Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the moment, no. Currently going through physical therapy to deal with the migraines and have eliminated chiro and other workouts to focus on that. I expect to restart it shortly.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've been researching it a bit more and doing a bit of yoga from my last teacher and I think my knees are ready to handle it so I may pick it up this week.

Saw a comparison between that and P90X and it said P90X was great but hard on the joints for old guys like me and it required a hell of a lot of time, DDP was easier on old joints and took less time but the results, if you follow the program are similar.

Also a great thing for migraines is acupuncture, it helped mine...but then I get that for free too so I have a bit of an advantage there

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got a lot of needle stickers around me, but the few real acupuncturists are beyond my financial reach atm, and not covered by my insurance. Want to try it, but committing to a couple weeks of sessions isn't feasible atm. :(

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I bought the full package (sans heart monitor) and I finished day 2 yesterday and it may be all in my mind but I do feel a difference today, my knees feel weird but they don't hurt per usual, however I am not yet sure if that is good or bad. I did have to modify a couple poses because of my knees and in one case because I am so out of shape (his pushups). But surprisingly the one posture I absolutely cannot do is the "safety Zone" (aka child's pose) my knees hate that posture.

The diet, I am looking at but I am back on my eating plan I had prior to Christmas and that is already between his stage 2 and 3. But I am not yet sold on the gluten bit, but thinking of giving it a try to find out for myself...although all bets are off if I go to a good Chinese restaurant :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool. I'm planning on restarting this weekend. Got the ok from the PT folks so time to get back into things. The gluten free things hard for me....I mean, I like pizza. :D

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gluten free was very hard for me to adhere to as well. But, my body is so much healthier without it. I do like pizza, and I freaking love pasta. :D But now that I have adjusted to not having the gluten in me, I feel so. much. better. Much less inflammation issues than what I used to have, esp. in my lungs. This has meant less asthma issues and far less colds and other forms of respiratory misery. I've was able solidly make the connection between wheat/gluten and the respiratory issues by noting how I feel the times I have fallen off the wagon.

Everyone's mileage will vary. But I can honestly say that what keeps me on the gluten-free path is not someone just telling me to do it, its how much better I feel. And feeling good just rocks :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Cool. I'm planning on restarting this weekend. Got the ok from the PT folks so time to get back into things. The gluten free things hard for me....I mean, I like pizza. :D

Gluten free was very hard for me to adhere to as well. But, my body is so much healthier without it. I do like pizza, and I freaking love pasta. :D But now that I have adjusted to not having the gluten in me, I feel so. much. better. Much less inflammation issues than what I used to have, esp. in my lungs. This has meant less asthma issues and far less colds and other forms of respiratory misery. I've was able solidly make the connection between wheat/gluten and the respiratory issues by noting how I feel the times I have fallen off the wagon.

Everyone's mileage will vary. But I can honestly say that what keeps me on the gluten-free path is not someone just telling me to do it, its how much better I feel. And feeling good just rocks :)

I was reading the book that came with DDP Yoga and he did recommend a couple companies that does all Gluten Free; Namaste and Pamela's.

I found Namaste near me and look what they have

51yQSgBOJLL._SY300_.jpg

I'm thinking about giving Gluten free a try, I will not have a big issue with pizza but I do like bread. However pre-Christmas I was following the ideas of Joel Fuhrman on eating and I had cut way back so I could cut down but as for stop...I doubt it. So I if I decide to give the gluten free a try I will be buying some Namaste flour so make some bread and muffins

With the arthritis that as developed in my knees and hip since the last round of injuries Gluten free may be the way to go.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bet it is good! I've used the gluten-free pizza crust mix from Bob's Red Mill. Its delicious, I've even used it in other recipes. I've made bread sticks with it when I was having guests, and to make the dumplings for chicken and dumpling soup :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And speaking of gluten free...like I said...if I go to a good Chinese restaurant all bets are off....I'm supposed to go to one in a few minutes that specializes in Chinese noodles......I guess I'm not Gluten free tonight.:D

Originally, based on Joel Fuhrman's diet I did cut down, way down.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And speaking of gluten free...like I said...if I go to a good Chinese restaurant all bets are off....I'm supposed to go to one in a few minutes that specializes in Chinese noodles......I guess I'm not Gluten free tonight.:D

Originally, based on Joel Fuhrman's diet I did cut down, way down.

There's no gluten in rice, and there's some darn good rice noodles out there :D

Side note....can you imagine my surprise when I learned there is no gluten in "glutenous rice"? (Also called sweet rice or sticky rice) Turns out the name is from the consistency...and not the actual ingredient.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There's no gluten in rice, and there's some darn good rice noodles out there :D

Side note....can you imagine my surprise when I learned there is no gluten in "glutenous rice"? (Also called sweet rice or sticky rice) Turns out the name is from the consistency...and not the actual ingredient.

Yeah, I'll be having some of that too :D

I did not know that, there may be hope for me after all :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Still doing this and following the Yoga side of this program, in week 3 and so far I do think it is helping my flexibility and when I'm done I actually can tell my posture is better. I will admit that I am not just doing DDP Yoga though. On the days I am not supposed ot be doing DDP...and occasion ally on the day s I do DDP I am doing Yoga ansanas and a Sun salutation from by previous yoga training. And of course I am doing Taijiquan too.

I am going to go through the 13 weeks beginner program and after that I will decide if I am going to go through the 13 weeks intermediate program or not. At that time I will also be seriously considering getting back into yoga much more seriously, I am loving this workout and the Yoga is has gotten me back to. I also found, much to my surprise, that there are 4 certified Kripalu Yoga teachers that are rather close to my area. Kripalu was the first yoga I tried...many many years ago.

The injuries had taken me out of Yoga and it appears that DDP is putting me in a position to consider a serious return to it

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great that you are feeling better! :) :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Week 4 done and I lost interest.

It is a good program and I will continue to do the Diamond Cutter because I think it is that posture and its rooting that helped my knees but I feel I can gain more from a regular old yoga sequence; opening, sun salutations, followed by other poses and then a closing.

Noting wrong with DDP, I do think it will do what it claims, especially if you follow the diet, and it did get me back to yoga so its all good.

But DAMN!!! This means I am MUCH more peaceful that I EVER thought I was :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions