Developing punching speed

Shims

White Belt
Reaction score
hey everybody, I've trained muay thai for about 4 years total, with some breaks, for the last year I haven't been training but been doing a lot of weight training, and I wanna go back to muay thai soon and compete, problem is that I have weak hands, always been my weak end, and now with the weight training I added up some weight and muscle and my punches got really slow and heavy, anyone got good technique to develop fast snapping punches? I got killer legs, especially for my weight, just 55kg, but my hands have always held me back and now I'm determined to get my boxing speed&technique to a proper level!

Rob2109

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A good way to speed up is shadow boxing with hand weights. Take it slow and make sure your technique is sound already otherwise you could risk injury. A usual weight is 5lb dumbells but experiment and find what you're comfortable with. Just a few rounds a day and you should see your speed increase very soon. Hope this helps.

OP
S

Shims

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advices, that's what I was thinking.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have to learn to consciously relax your biceps and shoulder muscles , tension in these areas will act as a brake.
When you are shadow boxing or hitting pads focus on relaxing these key muscle groups.

vankuen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You've got to rep it out. There's no other way but to punch alot, and remember that punches in muay aren't like that of boxing. Muay Thai punches will be more of a snap of the shoulder and have less "leg" in them as opposed to boxing.

Just stay relaxed while punching. Try the up and down bag. That tends to help for speed more than a heavy bag would because it makes you stay relaxed and quick in order to hit the damn thing.

OP
S

Shims

White Belt
Reaction score
Yea I think my shoulders are part of the problems, my traps&shoulders have a strong tendency to get tensed and stiff very quickly, nothing helps other then getting a proper massage which I can't really go to on a regular basis so most of the time it's very hard to get that area relaxed. oh and by up and down bag you mean those that jump back when they fall after you hit them?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
oh and by up and down bag you mean those that jump back when they fall after you hit them?

I'd hazard a guess that its probably a floor to ceiling ball , the inflatable ball that is tethered at the top and bottom with elastic cord to the floor and ceiling and can bounce back at unpredictable angles when it is hit.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd hazard a guess that its probably a floor to ceiling ball , the inflatable ball that is tethered at the top and bottom with elastic cord to the floor and ceiling and can bounce back at unpredictable angles when it is hit.

We're talking about a double end bag, right?

Any how, shadow boxing, shadow boxing with weight, rubber bands, and double end bag work and mitts can all help.

Nothing helps as much as learning to stay relaxed and improving mechanics.

Latest Discussions