Dealing with competition nerves

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am going to be competing at a BJJ tournament this Sunday. I am usually a very stressful person, it’s just in my nature and has been since I was young. I have to say these last few weeks leading up to my competition I’ve handled it quite well. I’ve competed before, and I used to have random bouts of extreme stress even if the competition was a month away so I guess I have seen some improvement. However, right now I feel like a ball of nerves. with just 4 days until I’m on the mats, I’m quite nervous. I know that the anticipation itself is often worse than the actual moment. I find the competing itself rather enjoyable, but the nerves kill me. Are there any ways that you guys recommend that I deal with them? Any advice? I’ve read a lot on stoicism, and I understand that just because something unpleasant may happen, that doesnt warrant reason to stress in expectation. That said, I don’t actually know how to stop the stress.

I am well aware that much of the stress is probably due to my expectations of myself. I will be facing the person who submitted me at my last tournament 10 months ago, and I have a big desire to leave having won the tournament. But I don’t like the idea of embracing lower expectation of myself so I can make excuses if l lose.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This won't help for this particular tournament, but pick up tai chi, or a similar cma. Back when I was competing in fencing, I didn't have your issue, but we'd have long days with # of bouts in the double digits. From listening to friends talk about bjj tournaments, my understanding is that it's similar.

If I realized my headspace was wrong, from anxiety/nerves, anger, excitement, or anything else, I'd drop what I was doing and do a quick shaolin form. It let me reset, and helped me deal with whatever emotion that I had.

It'll also help if you start doing the forms when you notice your anxiety is increasing leading up to the bout.

P.S. I've heard yoga has a similar effect, and is good for bjj in general. But I hate yoga, so can't personally recommend/vouch for it.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am going to be competing at a BJJ tournament this Sunday. I am usually a very stressful person, it’s just in my nature and has been since I was young. I have to say these last few weeks leading up to my competition I’ve handled it quite well. I’ve competed before, and I used to have random bouts of extreme stress even if the competition was a month away so I guess I have seen some improvement. However, right now I feel like a ball of nerves. with just 4 days until I’m on the mats, I’m quite nervous. I know that the anticipation itself is often worse than the actual moment. I find the competing itself rather enjoyable, but the nerves kill me. Are there any ways that you guys recommend that I deal with them? Any advice? I’ve read a lot on stoicism, and I understand that just because something unpleasant may happen, that doesnt warrant reason to stress in expectation. That said, I don’t actually know how to stop the stress.

I am well aware that much of the stress is probably due to my expectations of myself. I will be facing the person who submitted me at my last tournament 10 months ago, and I have a big desire to leave having won the tournament. But I don’t like the idea of embracing lower expectation of myself so I can make excuses if l lose.
Breathe and relax. Do activities that you enjoy that are not directly related to the competition. It sounds easy but it’s not. The idea is to give yourself a way to stay positive and away from the negativity and doubt we all have from time to time.

You’ve done the work and have trained to get ready. There is nothing more to do now than to step on the competition floor and see where you are at but to give yourself the best chance to succeed you’ll have to remain calm, confident and above all positive in your outlook. What our mind believes is what happens on the floor. Focus on what you want to happen and let the rest take care of itself. You’ll find out soon enough. Good luck.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m quite nervous.
3 months before your tournament, try to have 15 rounds match every day (you need to have a training partner).

3 days before your tournament, reduce your workout and try not to sweat.

During the tournament, try to chew lemon peel in your mouth.

lemon_peel.jpg

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
During the tournament, try to chew lemon peel in your mouth.
This reminds me, there are certain teas that have a calming effect, which might help your anxiety. There's a lot more that can help with anxiety in general, if that's a problem you have overall, but I'd recommend seeing a therapist about that.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nervousness spoils so many of the things I’d like to do to the point of avoiding them and other than advancing age, nothing has really ameliorated these nerves. The association of the sensation of increased circulating adrenaline/cortisol with the stressor can augment the symptoms of nervousness. Breaking that association is key but how that is best achieved is controversial. Months of talking therapies, hypnosis, electric shocks to the testicles? ⚡️🍒 🤷🏾

But without doubt the issue need to be addressed a long time before the stressful event.

