Okinawan Versions of Tang Soo Do Hyung

Bertrand

White Belt
Reaction score
Pinan / Pyung Ahn forms

Beside that Cho dan and E Dan are inverted, I were already aware that the forms were very diffrent. It is to remember that Shotokan karate use the same numbers than TSD.

The guy doing them is very fast and the moves seams strong but he barely use the hips. Maybe that's why he is so swift. But I was teached to use the hips and the body as much as the arms and legs. Also, I am teach to keep the head level as much as possible. When throwing a spear hand we are in front stance when that guy is standing.

Well I won't detail every diffrences. I know that Anjo Itosu was from Okinawa and that he is the author of the pinan forms. The Tang Soo Do style teachs them differently and the reason of these differences is backed with a reasoning that I can understand. By keeping the head level, with the legs bent as much as possible, we keep the initiative of moves during a fight. When throwing a spear hand in front stance, the throw is more powerful than standing straigh legs. The hand is tilted to penetrate between the ribs instead of straight vertically (maybe the target is the solar plexus, then). The use of the hips also gives more power than just the arm or the legs, by adding the momentum of the body. Maybe the moves a slow down as such, though.

But some differences are too big to be a difference of philosophy in the kicks or punchs. In the begining of the Okinawa style pinan chodan/Pyung Ahn e Dan after the blocks is clearly a punch in fighting stance while the one I know is a side punch in Horse stance. At the end the middle block open hand is missing after the low block, like in shotokan. Does Hwan Kee felt the block-and-chop more efficient?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bertrand said:
Beside that Cho dan and E Dan are inverted, I were already aware that the forms were very diffrent. It is to remember that Shotokan karate use the same numbers than TSD.

Shotokan is one of the "mother arts" for TSD.

The guy doing them is very fast and the moves seams strong but he barely use the hips. Maybe that's why he is so swift. But I was teached to use the hips and the body as much as the arms and legs. Also, I am teach to keep the head level as much as possible. When throwing a spear hand we are in front stance when that guy is standing.

The person performing the form is use hip rotation, its just very quick and minimized. At high levels this is exactly what it should look like. Also, the Okinawan arts do not have the deep stances of TSD. They feel that those stances are only for show. This about how the more upright stance changes the application for the "spearhand".

Well I won't detail every diffrences. I know that Anjo Itosu was from Okinawa and that he is the author of the pinan forms. The Tang Soo Do style teachs them differently and the reason of these differences is backed with a reasoning that I can understand. By keeping the head level, with the legs bent as much as possible, we keep the initiative of moves during a fight. When throwing a spear hand in front stance, the throw is more powerful than standing straigh legs. The hand is tilted to penetrate between the ribs instead of straight vertically (maybe the target is the solar plexus, then). The use of the hips also gives more power than just the arm or the legs, by adding the momentum of the body. Maybe the moves a slow down as such, though.

Think for a moment about the actual physics of ramming your fingers into the center of someones mass. Even with conditioning, this is a very risky manuever because one can easily mess up and break ones fingers. When you change the stance to something more upright, the application changes. The spearhand followed by the turn to the rear becomes something far more practical.

But some differences are too big to be a difference of philosophy in the kicks or punchs. In the begining of the Okinawa style pinan chodan/Pyung Ahn e Dan after the blocks is clearly a punch in fighting stance while the one I know is a side punch in Horse stance. At the end the middle block open hand is missing after the low block, like in shotokan. Does Hwan Kee felt the block-and-chop more efficient?

One of the most frustrating things about kata is that they are often changed for aesthetic reasons rather then anything practical. Sure, the knifehand has many cool applications, but the simple directness of the Okinawan version really leaves no doubt as to what someone is actually doing. This is why I feel it is important to go back to the roots in order to truly and fully understand this stuff.