Custom Dummy

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have connections with people that do construction work you might be able to get a 5 foot length of PVC pipe that is close to the right circumference for a dummy trunk. I looked into once and it seemed like all I could find was either too narrow or too wide. But you could with too wide and have a dummy that looks a little like the ones used in Vietnamese Wing Chun! ;-)

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have connections with people that do construction work you might be able to get a 5 foot length of PVC pipe that is close to the right circumference for a dummy trunk. I looked into once and it seemed like all I could find was either too narrow or too wide. But you could with too wide and have a dummy that looks a little like the ones used in Vietnamese Wing Chun! ;-)

More than likely be able to get that at a Travis Perkins building merchant near me. That is a good idea actually. Could put a drain in it (if physically viable with the arms) and fill with water. When needing to move it, just drain it. Mmm, going to have a look more into that.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most PVC pipe of that diameter will have pretty thick walls and so have some decent mass to it. Then if you put some kind of padding on it that will weight it down some more. I think you'd fine it will work just fine like that. If you wanted some added weight I don't think filling with water would work. You would need to cap off the bottom and then fill the lower part with sand up to the level of the holes for the lower supports.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
More than likely be able to get that at a Travis Perkins building merchant near me. That is a good idea actually. Could put a drain in it (if physically viable with the arms) and fill with water. When needing to move it, just drain it. Mmm, going to have a look more into that.

What is going to hold the water in?
Have to plug or cap the bottom and when getting to the area of the bottom lat or leg hole the water will leak or slosh out when using the dummy. The body needs to be able to shift or rock on the slates and the arms need to be able to move within the holes to give the body and arms movement. The dummy is not designed to be rigid but to simulate the movement in an opponent's arms and body when applying the force properly into the dummy.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is going to hold the water in?
Have to plug or cap the bottom and when getting to the area of the bottom lat or leg hole the water will leak or slosh out when using the dummy. The body needs to be able to shift or rock on the slates and the arms need to be able to move within the holes to give the body and arms movement. The dummy is not designed to be rigid but to simulate the movement in an opponent's arms and body when applying the force properly into the dummy.

Well, without having a piece of piping to hand, I can only speculate. I have formed a few thoughts on it, as I was aware the arms have movement doh. Hence physically viable :D

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could make one from PVC finding materials would the trick.

Check this out: PVC Wing Chun Dummy - Everything Wing Chun

My advice just give it a go making a wooden one.

Thanks. Not a bad price considering the exchange rate and shipping costs. Not sure about the import tax though at this point. My issue though is lack of a workshop. If I had that I would use a lathe myself, but would have to use a local joiner, if the main body needed extensive work.

One good thing is that when I move next month, the house owner (friend) is a WC practitioner, so we have been discussing the possibility of going halves on the cost. As such a ready made one may well be the best course of action for now. Plus also theoretical reverse engineering of sorts by seeing how the dummy has been built. Thanks for the advice though, been very helpful!

Latest Discussions