Beta blockers are very effective (they block the effects of adrenaline on the beta receptors and keeping the heart rate down and blood vessels dilated reducing blood pressure and can help break the association between the stressor and the symptoms), but they are classed as doping in sports, are a pharmaceutical substances and can, as they uncouple (wear off) make you feel awful!

Best of luck.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score

Acclimation, acclimation, acclimation. Think of a free diver. First, they have to acclimate to being in the water. Then to the deprivation of air. Then to darkness. The list goes on. It is the same for any activity that gets us outside our comfort zone. I call it moving your circle. You do and you do and you do something until it becomes common and familiar to you. Then, you have control over your nerves and conscience allowing you to focus on the task at hand.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ivan man, I get it. I'm very much the same. Even when I decided to enter a tournament more than a month prior the nerves and anxiety really kicked in for the next few days haha, and I hadn't even entered yet!

Your mindset is really important regarding it all. Of course I know you want to do well, and don't want to lower your expectations of yourself etc, but it's important to not have it as an overarching looming all-or-nothing pressure.

You've done all the training you could, now you can relax and just do your thing. Let your training speak. You can relax now in a way and just honestly have fun on the day. Seeing the comp as a learning experience and a way to become better takes it away from it being a high-stakes thing and into a more curious process where you explore what you're capable of. And again, this isn't a diminishing of your goals to win, even when I compete with a more open (less rigid) attitude I still would like to do well. But moreso I'd like to be proud of how I perform regardless of result. So I still try my absolute best, but the sharp edge is taken off on having to win and it being a reflection of my self-worth and value. I compete as I love doing my favourite thing in the world in a place outside the confines my own dojo, out of my comfort zone, finding new ways to learn and grow in my MA and as a martial artist, and to enjoy the amazing comradery and MA community.

What/how you do is not the most important thing to me, but who/how you ARE is. Carry yourself with dignity, respect, and the fact that you're entering is already a massive win. It already speaks worlds about you. Let who you are dictate your approach, and not let the hypothetical result dictate how you feel about yourself, you know?

Always recommend to connect deeply with your breath. Slow your breathing by bringing it down into lower stomach, but letting it expand your whole body in 360°. Let it deepen naturally without force, and it helps regulate things. Breath is a really, really good anchor and stabilising balm, mentally and physically. @Monkey Turned Wolf's suggestion is also spot on. Doing a form or slow MA movements can really help you unstick and get out of your head. Shake out your shoulders, breathe out your tension and connect to the ground. Moving around in a fluid relaxed way helps to remind you to be more relaxed and fluid physically and also with your thought life and mindset.

Regarding your direct feelings of anxiety, almost treat it like an old friend who comes along with you. And by that I don't mean indulging in all the thoughts and 'what ifs' etc, but staying with the feeling. Keep your attention on the very core of the feeling/sensation itself. Be with it, totally. Is it located anywhere? Is it more diffuse? Just gently rest your attention on the very feeling and be with it without trying to manipulate it in any way whatsoever. Explore it with an attitude of openness and curiosity. When you try and approach with force and control it can often create more internal division and conflict. An attitude of curiosity is powerful and gentler, but very effective in unravelling things. Note: a curiosity that's light, and playful, rather than one with intensity and furrowed brows 🤣. See what happens when you just allow the feeling to be there. Seeing it without any judgement whatsoever and giving it space, in which you are being the space for it to be. It's just an ooooold friend, that's okay. It can be there.

Take your stoicism application to the next level. So there is stress there. Stoicism isn't about getting rid of the stress, because that's also another form of control. Reality is, it's there. You didn't decide to bring the stress there, why would anyone? So let go of controlling it, see what happens.

Realise the anxiety may be there, it may not. It may come and go in waves. But it doesn't have to affect you. Just do your thing, be yourself, express yourself authentically out there on the mats, and mostly mate, enjoy the comp :)

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I'm not sure if this helps but for me I would focus on what was to come. I don't focus on "competition" in stead I focus on things I know that I'll need to do. I "get my head in the game" I choose 3 thinks that I think I'll need to give extra time training and then I mentally run scenarios of me using it in the activity that I'll be doing. This shift to mental focus keeps me occupied. But you can think of it as a competition.

Here's how it works.
1. I have a competition next week.
2 identify 3 things you know you'll need. Work on those 3 things mentally and visualize going through it.
3. Start visualizing how you might start off.
For #3, you want to mentally go fight your opponent before you actually fight your opponent.

