Did I pass up something good? Or was it a charlatan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was at the gym training on the bag. This wasn't my usual gym but one I was testing out. My old is getting a bit crowded, anyway this this guy came up to me and said he was impressed with what he was seeing. Some other guys looked impressed to complementing how far back the bag was going after hitting it a couple times.

He asked for my weight and I said 209. Immediately the guys with him shouted and cheered, the guy said that's perfect, you can fight my friend here. His friend was a guy around my size and a little taller.

I said what do you mean fight? He said don't worry you'll have gloves and headgear and we'd watch our for cheating.

I said I don't need to be fighting, this was immediately followed by oh cmon don't be a pussy and why you bitching out? From him and his group that was with him.

I tried walking away but they didn't let me leave and stood in my way. I was pretty much circled by this group of people and I said alright, I'll do it.

We got into the gyms boxing ring and honestly, I was nervous. I had no idea who this person was or what his level of experience was. Then when it started it was clear he been doing something. The guy kicked me in the damn shin and that hurt.

So I figured ok this guy is hitting hard, I'm going to do that too. After some body kicks and some punches the guy called it quits. He walked out of the ring and so did I. I took off the gear and the guy from before said I had talent and he wanted to get me into fighting. That I could make money and to get started.

I had to pay him 800 dollars up front for fees and equipment. I told him I don't have that kind of money and basically left. I didn't let him finish talking.

Is this how this stuff works? Or was he full of it? I also am not going back to that place.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely none of that matches what you should expect from a legitimate coach or fight promoter. The guy sounds like a con artist at best, a gangster of some sort at worst. You should have nothing to do with someone like that.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does not matter true or not. If it was truth you would really not want to go with them anyway because there is no way that would end up positive experience for you.

First of all, 800 dollars up front for fees and equipment? That is not how business work. You always buy gear and get a receipt, in order to fight it is not like you need to hand over money without receiving anything. As for fees... what for? You were not gonna be fighting any match because if you were, they would tell you what fight it would be.

Finally, if they were actually tasked with finding talents they would introduce you slowly to secure that you are an investment before moving forward. They would never invest in some fool that would go into the ring with anyone without knowing any rules or even have a clue what he is doing there.

Finally, you pushed the bag and they saw that as talent. A red flag already there?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally, you pushed the bag and they saw that as talent. A red flag already there?

I have gotten much better with my punches since then. The bag moves yes, but it moves after a sudden strike, not a strike, then pushing into the bag like I used to do.

Absolutely none of that matches what you should expect from a legitimate coach or fight promoter. The guy sounds like a con artist at best, a gangster of some sort at worst. You should have nothing to do with someone like that.

Thanks. I am glad I made the right choice.

What is interesting is the guy I had to "fight" didn't even look like he wanted to be doing it. Leaves me to wonder why was he at all?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely con artist. They were trying to boost your self-esteem, make you think you could do well, get you to pay them, and disappear.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hate to be that guy but I thought your sifu told you not to get into stupid sparring matches with idiots in the gym. You said you couldn't walk away well what would those guys have done to you in a public area. Also by agreeing to fighting an unknown person that's very risky in itself because as you've stated in your own fights you gave consent to it happening or it could easily have been a set up to get you in trouble since you've probably got a bit of a rep of fighting idiots in gyms.

But honestly this story is a bit fishy to me. You seem to get into a lot of these situations that you seem to have to post here. Just saying

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hate to be that guy but I thought your sifu told you not to get into stupid sparring matches with idiots in the gym. You said you couldn't walk away well what would those guys have done to you in a public area. Also by agreeing to fighting an unknown person that's very risky in itself because as you've stated in your own fights you gave consent to it happening or it could easily have been a set up to get you in trouble since you've probably got a bit of a rep of fighting idiots in gyms.

But honestly this story is a bit fishy to me. You seem to get into a lot of these situations that you seem to have to post here. Just saying

I'm going to avoid situations like that by not going to that gym anymore. I tried the walking away part and it didn't work well.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw this same trick on an episode of, "Little House On The Prairie", with guest star Gene Labelle. :)

I've only seen a few episodes of that show when I was younger. It was way before my time so I missed out on it.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to avoid situations like that by not going to that gym anymore. I tried the walking away part and it didn't work well.
Like I said though they couldn't do anything in a public place with people around you just had to keep saying no until they got bored and realised it wouldn't work and walk off

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I said though they couldn't do anything in a public place with people around you just had to keep saying no until they got bored and realised it wouldn't work and walk off

Hindsight is 20/20. You're right.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to fight. Go do a legitimate promotion of some kind.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont think it was them blocking him from leaving. Instead I think he blocked himself. Perhaps he wanted to prove himself still, not leave when people thought low of him or his skills.

As such he was not really looking for that way out in honest.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. You're right.
I've got to reiterate my other point how do you keep getting in these situations I mean no offence but why would they pick you out over everyone else I'm sure hundreds of people use that gym who are bigger than you and are better fighters who look better on the bag so why pick you out over any of them. Not having a go here Im genuinely curious

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The guys name wasn't Charlie zelenoff was it?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got to reiterate my other point how do you keep getting in these situations I mean no offence but why would they pick you out over everyone else I'm sure hundreds of people use that gym who are bigger than you and are better fighters who look better on the bag so why pick you out over any of them. Not having a go here Im genuinely curious

I don't know to be honest. I was there for an hour, lifted weights and then for last 20 minutes I went there. There were others there but they weren't hitting the bag, they were working with kettle bell weights.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think it was them blocking him from leaving. Instead I think he blocked himself. Perhaps he wanted to prove himself still, not leave when people thought low of him or his skills.

As such he was not really looking for that way out in honest.
I love how you guys keep making assumptions about what happened. This could have been the case, but you don't know. We have no clue what might have happened, and if they were trying to con him, there is a large chance they would try to get him to do the 'fight'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions