Reaction score
Trinity Karate for Christ – Christian Kempo,
who we are;

Senior Instructor (SIFU) Christopher Stewart
Head Instructor - Advisor (SIGUNG) Clark D. Cole
Junior Instructor - Advisor (SIFU) Jack D. Cole

Siha Katrina Paglinawan
Sihing Albert Hung

We use the Chinese designations on a daily basis, each persons rank is less important than when they joined the family of Kempo.

Our Lineage/s,
American Kenpo - Ed Parker - Pat Salantri – Clark Cole – Chris Stewart
Shaolin Kempo – Nick Cerio – Fred Villarri – Charles Matterra – Greg Jones – Chris Stewart
Christian Kempo – Chris Stewart

What we teach,
54 core basic techniques through 1st black belt.
Short and Long Form.
17 Sets (Organized Basics)

Our prime training method is;

Break Stance and Contact Resistance methods.
Break Stance is motion based ground up Kenpo Karate.
"Hips control feet, feet control hands, elbows aim strikes and knees aim kicks".
Contact Resistance is a hands on method of training that relies on realistic and focused attacks that highlight the strengths and weaknesses of your techniques and the basics within them. Hot Hands served here!

If you want to see how I approach Kempo, go to you tube and type in Christian Kempo.

For more information please visit our website: www.trinitykarateforchrist.com

Christian Kempo Taught Here,
Chris Stewart S.I. (Christian Kempo)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trinity Karate for Christ – Christian Kempo,
who we are;

Senior Instructor (SIFU) Christopher Stewart
Head Instructor - Advisor (SIGUNG) Clark D. Cole
Junior Instructor - Advisor (SIFU) Jack D. Cole

Siha Katrina Paglinawan
Sihing Albert Hung

We use the Chinese designations on a daily basis, each persons rank is less important than when they joined the family of Kempo.

Our Lineage/s,
American Kenpo - Ed Parker - Pat Salantri – Clark Cole – Chris Stewart
Shaolin Kempo – Nick Cerio – Fred Villarri – Charles Matterra – Greg Jones – Chris Stewart
Christian Kempo – Chris Stewart

What we teach,
54 core basic techniques through 1st black belt.
Short and Long Form.
17 Sets (Organized Basics)

Our prime training method is;

Break Stance and Contact Resistance methods.
Break Stance is motion based ground up Kenpo Karate.
"Hips control feet, feet control hands, elbows aim strikes and knees aim kicks".
Contact Resistance is a hands on method of training that relies on realistic and focused attacks that highlight the strengths and weaknesses of your techniques and the basics within them. Hot Hands served here!

If you want to see how I approach Kempo, go to you tube and type in Christian Kempo.

For more information please visit our website: www.trinitykarateforchrist.com

Christian Kempo Taught Here,
Chris Stewart S.I. (Christian Kempo)

Hi Chris,

I have a question about the titles of the leaders of Christian kenpo. I see you are using Chinese titles and I am interested in knowing how you arrived at those titles, for those specific individuals. I bring this up because I often see the titles being mis-used by people who don't really understand what they mean. These titles are used to denote a relationship between two specific people. they are not simply abstract titles in a static hierarchy. They do not mean things like "master" or "grandmaster" or "great grandmaster" or something like that.

So depending on the relationship that these people have with certain other people, the titles may be correct, or they may not be. And if correct within one specific relationship, they may not be correct withing another relationship with a different person. I wanted to make sure you properly understand that.

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

I have a question about the titles of the leaders of Christian kenpo. I see you are using Chinese titles and I am interested in knowing how you arrived at those titles, for those specific individuals. I bring this up because I often see the titles being mis-used by people who don't really understand what they mean. These titles are used to denote a relationship between two specific people. they are not simply abstract titles in a static hierarchy. They do not mean things like "master" or "grandmaster" or "great grandmaster" or something like that.

So depending on the relationship that these people have with certain other people, the titles may be correct, or they may not be. And if correct within one specific relationship, they may not be correct withing another relationship with a different person. I wanted to make sure you properly understand that.

Sigung Cole my instructor
Sifu Chris - me

Siha Katrina (oldest Female student)
Sihing Albert (oldest male student)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sifu Chris - me

I dunno what a "Siha" is but I think you're talking about "simui" for the eldest sister.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD. Please excuse typos & brevity of posts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sifu Chris - me

OK, so to YOUR students, YOU are sifu. To YOU, Mr. Cole is SIFU. Sigung means, essentially, "my teacher's teacher", or kinda "grandfather" while sifu is "my teacher" or kinda "father". So to YOUR students, Mr. Cole is Sigung.

