Curious about the differences in judo\jjj and bjj.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just disagree with you. It's okay. Don't take it personally or get defensive.

For what it's worth, I do know you are a proponent of cross training. Apparently, only a very specific kind, though.
You just keep getting worse. You seem to care less about what people actually say, and more about disagreeing with those you prefer to disagree with.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In this sentence, you're actually arguing against your other arguments. You often say that training without fight application (which you narrowly define as sanctioned competition or actual fight-for-survival scenarios) has no benefit to fight skills. Yet somehow breakdancing is almost as good as BJJ training for fight skill development??
Not quite. I actually have a very broad definition of application, and what I'm talking about has nothing to do with it. You still need to do something to become an expert in that thing. Lifting weights might make you stronger, and being stronger might help your BJJ, bit you still have to use the BJJ to become an expert in it.

I'm not sure if you're yanking my chain... Who said breakdancing is fighting? Is weightlifting also fighting? No? But cannot help you fight?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You just keep getting worse. You seem to care less about what people actually say, and more about disagreeing with those you prefer to disagree with.
okay. Is that a personal attack? If not, could you explain how it related to the thread?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite. I actually have a very broad definition of application, and what I'm talking about has nothing to do with it. You still need to do something to become an expert in that thing. Lifting weights might make you stronger, and being stronger might help your BJJ, bit you still have to use the BJJ to become an expert in it.

I'm not sure if you're yanking my chain... Who said breakdancing is fighting? Is weightlifting also fighting? No? But cannot help you fight?
You literally spent pages arguing with me that sparring isn’t application, but competition is, even if the same people are involved under the same agreed rules. Disavowing that view?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So is table tennis. And hopscotch. Are those also basically the same thing as BJJ?
I'm genuinely confused at who suggested breakdancing is "basically the same thing as BJJ.". Where is this coming from? Though if that's what you think, it makes more sense why you're posting as you are.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You literally spent pages arguing with me that sparring isn’t application, but competition is, even if the same people are involved under the same agreed rules. Disavowing that view?
Serious question. Have you been drinking?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sorry. To answer the question, sparring isn't application. It's training. That's still true and always will be, unless being an expert sparring partner is the training goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions