Desperate city

Shorin Ryuu

Orange Belt
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
74
Reaction score
6
upnorthkyosa said:
For not evacuating?
Blame the victim.
No, I think a good point was brought up here. What culpability lies with those who refused to evacuate? This has nothing to do with the response afterwards. Everyone is trying to be helped regardless of who they are and what they did or did not do. But again, how much blame do we place on those who chose not to leave? Can we truly say they were "left behind"? The fact that Mayor Nagin sprung to action and declared a forced evacuation...last Tuesday...illustrates you still have a lot of these people left.
 

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
13,887
Reaction score
232
Location
Hawaii
Shorin Ryuu said:
No, I think a good point was brought up here. What culpability lies with those who refused to evacuate? This has nothing to do with the response afterwards. Everyone is trying to be helped regardless of who they are and what they did or did not do. But again, how much blame do we place on those who chose not to leave? Can we truly say they were "left behind"? The fact that Mayor Nagin sprung to action and declared a forced evacuation...last Tuesday...illustrates you still have a lot of these people left.
Some people that could have left, didn't, but that isn't everyone and it isn't even a large fraction. Where do you go if you have no where to go and no way to get there?

An evacuation plan that leaves the most vulnerable 20% behind is unconscionable.
 

Shorin Ryuu

Orange Belt
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
74
Reaction score
6
How do you know the numbers of those that refused to leave? I don't think I know them already. Or is that another one of your assumptions?So this raises the question, what efforts do you know of were made to evacuate people before hand? (See, I'm trying to orient the debate towards fact rather than accusation)
 

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
13,887
Reaction score
232
Location
Hawaii
Shorin Ryuu said:
How do you know the numbers of those that refused to leave? I don't think I know them already. Or is that another one of your assumptions?So this raises the question, what efforts do you know of were made to evacuate people before hand? (See, I'm trying to orient the debate towards fact rather than accusation)
I am assuming and if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I'll admit it. However, I have a gut feeling about it...I'm very curious to see some hard numbers on this.
 

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Joined
Mar 1, 2003
Messages
6,063
Reaction score
82
As I understand it from the reports I have seen, Evacuation plans for New Orleans have always anticipated that approximately 20% of the city would remain behind.

To clarify that issue, however, I would recommend looking to the Hurricane Pam study.
 

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Joined
Oct 13, 2001
Messages
15,888
Reaction score
473
Location
Michigan
michaeledward said:
As I understand it from the reports I have seen, Evacuation plans for New Orleans have always anticipated that approximately 20% of the city would remain behind.

To clarify that issue, however, I would recommend looking to the Hurricane Pam study.


If the population of the city is 80% African Americans (* number from this thread or other thread on this subject *), and 20% of the people stay behind, then this means that 16% of those who choose to stay or could not get out, would be African American. this means that for every 4 African Americans, there should have been someone of another race present.
 

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Joined
Mar 1, 2003
Messages
6,063
Reaction score
82
Rich Parsons said:
If the population of the city is 80% African Americans (* number from this thread or other thread on this subject *), and 20% of the people stay behind, then this means that 16% of those who choose to stay or could not get out, would be African American. this means that for every 4 African Americans, there should have been someone of another race present.
Only if we disregard the economics of the population.

What if, the 20% non African American's in the population, were also in the top quintile of the economic strata? Then, the non-African American's would have been most able to have the means and opportunity to evacuate.

When looking only to one measure, you can derive false assumptions.
 

Tgace

Grandmaster
Joined
Jul 31, 2003
Messages
7,766
Reaction score
409
If the city is 80% African American and only 20% are left, a significant amount of African Americans got out. The impression given out by some is that all the whites got out and all the blacks didnt.
 
Top