Sihing means MY elder brother in the school, MY elder classmate. I believe the term for ELDEST classmate is Dai Sihing. There are separate terms for younger brother/classmate, and separate terms for elder and younger sister/classmate: I think elder sister is Sijae and eldest sister is Dai Sijae. I don't know all the titles for all the relationships, but these are the ones I'm pretty confident on. So sihing and sijae do not mean student. It indicates the relationship between the students as classmates and "brothers" or "sisters" in the school.

These relationships can change. I studied for over a decade with a teacher, to me he was SIFU. Then he took me to his teacher, my Sigung (my teacher's teacher), and I began to train in his class. For a while I continued to call him Sigung, until one day he told me that he is my SIFU, not my Sigung, because I am studying with him and learning more that I had not learned first from my first sifu. He said, my first sifu is now my SIHING: my elder brother/classmate, and he himself is now my SIFU. The other people in his class were my Sisuk, my "Uncles", but now they are my SIHING, my elder Brothers/Classmates, and the most senior of that group is Dai Sihing, the eldest classmate.

Do you see how these titles are fluid and indicate a specific relationship between two individuals?

My Sifu can have many titles, depending on the person who's relationship is being described. To me he is Sifu. If I have a student, he is Sigung to my student. To his younger classmates from when he was a student, he is Sihing. To the students of his classmates, he is Sisuk. These titles exist simultaneously, because they are only relevant in describing a specific relationship, and those relationships can change, as did mine.

This is why it doesn't really work to use the titles as if they are static positions on a hierarchy or totem pole. If one says, "This is Sigung", well no, he's not MY sigung. He may be SOMEBODY'S sigung but not MINE and I won't call him that. Same with Sihing, sisuk, etc.

I think Sifu gets a bit of latitude in the sense that it's sort of recognized as "teacher" in the general sense and one might say, "Sifu Chris runs that school..." even tho Sifu Chris is not MY sifu. But I don't believe the rest of those titles would be received with that kind of latitude.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FC brings the correct!!

But let's not forget about the sidai/sijye in the class that make life so much fun!!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honest question. Why not just use english titles like senior instructor, chief intsructor or even sensei/master. I know kenpo/kajukenbo also use the professor titles for certain ranks. I know that it says the chinese titles are used in house so to speak, just curious why the use of the chinese titles.

At least you didn't call yourself "Soke", that one always gets me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honest question. Why not just use english titles like senior instructor, chief intsructor or even sensei/master. I know kenpo/kajukenbo also use the professor titles for certain ranks. I know that it says the chinese titles are used in house so to speak, just curious why the use of the chinese titles.

At least you didn't call yourself "Soke", that one always gets me.

Not fond of Soke either...although a close second in my own dislike is gender-specific titles.

If a person has what it takes to be a coach, assistant, leader, head instructor, what have you...then they have what it takes, period. Gender shouldn't be a part of the equation, or the description. This is something IMO addressed quite well with English language titles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Yondanchris

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not fond of Soke either...although a close second in my own dislike is gender-specific titles.

If a person has what it takes to be a coach, assistant, leader, head instructor, what have you...then they have what it takes, period. Gender shouldn't be a part of the equation, or the description. This is something IMO addressed quite well with English language titles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same here Carol,

In Christian Kempo there are 2 sets of "titles" one for family (studio) and one for community. Family titles are Sigung, Sifu, Sibak, Sihing...ect. Community titles are related only to black belt ranks derived from EPAK:

1st Black - Junior Instructor
2nd Black - Associate Instructor
3rd Black - Senior Instructor
4th Black - Head Instructor
5th Black - Associate Professor
6th Black - Professor of the Arts
7th Black - Senior Professor
8th Black - Head Senior Professor
9th Black - Chief Senior Professor

We do not have a 10th Dan, that is representative of the position Jesus holds in our Studio. I dislike the title "Master" as Jesus is Lord and Master over His creation, and I prefer the titles of professor.

As has been stated above, this system is for my students and those of like mind who wish to use the martial arts as a ministry tool to train minds, bodies, and souls for Kingdom Work! I do not dare try to compare Christian Kempo to any other system or style, it is what it is! If you personally have problems with this "I'm sorry" but you will just have to "suck it up!".

Latest Discussions