After an hour of mentally going through the fight. Relax and clear your mind and don't think about it until your next training session. Once you go through a few of these mental battles you should begin to feel less stressed about the competition day. But when you go against your mental opponents don't think of it as being in a tournament think of it as out doing anyone that faces you.

But again this works for me. I don't like crowds, when I ran track I would focus on the task at hand. When it comes to fighting. I get into the mind set that I'm going to dominate my opponent and I focus on situations and scenarios that I often find myself in.

Then I relax and forget. Because it's not good to be hyped up for a week. Eventually you'll get good at learning to quickly relax because you spent a week of going from Warrior mode to relax mode. You'll also feel better prepared mentally.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score

So much of what we do is in our head. It doesn't exist in the outside world. Expectations don't exist in the world: they are mental constructs that we create in our mind, along with the imagined story of what-will-happen-if-we-lose.

I recommend mindfulness meditation, where you focus on your sensory experience, unmediated (unaffected) by your mind's evaluation, impression, or organization of that sensory experience.

A common sensory experience is the breath. To relax, breathe.
Also, allow yourself to hear the sounds (maybe see the sights) in the room, without evaluating or judging them, and without creating new thoughts based on them. They are just there.

Naturally, our mind intervenes, because it's trying to keep you safe and assess threats real or imaginary, but once we realize that there is no threat in the present moment, we can say to the mind "thanks, but maybe later" or something. Personally, I just go "hm." I then let the thought, (because it's just a thought) sit there, and eventually it dissipates. I kind of watch it as it thrashes about, saying "but, but, ... threat!" and I go "hm" as I watch it.

It can be quite freeing to release ourselves from needing to act on those thoughts that pop up. Yes, they do pop up, but we don't have to act on them in body or mind. We can just watch them, or pay what's called "bare attention" to them. We attend to them without acting on them.

You don't have to sit for a half-hour. Just try this for maybe a few seconds: just pause, breathe, relax, do nothing extra, then move on. If you want, you can do incrementally longer sessions.

The point is to have a practice that you can call up when things are stressful, to just reset a bit, quiet the hyper-vigilant mind, and observe what your senses are telling you about the outside (not inner) world.

... and don't be so hard on yourself. That's an echo of someone else's voice being hard on you. Old stuff, old threats. They are not here, not now.

Hope this helps.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am going to be competing at a BJJ tournament this Sunday. I am usually a very stressful person, it’s just in my nature and has been since I was young. I have to say these last few weeks leading up to my competition I’ve handled it quite well. I’ve competed before, and I used to have random bouts of extreme stress even if the competition was a month away so I guess I have seen some improvement. However, right now I feel like a ball of nerves. with just 4 days until I’m on the mats, I’m quite nervous. I know that the anticipation itself is often worse than the actual moment. I find the competing itself rather enjoyable, but the nerves kill me. Are there any ways that guys recommend that I deal with them? Any advice? I’ve read a lot on stoicism, and I understand that just because something unpleasant may happen, that doesnt warrant reason to stress in expectation. That said, I don’t actually know how to stop the stress.

But I don’t like the idea of embracing lower expectation of myself so I can make excuses if l lose.
To me, these are in direct conflict with each other. At no time do I lower the expectation of myself for any reason. Especially preemptively. That is just cannon fodder in you own head to muck everything else up.
I was extremely competitive in my younger years as well. But I never had much issue with losing as long as I felt I gave my best. I am always quick to look at and analyze what I did wrong or what did not work, then determine whether there is anything I could do better to prevent those occurrences from happening again. I always filmed my matches so me and my coach could go back and study them. Sometimes, I just had to confess I was doing the best I could at a certain strike, block, or counter, and think about how I can work around that reality.
We studied the competition as much as possible. Unless the person is very well seasoned, they could have changed and improved (or regressed) in 10-months. Study/reflect on what went wrong in the last match. What have you done to shore up your skills against these areas?
The old saying that 'you spar yourself, not the opponent' is very true. The opponent is just a non-descript body. What you should practice and see are the attacks/counters coming at you. This takes the big visual, emotional component out of it and frees your mental faculties to recognize and execute faster and more efficiently.
Expectation is great only if you are thinking about the right things. Otherwise, it is just too overwhelming and burns up your mental process.

Latest Discussions