Deflecting an uppercut?!

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've hit a dilemma. I can't seem to figure out how one would deflect or block an uppercut with any known sau. Maybe I'm on to something? Maybe I'm missing something? I've thought about using a low laan sau, but learned that still wouldn't work.

Please help.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might want to look at how boxers counter uppercuts. It won't be exactly the way that Wing Chun does it. It will certainly be a good place to start.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd think it also depends on the intended target of the uppercut. Is it a body shot to the gut, floating ribs, solar plexus? Is it an uppercut to the jaw line? The angle of the uppercut will vary depending on that target and will require potentially different techniques (or variations of a single technique) to deflect/counter the punch.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've hit a dilemma. I can't seem to figure out how one would deflect or block an uppercut with any known sau. Maybe I'm on to something? Maybe I'm missing something? I've thought about using a low laan sau, but learned that still wouldn't work.

Please help.

Position makes a difference but try Chum Sao. Of course body positioning is just as important as the elbow position.

Danny T

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If only my Cantonese was better! I cann't remember what the name of the technique is, but it is in Sui Nim Tao, after the initial sequince (where you're rolling Tan Sao/Win Sao). The technique I'm talking about is the down-block. Of course, you may need to add a shift off centerline (as in Chum Kyu). Then again, you could also ask your Sifu, the upper cut is a technique in Wing Chun, so your Sifu probably knows how to defend against one.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Punch them in the face.

What I've learned in Wing Chun is to always attack. If you see your opponent move stick them, especially if they are dropping their guard to throw a punch.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Very tough question. The problem is real uppercuts aren't thrown from a distance, making them defectable, as most teach them. They are in tight shots, where the gap is closed head to head, body to body. Also, they come off of a combination of punches that maove you out of or rather into position for their use. As noted above, the targets change. If, as also noted above, you can stick from the opening, avoiding the distance closing--that's the best option. After that, in close, I would agree with a Boxing defense. Your body should be turtled at that range anyway. It's a natural reaction, which also makes parrying them hard (Impossible???)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Please help.
get off the line of attack.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your body should be turtled at that range anyway. It's a natural reaction, which also makes parrying them hard (Impossible???)

He's a Wing Chun player, that's the range he's supposed to be most comfortable with.

melry88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would want to first stress that you will have to find what would work for you, but I have been enjoying the use of a Jom Sao or Dai Bong Sao for low attacks.

Good luck finding what works for you....

Happy New Year all!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Please help.
In our group we train a lot with uppercuts and body punches. After all, the uppercut to the jaw/face is a basic Chum Kiu technique. Your Si-Fu should be helping you with this since words are inadequate to answer your problem. You need to see and feel what is involved, from both sides of the exchange. In a general sense, however I will hazard this: at moderately close, punching range, remember that a straight line beats a circle, and an attack is always your best defense. Beat the curved uppercut with a straightline punch to your opponents face or chest. As you move in very close (my favorite range) keep your spine erect and head back--forget that "turtle" stuff. If you are keeping your elbows in position and sticking to your opponents bridges, an uppercut isn't your problem. Be more aware of tight hooks, elbows and body punches. Advanced Chi-Sau shows you how to deal with this. The uppercut usually comes after a high straight strike is converted into a "neck-pulling hand" yanking your face down into the uppercutting fist. Again the simplest response is a good straight punch to nullify the "neck pulling hand". Always go the simplest route! I hope that helps.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand that-thanks for the help. But, staying at the range when a real uppercut comes will make you very uncomfortable. Train however you want to.

Yah, but he should be training for that range, and if he "turtles", he'll get the day lights beat out of him.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Yah, but he should be training for that range, and if he "turtles", he'll get the day lights beat out of him.

Unfortunately, real uppercuts don't come at that range. As for turtling, it's a natural reaction that comes about at that range. Good thing too, not doing so will get the crap beat of you, especially if you stay at the range you're talking about when in a real fight, a real uppercut comes about the way that they do.
icon12.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for turtling, it's a natural reaction that comes about at that range.

And you do every one of your body's natural reactions? Do you retreat when an opponent comes at you? Do you look away when you punch? Do you dive into your opponent fists flying, with no real strategy? NO! Some of your bodys reactions require out-training.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out when you work out with a boxer.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out when you work out with a boxer.
In my case that will be tomorrow at 10am. Normally I'd just go after him with a stick, but this particular boxer is also a master level eskrimador. He's wicked fast with blades too. And his off-lining is hell on Wing Chun. If I attack with a straight-line blitz, it's all over...for me, that is. Wing Chun/Tsun is good, but so's a lot of other stuff. That's why I train with this guy. Maybe he can help with this uppercut thing.--Mabuhay!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
That should be a lot of fun. If you ever film it it would be fascinating to watch.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are various ways of dealing with an uppercutt. My main way is just to fak sao wherever the gap is.
Other people use low bong sao to deflect the move
Some use guan sao to block the strike

You shouldn't really be letting your opponent get into a position where he can use a good uppercutt (ie take away his leverage, or take control if his arms, etc)

Latest Discussions