Defense From A Seated Position

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all of our Kenpo techniques are done from a standing position. However, an attack will not always happen when we're standing. Nothing says that we can't get attacked while sitting.

How many practice defensive moves from a seated position? If so, what types of attacks do you cover and what does the defense consist of?

Mike

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are many Taiho-Jitsu techniques that do cover a "seated position" situation and they work well for mass transite situations. I have incorporated most of these into my Kenpo system's "optional" techniques.
These type of techniques are very unique, unlike Kodokan Judo and most of the other Ju-Jitsu systems the footwork is either absent or are one of the secondary application's instead of the primary application.
All good stuff.
:ultracool

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gift in Return works great from a seated position!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many practice defensive moves from a seated position? If so, what types of attacks do you cover and what does the defense consist of?

Is is NOT practiced enough..My wife travels alot, we have gone over defenses from a seated postion many times..Releases from grabs that incorporate pressure point applicatiions and strikes to whatever target is offered..

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Who's got time to sit?

I have to believe that most of them can be done starting in a seated position, if your seated in a chair and not in the middle of a crowded picnic table. I think you'd have to propel yourself up onto your feet where possible.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've worked defense from a seated position many times in my aikido school. Most of our locks work even better when seated because you're more "earthed" in that position than standing. I will admit, though, that I've found myself from time to time using some of the little bit of kempo that I remember from my days of studying that art.

dragonswordkata

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was really glad to see this topic mentioned. I have a good friend who is in a wheelchair, and I work with several other folks also in wheelchairs. These people can be quicker victims since they are typicaly see as 'weak' and easy targets by the yahoo's of our society.

If you folks could please post more techs that you have found works I would be very greatful to see.
thank you

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread continuing, as it's a very good subject. The one thing that hasn't been brought up yet is, whether we're talking about someone who is seated but fully abled (has the use of her legs and feet), or someone who is disabled in legs or feet. The former has more options due to push/pull and locking techniques on opponent's legs using one's own legs; the leg/foot-disabled person also has many options, but must be more focused on hand and arm techs.

Either way, though, many, many good defenses. Maybe we should start a catalog of techniques (or whatever it might be properly called in these high-tech times :D). It would be a worthwhile project, maybe even worthy of sticky status, or Martialpedia inclusion? Whatever, might be fun, and could help someone. Unless it's been done and I missed it. :idunno:

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the things I enjoy while ‘working’ seated in chairs or on benches is the unique ability to be able to use both legs and both arms at the same time and not having to consent to the laws of gravity which I always obey or levitate which I am unable to accomplish. Having only done a very little work from a wheelchair perspective I did learn that there are a few hard areas of the chair (arm and foot rests and handles in the back of it) that can be used with surprise and effect.

Can across this article on the Inosanto site
http://inosanto.com/mawd/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=35 very interesting first hand account on training while disabled.

Carol posted a video that I found interesting for work from a wheelchair.
http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52034

Brian King

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've got an old martial arts magazine circa 1989, somewhere, that has a sequence on chair defenses and or sitting positions. I'll get back to you later...

Dave

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The whole idea of whether you have use of the legs is of interest to me. What principles and concepts can be employed if you are parapalegic or an amputee? How are they adjusted? For example Bow of Compulsion, which may still be easily utilized, as compared to Five Swords, which would require a suppressing or pinning action, if the legs cannot be utilized.

I guess I have incorporated seated techniques, but not explored those where your lower extremities cannot function, and if in a wheelchair, note that you are not immobile. Years of experience must give you some insight into how the chair itself may become either part of your motion or a weapon itself. A very interesting topic and thought provoking.

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is may not be exactly what you asked us, but I thought it was interesting nevertheless. The article is called Don't be caught off guard" by John Earl Maberry, American Karate magazine, March 1989 . It goes over kneeling, getting attacked from a rear position laying down, etc. It also says more or less what you said, "according to the a university study the average human being spends at least 75% of his or her time laying down, sitting, leaning, or bending,"
But hey, I take Kenpo, and you gave me something to think about.

Dave