Demonstration of effects from a strike to carotid sinus (St - 9) - Video

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I found this video on the net a while ago. It is a video of a breif fight that was captured on film by a news organization. The man who came out on top is a TSD expert. In this video, the man strikes a point that we refer to in class as Stomach - 9. This point lies right on top of the carotid sinus. When it is struck at an up and in angle, it can cause KO by tricking the brain into reading that there is high blood pressure in the brain...which triggers a rapid loss of blood pressure from the heart. This is akin to feignting.

This strike was hard enough to be deadly and the other man is lucky he walked away. Anyways, post your thoughts on this and any questions you might have.

upnorthkyosa

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
aww, that's bull, we all know pressure points don't work LOL!!!! :rolleyes:

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Uhhh...the video said 'when the pimp attacks..' is it just me or did someone else notice he never actually did anything.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
This is akin to feignting.

um, perhaps fainting would be better... unless you think the pimp was trying to fool the "karate" guy :)

This strike was hard enough to be deadly and the other man is lucky he walked away. Anyways, post your thoughts on this and any questions you might have.

thanks for sharing, was quite interesting... impressing strike, though not what I'd consider that worthy of an opponent... just be happy Mr Pimp was not carrying a gun :)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think there is more backstory to this altercation. And I don't think that he knew that he was striking a vital point that hard. If that guy wouldn't have gotten back up, there would have been big trouble for Mr. Karate Expert.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I found this video on the net a while ago. It is a video of a breif fight that was captured on film by a news organization. The man who came out on top is a TSD expert. In this video, the man strikes a point that we refer to in class as Stomach - 9. This point lies right on top of the carotid sinus. When it is struck at an up and in angle, it can cause KO by tricking the brain into reading that there is high blood pressure in the brain...which triggers a rapid loss of blood pressure from the heart. This is akin to feignting.

upnorthkyosa
-You got all that from that short clip from that far away???

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-You got all that from that short clip from that far away???

I could be wrong...and if I am, I'm okay with that. It's just my opinion, just my interpretation...FWIW. From my POV, it looks like the strike hit right on the carotid sinus. I've posted this file as a video file so that people could go through it frame by frame and look...like I did.

BlackSheep

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All I saw was a drunk falling down when he was ***** slapped.

Nothing more can be determined from this video.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:

You may be right. There may be many ways to interpret this video. However, all of the signs that someone has really been knocked unconscious were also present. The part of the body that was struck is commonly known to cause unconsciousness when struck. This is a medically proven fact.

BlackSheep

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The part of the body that was struck is commonly known to cause unconsciousness when struck. This is a medically proven fact.
A medically proven fact!

How about referencing that? A link to a reputable medical site would be a nice start.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
A medically proven fact!

How about referencing that? A link to a reputable medical site would be a nice start.

How about showing some respect to an instructor in his hosted forum?

What makes you think you deserve a response?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
A medically proven fact!

How about medical clinical information?

That location also happens to be the home of the carotid sinus; contacting the carotid sinus or massaging the carotid bulb has an immediate effect on the sympathetic tone in the body, such that your ER doc may use this as an evaluation of neurologic integrity. Carotid sinus massage is also used by the medical community to lower blood pressure with patients who emergently need it down, now. Massaging the carotid sinus lowers blood pressure to such a point that subjects are invited to remain lying down, or get up very slowly as they are apt to pass out from orthostatic hypotension differences in BP.

What do you suppose whacking that little critter does to you, if rubbing it nicey-nice can make you pass out?

Regards,

Dave

PS -- insolence is often only rudeness, thinly disguised as confrontation in the name of truth.

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
How about showing some respect to an instructor in his hosted forum?

What makes you think you deserve a response?
-How is asking for a reference direspectful???

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My teacher taught at a college campus that had a very strong medical program. There were two medical doctors with Phds that my teacher taught and they seemed to have no problem with the explanation they heard. Google has plenty of info on this. I'll see if I can find a journal article...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:

Perhaps it's not what was asked for as much as it is how it was asked for.

Do you comprehend the difference between saying:

A medically proven fact!

... and ...

That's an interesting statement. Could you please provide a medical reference for it?

One is arrogant, the other is polite. If you can comprehend that, then you can comprehend how other people perceive you. Sometimes, how other people perceive you is important.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:

Tone is everyting. The tone of your request came accross the acreen as abrupt and challenging, and not as a respectful request for back up information.

Think about the knowledge base you have accumulated in life. Got references in your back pocket or on the tip of your tongue to support every little thing you know or believe?

I had to learn about the carotid bulb thing in Chiropractic college; as part of EMT training; and again for other reasons. I could take a day to go to my storage space, dig out the text that accompanied the coursework, look in the back for the references, then go to the science library at the nearest university with a med school in it to try and find the original source material so I could post a reference for you. But why? Is that the best use of my day, just so I can say, "nyah-nyah, I told you so?".

No. It's a petty request, which if thought out with any respect for the other party, would not have been made, in light of the ridiculous path necessary for a response. Not having a snappy reference for you to look up, which you wouldn't do anyway, don't make it not so. The only people who would have any reasonable expectation around hunting down a reference would be authors of a paper or book on the anatomy, physiology, examination and clinical relevance of the critter in question. Do you happen to be writing a medical textbook, that we could help you by providing a citation which you otherwise cannot locate?

Regards,

Dave

BlackSheep

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That video is not proof of “St-9” being used to knock someone out!

Where is the reputable medical source stating that “St-9” can be used to knock someone out in a fight?

Show me the proof and I’ll believe. Until then I’ll remain skeptical.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:

It's not...and I think it go a long way in smoothing over some incredulousness. I think some skepticism regarding this stuff is healthy.

People may get the impression of rudeness from this post...

There certainly may be more interpretations of the video. Yours simply can't be the only one.

It all depends on one's POV, how closely one observed the evidence, and ones background knowledge regarding this phenomenon. Keeping that in mind, all I ask is that you keep an open mind to other interpretations.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BlackSheep said:
That video is not proof of “St-9” being used to knock someone out!

Where is the reputable medical source stating that “St-9” can be used to knock someone out in a fight?

Show me the proof and I’ll believe. Until then I’ll remain skeptical.

These articles support the points that Dr. Dave and I have made.

http://ajpheart.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/265/3/H918
http://intl-ajpheart.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/257/5/H1389

They are both from reputable sources.

With that being said, if this point can be lightly massaged to lower blood pressure to the brain and cause unconsciousness, I think that it is perfectly reasonable to expect that when this point is struck, it would have the same or far greater effect.

upnorthkyosa

Latest Discussions