Define your style of Karate

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does the strong geometric shape of spheres (and the lesser circles) also aid in deflection at all angles or is this more representative of other patterns?
I'm not big on the lesser circles, because, they are like red herrings; they give you power, but the subtract from your speed. :)

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks TOD, I'll look it up.

O Saru

White Belt
Reaction score
O'Saru, thanks for the description, but I think you've fallen into the training trap.

Your training sounds great, but I know nothing about how your karate style fights; what principles you learn and how those principles come together to win against opponent's?

Sorry, I thought it was implied. Our fighting uses enbu lines (North, South, East, West, NW, NE, SW, SE) to defend against an attack. This would depend on where the opponent is, how much bigger or smaller he/she is, and what a student is comfortable with in meeting with an attack.

We have no such thing as a block. Uke translates most commonly as "Reception" or "Someone who receives". I don't allow the word "block." I believe it pigeon-holes students in to thinking that something is only defensive. All offensive techniques can be defensive and visa versa.

Our styles also has grappling techniques (pulled from kata) that we practice often. This is very useful to weaker students that cannot do much damage to a big, strong opponent.

Every student spars differently, using these philosophies. We start with tournament rules, then strip them away in to more MMA-style rules as they progress. Advanced students have no rules except biting, eye gouging, and groin contact. Those techniques are allowed, but without physical contact. We don't like to mame each other. It slows down training.

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That sounds like a very comprehensive training programme. Are the embu lines a Goju thing or kempo?

I presume you use them by taking angles to avoid the power line of the enemy's attack?

Are there specific areas of each style that you feel work well together?

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Obviously you are talking to the wall behind me rather than trying to have a conversation so I`ll leave this thread now and leave you two to continue what seems like an absolutely facinating discussion and exchange of facts and very well though out analysis of the matters at hand. Bye
bye2.gif

Translation: "damn, he's right. But I can't say that after being so dismissive, so let me bail out and pretend I'm too good to debate.

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not big on the lesser circles, because, they are like red herrings; they give you power, but the subtract from your speed. :)

Thanks TOD, but I just can't picture it. It really must be too advanced!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Translation: "damn, he's right. But I can't say that after being so dismissive, so let me bail out and pretend I'm too good to debate.

Translation: I am a lonely troll now that no one wants to entertain me boohoo!!
Smiley-Crying.gif

Say hello to my ignore list. :yawn:

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Because starting a thread about the technical and tactical elements of different ma styles is serious trolling.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because starting a thread about the technical and tactical elements of different ma styles is serious trolling.

It may or may not, I don't know but we have had a lot of faux serious posters who turned out to be trolling or just wanted to post how good BJJ is over everything else. :)

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It may or may not, I don't know but we have had a lot of faux serious posters who turned out to be trolling or just wanted to post how good BJJ is over everything else. :)

But.BJJ is the greatest! I once defeated a whole ninja army on my back. No kata could achieve that.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So my question is, without reference to training, can.you please define how you move, how that movement fits into a fight and what your overall plan for victory is - as defined by your karate style.

Not sure if this answer fits but I'll try.
My aim is to survive any physical confrontation by stopping an opponent even if it means maiming, crippling, or killing ( if my life or the life of my family is immanent)
If talking gets me out of the situation great.
I try to move in ways as to not get hurt.
My overall plan for victory depends on the situation at hand and I am always learning and evolving

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TS, thanks for giving the thread topic a go!

I was thinking more along the lines of, what does your ma style do? How does Goju/shito/emei bagua (whatever you study), fight and how do the technical details you are taught fit into that?

One of the things I think has become the norm in ma's is the idea of throwing techniques together to fight. But arts exist to teach specific methods of fighting and have technical details that support those methods.

I know what they are in the arts I study, but what are they in your arts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I train MMA as well my style is Wado Ryu, which says it all, I love it, it's deep, effective and everything I need.

OP
D

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard Wado Ryu has a strong focus on evasion, but fights closer to the opponent than Shotokan with more slipping type evasions.

Is this light footwork done to enable the jujitsu locking aspects of the style or is it just in support traditional karate strikes?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll try again:
We try to use specific targeting of certain parts of the body when we strike rather than just hitting a larger area of the body surface. We are not able to use the dislocations we instruct but we can immolate them to a degree in practice. Groin strikes are allowed but with some control where as eye strikes are discouraged but emulated within a safe distance or striking about the eyes.
Our foot work is usually to the side and we are constantly moving but a straight north/ south attack is also used.
Our weapons are not padded in practice but we do try to use some control and dulled blades are used with beginners.
We do have forms and at times the students are told to find the openings for attacks that are within a certain form and only use techniques from that form. This I feel gives the student a better understanding of the form.
What we instruct for self defensive maneuvers we except to see in sparring ( with control of course)

Latest Discussions