Defense and attack around a neck hold : Wing Chun Strasbourg

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My French is pretty weak and my Wing Chun experience was brief, but one thing I like is how the man on the left in the first video taps the hand of his opponent before entering--something we will do in the Filipino arts but I rarely see elsewhere. My WC teacher would do that in a more formal way--actually pushing in on the arm to seek resistance to then work with--but in the FMA we'll slap at the hand like that and then move in. (I've also seen it in JKD.) It's a little thing but for me it works very well!

OP
P

poulperadieux

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My French is pretty weak and my Wing Chun experience was brief, but one thing I like is how the man on the left in the first video taps the hand of his opponent before entering--something we will do in the Filipino arts but I rarely see elsewhere. My WC teacher would do that in a more formal way--actually pushing in on the arm to seek resistance to then work with--but in the FMA we'll slap at the hand like that and then move in. (I've also seen it in JKD.) It's a little thing but for me it works very well!

Yeah, me on the left,

A friend on facebook said it looked like silat!

Actually, this move is in the wooden dummy.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Silat and the FMA have many deep similarities, but I also see many similarities between WC and the FMA on the trapping side of things.

OP
P

poulperadieux

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Silat and the FMA have many deep similarities, but I also see many similarities between WC and the FMA on the trapping side of things.

Of course, really easy to cross train in these arts, and a must do.

"Qui n'a jamais appris de langue étrangère ne connait pas sa propre langue" Goethe.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The neck-pulling hand from the wooden dummy form is one of my favourite techniques , when used in conjunction with an elbow strike or knee strike it can be a very powerful move.

It is one of those techniques that can only be performed in its proper ballistic fashion on the wooden dummy , much too dangerous to do it in its true form on a live partner.
In my lineage we perform it with a Tan Sau pierce to the side of the neck first.

A lot of people might not be aware that the neck-pulling hand is in actual fact a very devastating strike in it's own right , not just a grab around the neck.

In our lineage after our initial pierce to the side of the neck , the hand keeps going slightly past the neck and then the arm is rapidly retracted with a slightly cup shaped palm strike to the the back of the neck close to the occipital lobe.
Just this movement alone done with the proper relaxed whipping action can result in a knockout or worse , even without any other supplementary strike.

Latest Discussions