Defense for yourself vs. defense for others

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of the story I heard about a Walmart employee who went into the parking lot to stop a woman from being attacked...prevented it...and then got fired!

I probably would've gotten fired too.

If I see someone being assaulted, and there's something I can do about it, I will. The question is just what level of intervention is required which of course will depend on the scenario.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I probably would've gotten fired too.

If I see someone being assaulted, and there's something I can do about it, I will. The question is just what level of intervention is required which of course will depend on the scenario.

I think he feared her life was in danger, and a 911 call would have produced a response that was too slow. It's been a long time since I heard about it, so the details aren't very clear anymore.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's like someone saying something is pasta and then another person saying "No, it's macaroni".
Not to derail, but Mandarin is Chinese.
That is correct, however it is not correct for people to say they don't understand the film because they "Don't speak Chinese". If you speak Cantonese, then you still speak Chinese, but can't understand the film as it is in Mandarin.

So it is important to make the distinction that you can't understand the film "as you don't speak Mandarin". Like ironbear says, just calling it calling it Chinese sounds ignorant and ill-informed.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That is correct, however it is not correct for people to say they don't understand the film because they "Don't speak Chinese". If you speak Cantonese, then you still speak Chinese, but can't understand the film as it is in Mandarin.

So it is important to make the distinction that you can't understand the film "as you don't speak Mandarin". Like ironbear says, just calling it calling it Chinese sounds ignorant and ill-informed.
if we're picking nits, it actually is correct to say one doesn't understand the film because he or she "doesn't speak Chinese." It would not be more correct to say you don't speak Cantonese. That is being more specific, not being more correct. The two aren't synonymous.

It's interesting to me how things that aren't ignorant or ill-informed can sound so, depending upon our own views and opinions.

Latest Discussions