Desired gifts, undesired gifts, gifts you have no use for...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got 2 items I really wanted (a down blanket and a weather forecast system with an outdoor temperature and humidity sensor) and 1 item I have no use for whatsoever (Scene It 2 Movie Edition - DVD version). Now, I realize that I have little to complain about here - but I don't play board games; I didn't even know this item existed, and I have no idea what to do with it - even returning it is iffy, as I have no idea where it was purchased.

Now, I got the game from my step-father's son and daughter-in-law, whom I see every 2 or 3 years - so I'm not really surprised that they had no idea what to get me. I thanked them, and did my best to sound enthusiastic; I appreciate the thought - but I have no idea what to do with this game.

Did you get anything you really wanted? Anything you have no clue what to do with? What were they? And what do you do with unwanted gifts?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got 2 items I really wanted (a down blanket and a weather forecast system with an outdoor temperature and humidity sensor) and 1 item I have no use for whatsoever (Scene It 2 Movie Edition - DVD version). Now, I realize that I have little to complain about here - but I don't play board games; I didn't even know this item existed, and I have no idea what to do with it - even returning it is iffy, as I have no idea where it was purchased.

Now, I got the game from my step-father's son and daughter-in-law, whom I see every 2 or 3 years - so I'm not really surprised that they had no idea what to get me. I thanked them, and did my best to sound enthusiastic; I appreciate the thought - but I have no idea what to do with this game.

Did you get anything you really wanted? Anything you have no clue what to do with? What were they? And what do you do with unwanted gifts?
My grandmother died a few years ago. Upon checking her closets, we found a ton of presents exactly as she had unwrapped them, collecting for years. somewhere between humorous and sad...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suppose in a way I am lucky... since my parents died, I usually get a bottle of somthing and thats about it. (my brothers/sisters etc are all married and have failies of their own so everyone buys for their own family, and then we all draw 1 name to buy for outside the home) This year I actually got a bunch of stuff, and was supprised. (My friends must have felt sorry for me, lol)

My haul consisted of A bottle of Wine, and a Bottle of Microbrew from my co-workers, The Simpsons Movie on DVD from my Roommate, Some parts and ammo for my AK-47 from my best friend, And another friend Knitted me a hat like the one Dumb Donald wore in Fat Albert :)

I Less than Three My Hat:

2135231296_04439de889.jpg

My suggestion for things you dont want are Ebay, or Save them and Regift.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My haul consisted of A bottle of Wine, and a Bottle of Microbrew from my co-workers, The Simpsons Movie on DVD from my Roommate, Some parts and ammo for my AK-47 from my best friend, And another friend Knitted me a hat like the one Dumb Donald wore in Fat Albert :)
I Less than Three My Hat:
My suggestion for things you dont want are Ebay, or Save them and Regift.

So THAT's what Dumb Donald looks like. Hey hey hey! It's cool!

Generally my haul consisted of a long sleeve t-shirt, a flannel zip up jacket with hood and $25.00 bucks... cash, which immediately went to my jeep's gas tank because the prices WERE $2.76 a gallon... the cheapest it's been for a while.

Kacey, that Scene It game can be fun... if you're a big fan of the movies, and if you got a bunch of people (likewise fans) to play. Otherwise it'll collect dust. Take it to Walmart (they sell them there) and exchange it (as you don't have the receipt) for something you want... and if asked then say the DVD was scratched and skipped. ok, ok, it's an outright lie but hey a this time of year it's expected...

If they weren't so friggin easy to scam... Cash/gift cards from various stores are real good for the "I don't know what to get them" persons.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey, that Scene It game can be fun... if you're a big fan of the movies, and if you got a bunch of people (likewise fans) to play. Otherwise it'll collect dust. Take it to Walmart (they sell them there) and exchange it (as you don't have the receipt) for something you want... and if asked then say the DVD was scratched and skipped. ok, ok, it's an outright lie but hey a this time of year it's expected...

Well, it's still sealed, so that's not a problem... and I don't watch that many movies, most of my friends have kids and go to kid activities with them, and when they don't have the kids - being at someone's house playing that type of game is not what they want to do - but if Wal-Mart sells it, then I'd guess Target does too - and there're a lot more things I want at Target than Wal-Mart. Thanks!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I appreciate it when anybody gives me anything. And if not, there's always Freecycle.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I appreciate it - but if I don't do something with it, it will sit there and gather dust. I would rather not Freecycle it (although I've done that with other things) because it is brand new, and there are things I need from Target that I can get with the refund.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That hat reminds me of school in the summertime!

Just kidding, I like it!

I got a new pillow (the old down one was just too broken down), some new underwear that I won't eBay or Freecycle for a while and a fleece jacket. Lucky for me they are all keepers!

My favorite gifts are the ones the kids got, because the whole family is having fun with them. I can't tell you how many little Play-dough things I have made this morning while watching the Simpson's Movie. LOL!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got a bunch of normal gifts (books, wine chiller, candy etc)....but most importantly, I got a new Versaflex to try to improve my very unflexible legs....

And more importantly a signed copy of the Soo Bahk Do Gup Manuals. A few years ago the US Soo Bahk Do Federation combined all of their Gup manuals into one book, made it pretty with a hard cover, color pictures, etc, they printed 1000 and the founder of our style and his successor (his son, GM Hwang Kee, and KJN Hwang, H.C.) both signed the book. AWESOME book. My wife gets lots of points for this.

Maybe we should arrange a gift exchange for the stuff we don't want on here!

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
got the book analysis of shaolin chin na. i'm quite pleased. still have to go through it some more. there doesn't seem to be too much new stuff for me but definately worth it for that which i discovered since yesterday. im sure ill still find much more over time.

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Liked everything I got this Christmas :) No regifting this year! Camping equipment, frying pan, and gift cards...yay!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I got to go to my Brothers and spend time with my Niece and Nephew. We played Guitar Hero III and then II. I enjoyed a nice home cooked meal and family.

Last night I spent it with friends watching Monday Night Football and afterwards the movie "SuperBad". We had lots fo fun.

The Big one I got was my Friend who was in ICU and then Step Down for Cat Scratch Disease (* I know this surprised me as well and the Infectous Disease Doctor who diagnosed it was great. *) was able to come home the other day. He and his wife spent a nice quite day by themselves (* No doctors and nurses and having people coming and going through their house *). He has a long time to go with physical therapy.

I really did not get any "gifts" in the normal sense this year. But I was able to get things that made me happy. :)

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For unwanted/non-needed gifts I donate them (if appropriate) to the local women/children’s shelter or sometimes just leave them at a near by church. The woman’s shelter is one where women go to helping them and their children escape abuse situations and they always are grateful for any help given no matter the season. It is kind of sad that they always seem very busy this time of year. The joy of giving is a great reward and lots of fun!

Brian King

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a parent. There is no gift that may be given away, traded, or recycled.

My ten-year-old son gave me a five-pound glass turtle It will sit on the mantle until he is old enough for me to give it to his children.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As usual, my sister-in-law sent me gifts so inappropriate as to be insulting. Most of what she sent was obviously bought at yard sales.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got a new coffee press, a cookbook, and a crapload of B&N gift cards. Plus, my wife and I didn't get each other any gifts so we can afford a new flat-panel TV. The amazing thing about that is it was her idea.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got season one and two of Bones....

Latest Discussions