Declining standards? Or resisting change?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The schools around here seem to put a lot of importance on lineage. A couple years ago my instructor moved away and the schools I called at that time were pretty sure I'd have to relearn my form.

Yeah, you'd have to learn their forms, but since WC has comparatively short forms and there's probably only minor differences (honestly speaking) you might actually enjoy learning new variations. It really depends on the instructor. My old association basically held that their version was right and everybody else was wrong, so you started over at the beginning. But get real. If you get a guy that's already pretty good, are you going to knock him back to step 1, or work out a program that helps him efficiently transition to your lineage?

Yeah, I know a former kung fu brother of mine who insists that everybody starts over from scratch. I disagree. Sure, I make everybody learn our drills and curriculum, but I will also absolutely respect their experience and build on it. In fact, I'd probably take them aside from time to time and pick their brains to see what I could learn about their lineage. I'm funny that way.

Now if you can't stay with your current instructor, and can't find another WC instructor who will help you along, then try something else that interests you. Personally, I've really enjoyed my time in Escrima. Not your cup of tea? How about BJJ? I regret not training in grappling when I was younger. Also, HEMA looks fun to me. The world today has so much cool stuff! Good luck and keep us posted. :)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
This place is a great resource. Where are you located? One of us may be able to point you in a good direction

OP
A

Anuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This place is a great resource. Where are you located? One of us may be able to point you in a good direction

I am in Denver. I have decided to continue attending regularly for the duration of my contract, and choose my best coarse of action then. Hopefully my ill feelings will subside by then.

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am in Denver. I have decided to continue attending regularly for the duration of my contract, and choose my best coarse of action then. Hopefully my ill feelings will subside by then.
JKD Colorado is pretty good group, if at the end of your contract you feel the same way.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've decided it may just be best to remove myself from the situation and find a new place to train. I don't want to be bitter anymore, and I only have a few months left on my contract anyway.
Sounds reasonable if you're not happy there. MA should be something you enjoy. I hope you find someplace that meets your needs.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Exactly correct. I used to think highly of black belts as level of skill in the past but now they have no meaning to me. I don't know how to take it when people say that they are a black belt, because a black belt has no meaning for me in terms of black belt = skill level. When people tell me this, I don't know if I should be happy for them or that it's a big achievement for them. I'm so glad that my school didn't bend to the belted system.
For the most part, I feel the same. I've seen black belts at some schools that are barely competent, and I've seen much lower belts at other schools who are highly skilled. If someone tells me they're a black belt, I understand that to mean "I've demonstrated a certain proficiency in the basic techniques and movements for my art".
Our school looks at it that you are not really a true student until you reach shodan, at which point you finally have mastered the basics enough that you are able to start learning the techniques properly. Prior to that, you are basically trying out to become a "student". (I'm oversimplifying a bit, but I think this is a healthy attitude).

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your response and questions. After seeing it all layed out in writing, I am starting to feel a bit childish. You guys have reminded me that I am not free of ego, and I should focus inwardly.
Don't beat yourself up, we all go through the same thing one way or another. All the best with your training.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

Have a former Sihing down in Colrado Springs who is looking for partners and I have heard of a Sifu Shien who had a good rep for Mizhong Quan - you've got options man. Best of luck.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
My old association basically held that their version was right and everybody else was wrong, so you started over at the beginning. But get real. If you get a guy that's already pretty good, are you going to knock him back to step 1, or work out a program that helps him efficiently transition to your lineage?

Building on someone's experience sounds nice, but that's how things get muddled between different systems.

The most efficient way to transition someone to your new lineage is to build in them an understanding of the entire system from the ground up. This way no assumptions are made and blanks filled in on one's own with their previous interpretations that need to be realized and undone later on, because unwittingly mixing contradicting ideas may very likely result in a mess that doesn't work and it will be difficult to determine why exactly it fails if one doesn't have a clear understanding of one system from the ground up.

If their previous training has made them more coordinated, athletic, and a faster learner of these things, it probably won't take very long to get them on the right track according to your system. Gotta look at the goal in the long run, not just whether or not you're showing respect to someone's previous experience by letting them jump in the middle. I've seen that lead nowhere too many times.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The most efficient way to transition someone to your new lineage is to build in them an understanding of the entire system from the ground up.

Yeah, that's how it was for me when I switched lineages back in 1980. And it was necessary since there were significant differences in things as fundamental as stance, steps and structure.

On the other hand, the instructor I referred to in a previous post took one of our former students and made him start over even though we all come from the same lineage but split away to form a different association.

In fact the student who had to start over had been tested by the same master level instructor that had taught advanced seminars at the other guy's school up until the organizational split. In other words the student was bearing the brunt of another stupid Wing Chun political tiff.

I guess I would have to look at previous experience on a case by case basis.