have a heavy kicking bag. I don't believe it is possible to develop effective kicks or punches, or any other strikes, without experiencing impact. And it's not just about gaining power and strength in the moves (although these are very important.)

There are other benefits as well. Number two is balance and position after impact. If good form is not present, meeting a resisting object can throw you off balance as it sends a shock wave thru your body.

Thirdly, having a realistic object to hit develops focus, physically and mentally (and spiritually as well.)

Next, having a solid target teaches you gauge distance so you can develop a sense of the proper maia for the various strikes

Still another benefit is if your ankle or wrist is not angled or tightened properly, a heavy bag will quickly point that out.

All of the above are vitally important in karate. And something else that's important - it's fun! Hand held shields are better than nothing, but require a partner and must be held at specific angles for prearranged targets. Hanging bags are best.

A workout wasn't complete until the heavy canvas bag and makiwara (wrapped with coarse rope) had taken some skin off my knuckles. Loved it!

I agree but there are two points to consider here: A) the Makiwara is not exactly modern training equipment... B) it is of doubtful value to more advanced kicks. C) pads, and heavy bags are probably not the core of traditional Karate although there is footage of it being used.

A heavy bag is a good way to tear your knees up. Much better to kick medium soft kicking shields.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree but there are two points to consider here: A) the Makiwara is not exactly modern training equipment... B) it is of doubtful value to more advanced kicks. C) pads, and heavy bags are probably not the core of traditional Karate although there is footage of it being used.

A heavy bag is a good way to tear your knees up. Much better to kick medium soft kicking shields.
Heavy bag never tore up my knees. Used one for years, 70+ pounds.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
whether he does or not, he is not training anything. Trust me. I can spot them a mile away.
HAHAHA yeah no ones listening to you. I’m sure everyone on here has different opinions on me And that’s fine I care very little about what people think about me but I can guarantee no one on here will side with you on the fact that I don’t train anything

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been training Shotokan Karate for 6 or 7 years now... We kick heavy bags. Not every class, but a lot. We also kick focus mitts, shields, and each other. Sometimes we kick each other, while one guy is just taking it... learning to take a kick, while the other guy is working on accuracy. Other times we kick each other while sparring. We kick each other in those useless one steps... on both sides. If you don't block or get offline, you get kicked, for real. If you do block, you are blocking a real kick... and many times we return a real kick after the block, as the counter attack. (one that makes contact, according to the experience of the guy getting kicked) We have cross trained with many other local dojos, and all the ones we cross train with, kick things quite a bit too. Just my experience...

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been training Shotokan Karate for 6 or 7 years now... We kick heavy bags. Not every class, but a lot. We also kick focus mitts, shields, and each other. Sometimes we kick each other, while one guy is just taking it... learning to take a kick, while the other guy is working on accuracy. Other times we kick each other while sparring. We kick each other in those useless one steps... on both sides. If you don't block or get offline, you get kicked, for real. If you do block, you are blocking a real kick... and many times we return a real kick after the block, as the counter attack. (one that makes contact, according to the experience of the guy getting kicked) We have cross trained with many other local dojos, and all the ones we cross train with, kick things quite a bit too. Just my experience...

JKA? What country?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty much mine to

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would question any dojo that did not have a heavy kicking bag.
I would question any individual that did not have a heavy kicking bag at home. The heavy bag training is part of the home work.

A: My school doesn't spar enough.
B: You should form a fighting club yourself.

A: My school doesn't train enough on the heavy bag.
B: You should train heavy bag at home.

One should not allow his MA school to restrict his personal training.

My MA school didn't teach me the knife throwing skill. I developed my knife throwing skill all by myself.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Please name organization too. There’s American proliferation of Karate that no doubt employ lots of kicking tools. It's the Japanese Karate association in particular that I question based on my observations

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would question any individual that did not have a heavy kicking bag at home. The heavy bag training is part of the home work.

A: My school doesn't spar enough.
B: You should form a fighting club yourself.

If there was a face slap to that quote, I would use it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's really not any true or false answer here.

For instance, Joe Lewis only kicked two things, people and heavy bags, never air.
Bill Wallace only kicked two things, people and air, never heavy bags.

Both had remarkable skill and great careers.

As for Shotokan, I can only speak of the East Coast. Shotokan fighters back there in the seventies, eighties nineties and two thousands - were just plain nasty to fight. I always used to describe fighting them as - "they will punch a whole right through your f'n body, just to give the finger to the guy behind you."

As for Goju, I originally trained Greek Gojo Ryu. It was a hard fighting school. They kicked bags hard, but I wasn't there long enough to know how often.

Personally, my dojo had ten to twenty heavy bags - depending on how often we broke them. Even had a couple on elevator cable, with rollers atop the bag, that went between the I-beams. That way you could drive them back with hard combos.

I loved bag work. I became a wholesaler so I could get them fairly inexpensive. I preferred TufWare leather bags. Don't know if they're still quality or not, haven't bought one in quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions